Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Re: Nick Griffin "bankrupt"

It does Pats - only in his case, he's out to make a fast buck....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 01:58 PM

I seem to remember that when Jeffrey Archer went bankrupt he was no longer entitled to be an MP, I wonder, should that happen to Nick Griffin too???
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I seem to remember that when Jeffrey Archer went bankrupt he was no longer entitled to be an MP..
I wonder should that happen to Nick Griffin too?
I do believe that Jeffrey Archer resigned from Parliament over a financial scandal which left him almost bankrupt.

Changes to the law in 2002 which came into force in 2004 mean bankruptcy does not in itself, disqualify anyone from being an elected representative or standing for office.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I do believe that Jeffrey Archer resigned from Parliament over a financial scandal which left him almost bankrupt.

Changes to the law in 2002 which came into force in 2004 mean bankruptcy does not in itself, disqualify anyone from being an elected representative or standing for office.
Interesting double standards here. If you are a doctor or I think a lawyer and you become bankrupt you are struck off the register and can no longer practice. Whereas if you are a politician it doesn't matter!!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Interesting double standards here. If you are a doctor or I think a lawyer and you become bankrupt you are struck off the register and can no longer practice. Whereas if you are a politician it doesn't matter!!
I did say bankruptcy 'in itself' ......as there can be extenuating circumstances.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

I did say bankruptcy 'in itself' ......as there can be extenuating circumstances.
Your point being?
Bankruptcy in itself does disqualify doctors and lawyers from continuing to practise as far as I am aware, so why should it not disqualify politicians from holding office?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

05-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Also, as an aside, I suspect that the majority of people who are declared bankrupt actually have rather a lot of money but just know how to play the game.
Pats
Lincolnshire

05-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Your point being?
Bankruptcy in itself does disqualify doctors and lawyers from continuing to practise as far as I am aware, so why should it not disqualify politicians from holding office?
My point is that there are circumstances involving bankruptcy where politicians are also disqualified from standing or holding office.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

05-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Ok and my point is why should politicians be treated differently to doctors/lawyers when it comes to bankruptcy regardless of the circumstances?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

In my opinion it should preclude them from standing as MPs - if they can't run their own household and finances without sending themselves into ruin, they shouldn't be in charge of public finances or the publics welfare!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top