Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Re: Royal Navy is here

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

I have a ticket to visit the ships in Garden Island on Monday and tomorrow night I am staying with my youngest son to watch the fireworks from his flat in Neutral Bay.
Our daughter and ex son-in-law had an apartment on the water edge at Neutral Bay. We spent many happy holidays there and saw in two New Years with a magnificent view of the fireworks on Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Enjoy!! I envy you.

Glasses raised to the Australian Navy.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty. I don't know about checking for contamination but they will probably be checking the hull very carefully, last time a RN ship ventured this far east of Suez the poor bugger ran into some well charted rocks and had to go home on a Dutch barge (HMS Nottingham).

I am hoping that HMS Daring will be at Garden Island so I can go on board, I'd like to get a look at the Chinese and US guided missile ships too

Yes Bruce I remember it well - sent an email to the then Secretary of Defence teling him to pass on the sterling advice that emanated from the radio programme "The Navy Lark" wherein Leslie Phillips instructed the helmsman, not in the usual naval orders but said "Left hand down a bit". Had the navigation Officer instructed the Helmsman on board HMS Nottingham in similar fashion, I strongly suspect the accident on Wolf Rock wouldn't have happened.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 10:04 PM

I think CPO Pertwee's "Everybody down" more likely.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 11:39 AM

HMS Daring is on the extreme left in this picture she really stands out.

I don't think I have ever seen the harbour so full of boats even more than when the Queen opened the Opera House. I went across the harbour bridge (in a bus) at 11am and the walkway was already packed with people watching the harbour and many more seemed to be on their way.

BTW I have a new hat!

...and this is a bit of the fireworks as well as a glimpse of HMS Daring and Prince Harry:

I only filmed bits of it because I wanted to watch - the fireworks lasted half an hour and involved 7000 tonnes of them - much bigger than New Years Eve. For the first time some were set off from naval vessels which involved getting special approval to take explosives aboard a warship!! Ya gotta laugh
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Bruce I remember it well - sent an email to the then Secretary of Defence teling him to pass on the sterling advice that emanated from the radio programme "The Navy Lark" wherein Leslie Phillips instructed the helmsman, not in the usual naval orders but said "Left hand down a bit". Had the navigation Officer instructed the Helmsman on board HMS Nottingham in similar fashion, I strongly suspect the accident on Wolf Rock wouldn't have happened.
Was there ever an enquiry to find out how it happened? They must have been asleep (or drunk?) on the bridge because the rocks are well known and charted. I read somewhere that they ended up scrapping the ship when it got back to the UK.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 11:58 AM

What a spectacular event, Bruce ..... I watched recordings of it on our BBC news and quite envied you being there and able to witness it all in person

Thanks for posting the photos and the video!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Was there ever an enquiry to find out how it happened? They must have been asleep (or drunk?) on the bridge because the rocks are well known and charted. I read somewhere that they ended up scrapping the ship when it got back to the UK.

Bruce matey, I know there was a 'court of enquiry' into the incident and the Captain & a couple of other senior officers aboard were 'court marshalled', however the results of that courts marshall have, to my knowledge never been published. HMS Notttingham was repaired, refloated and re-commissioned and saw service (I believe) in the 'Gulf'. She was de-commissioned and scrapped subsequently. I remember seeing it on the news at the time, but cannot now remember precisely when.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 01:37 PM

I too saw an item about it on the news Bruce it looked amazing and certainly something to be seen in person if one had the chance.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 08:33 PM

I've really enjoyed this thread Bruce, thanks for starting it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Today I travelled up to Sydney again for the Warships Open Day.

I was a little disappointed because the US, UK and the Chinese vessels were not there (they might have been at the open day on the other side of the bridge) however there were ships from India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Japan, Thailand as well as a few other countries whose flags I didn't recognise on display and open for visits. It was a wonderful day out and very well organised. All the tickets were sold out days ago.

I bought another hat! I left my favourite hat on a bus travelling from Penang to Alor Setar in August so today I brought this hat on the Malaysian guided missile cruiser KD Jebat. The sailor assured me it was only worn by officers. I visit Malaysia several times a year so I shall cut an impressive figure when I next go through customs and immigration. I shall expect salutes all round

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top