Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Re: Wallpapering

I used to help my dad wall papering but I have never done it in any of the houses that we have lived in.

I used to love painting, I used to come home from work and paint a room before going to bed or for bigger rooms over the weekend.

I can no longer do this so I get someone in to paint the rooms for us. Not cheap but if it needs doing needs must.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 02:45 PM

I've always done all the decorating, wallpapering included, I still enjoy doing it but don't do as much as I used to, think the novelty has worn off!!
My parents always argued when they decorated which ended with my Dad going to the pub - think he planned it!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 03:47 PM

I was completely useless at wallpapering until we moved here.

I was completely useless after three attempts while we lived here.

I learned!

Now, although I do not like wallpapering, I have a whole stock of dos & don't s that I've gained through making a balls-up of what should be a simple , straight-forward task.

I have a bedroom to redo that I first did several years ago.

Looking at it now, with a slightly more experienced eye, I think " God, I made a mess of that!" and it is true but I recognise that fact and I know now that I can do it it better; rectify the mess and cover up any iffy bits like a professional!

I've just done some work downstairs and it looks so good that I keep thinking "Did I really do that?" so my advice is to try and do it yourself but, failing that, look it all up on the 'net and see if you can work out where you are making a balls-up - it helps. When you've done all that but the answer is you are just not a DIYer, call someone in! stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 06:14 PM

I've always done the wallpapering at home. I don't always enjoy it - especially doing the stairs & landing where there are some very long stripes to hang.

When it comest to the other DIY, I do the building, plumbing, electrics (and YES, you are allowed to do it yourself) etc... Mrs G does the plastering and painting (which I don't like) .
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 01:53 AM

I've got a similar landing which is awkward to paper or paint the facing walls
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 01:08 PM

I've finished my livingroom and the new curtain pole and curtains are up and it looks nice. I took a day off work last week to paint all day. Have to say I still hate DIY . I felt as though I'd done a workout the next day as my muscles were aching, especially after painting the ceiling. That'll be it for another while, but I'm quite proud of myself
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've always done the wallpapering at home. I don't always enjoy it - especially doing the stairs & landing where there are some very long stripes to hang.

When it comest to the other DIY, I do the building, plumbing, electrics (and YES, you are allowed to do it yourself) etc... Mrs G does the plastering and painting (which I don't like) .
Just noticed this! Looks lovely. I've a big landing too, but I'll take my time with that and do it myself.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 01:18 PM

I used to do all the wallpapering in our house due to my husband being unable to use ladders. I really enjoyed it and was grateful that I learnt how to do it from my Dad when in my teens. I never let on to my husband though how terrified I was when I had to do the hall, stairs and landing ..... we live in a Victorian house and the drop from top of the landing to the hall was big!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 09:32 PM

I hate decorating and never ever do any. The few times I´ve been the "assistant" I´ve made a right mess of everything, so when any decorating is to be done I´m literally thrown out and told to keep away and that´s about the only time I ever do as I´m told.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2014, 01:29 AM

Wallpapering dont go there like another writer here my dad used to enroll us all in the dreaded wallpapering missions carried out at home.

Its Emulsion all the way for me but any decorating is a complete nightmare beacuse the whole house gets untidy very quickly . I have to completely empty a room before I start and I always use old fashioned White Gloss for the woodwork which drips , cant stand non drip gloss its like putting glue on the woodwork. So it all takes much longer to do 16 hrs drying time between coats each time we decide to decorate. SSsssssshhhhh just dont mention decorating to my wife because we need to do some soon ! ! !

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top