Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Future Humans.

Photo: Courtesy of Nickolay Lamm
The future is always unknown, especially the distant future, but that shouldn’t stop us from making educated guesses. That’s exactly what artist and researcher Nickolay Lamm did with help from Dr. Alan Kwan, who has a doctorate in computational genomics from Washington University. Their starting point was the question: “What do you think the human face might look like in 100,000 years and why?”
From there, they reasoned out how humanity with advanced genetic engineering technology might reshape itself over time, taking over the role played by natural selection so far. Lamm then created a series of images of what he thinks the human face might look like 20,000 years, 60,000 years and 100,000 years in the future (Note: He said that we shouldn’t read too much into the fact that the man and woman are Caucasian because those were just the best models he could find).

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/resear...#ixzz3EYhs1ta1
They reckon this is what humans will look like in 100,000 years, they don't look very happy do they?, ain’t you glad you won’t be around. If I had eyes like that I’d be afraid to look down on my plate when I’m eating in case me eyes dropped out and became part of the meal, and I wouldn’t even know because I wouldn’t see it. Specsavers will be out of business, who needs glasses with eyes like that, mini safety nets underneath would be more practical.
Jeepers Creepers where'd you get those peepers.
Rob B
Solihull, UK
Rob B is male  Rob B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 08:23 PM

Re: Future Humans.

Personally I think that, assuming we survive that long, mankind will 'evolve' in a completely different way. I think that 100,000 years is too short a period for even that minor difference to evolve, after all modern man (Homo sapiens) has been around essentially unchanged for nearly 200,000 years. Natural evolution is driven by need, and I don't think the need for larger eyes is necessary, given that modern man spends most of his life in lighted conditions natural or otherwise. I suspect that man's natural evolution has essentially been brought to a halt as we have come to control our environment more and more. Yes, man has, on average, grown taller and lives longer than a few hundred years ago but this is due to advances in nutrition and medicine rather than evolution.

I think future man will be changed not by evolution but by artificial modification. Already we see the rudimentary beginnings of man/machine integration in the case of the quadriplegic who had a chip implanted in his brain which has given him some control over his previously unuseable limbs.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 09:12 PM

"I think future man will be changed not by evolution but by artificial modification. Already we see the rudimentary beginnings of man/machine integration in the case of the quadriplegic who had a chip implanted in his brain which has given him some control over his previously unusable limbs"

Yes Rob you make a good point there, I’m sure once they conquer the rejection problems in the human body we will see rapid advances in the body implant department until perhaps finally we will be all machine and never die, or maybe then the real smart machines will kill off anything with a trace of the original human left in them until we become extinct altogether. After all everyone can only guess at this point what things will be like.
I think mankind is doomed anyway, they have had plenty of time to resolve their differences and all that’s happened is things get worse every day, so they destroy each other and become extinct, big deal, it’s not the end of the world is it, maybe the beginning of a better one for everything else on this planet.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 09:26 PM

I seriously think that man and machine will come together to give superman.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:52 PM

I think we'll change considerably in just 1,000 years - once we master genetics, we'll be able to remodel ourselves how we want; better eyesight, 100 times the memory, bigger muscles, self repairing - only our imagination will be the limit.

We don't have to miss out on the fun either - Cryonics can freeze patients in a state of near life and one day reanimated. If I had the money I would do it

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top