Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 10:21 PM

Garden Sheds

I believe a while back, we had a thread about sheds, but this amused me today.

Apparently there is actually a "Shed of the Year" competition. True enthusiasts call themselves "Sheddies" , how about that. These "Sheddies" spend 1 year of their life in their shed! (maybe the missus locked them in)?

Research carried out in connection with the competition found that 12% of Brits feel at their happiest when they spend time in their shed, while 23% of men claim that spending time in their shed makes them feel more masculine!!

Have we got any "Sheddies" on here to verify that?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Re: Garden Sheds

I bet 'our Jem' will agree with that wholeheartedly, Mups

Maybe he will shed some light on that tomorrow
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:14 PM

How the 'eck can staying in the shed make someone feel more masculine?
How weird is that . . .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How the 'eck can staying in the shed make someone feel more masculine?
How weird is that . . .
I suppose it's better than being in the doghouse
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 02:58 AM

There is a movement in Australia called 'Australian Men's Shed Association' it is ever increasing in popularity. It is a very grassroots men's organisation, sort of a WI (CWA here) for men.

It is very big - locally there are a number of Mens Sheds.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 05:15 AM

I watched a program on the box a few months back about "Shed of the Year",some of them were smarter than my house !
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 05:31 PM

My garden sheds are just that-sheds. One has room for my rotovator,shredder,mower and strimmer. The other is home for tools posts,canes,pots etc.

Downsizing is going to be tricky
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 07:55 PM

I would be more the traditional shedee, don’t go in for fancy “Theme Sheds” just plenty of handy junk about, although I have a TV, security cameras, computer and printer out there, thats as fancy as it gets, but absolutely no phone, no privacy where phones are, I hate the bloody things.
I don’t know where they got the masculine bit from Mups, that confuses me, what do they mean by that?, I know a woman up the street from me who loves her shed, she's even got more junk than I have and she's very handy at fixing things like lawn mowers and hedge trimmers, does some metal sculpture as well. She invited me in one day and I was very impressed, some high class junk there, her hubby is a useless lump of lard, all he does is sit in front of the TV all day, I tried to make conversation with him when I was in the house, all I got back was a few low grunts, ain't she lucky she has her shed I thought.
But I do love my old shed, both for work and messing around, always trying to think of something new and simple. It’s the only place where I can get complete solitude, nobody comes near me when I’m there, I just love it and I highly recommend it to any man or woman, great for keeping the blood pressure down too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I would be more the traditional shedee, don’t go in for fancy “Theme Sheds” just plenty of handy junk about, although I have a TV, security cameras, computer and printer out there, thats as fancy as it gets, but absolutely no phone, no privacy where phones are, I hate the bloody things.
I don’t know where they got the masculine bit from Mups, that confuses me, what do they mean by that?, I know a woman up the street from me who loves her shed, she's even got more junk than I have and she's very handy at fixing things like lawn mowers and hedge trimmers, does some metal sculpture as well. She invited me in one day and I was very impressed, some high class junk there, her hubby is a useless lump of lard, all he does is sit in front of the TV all day, I tried to make conversation with him when I was in the house, all I got back was a few low grunts, ain't she lucky she has her shed I thought.
But I do love my old shed, both for work and messing around, always trying to think of something new and simple. It’s the only place where I can get complete solitude, nobody comes near me when I’m there, I just love it and I highly recommend it to any man or woman, great for keeping the blood pressure down too.:-D

Good for you Jem, and may you have many more years enjoying your shed as well. I must admit, I spend many a happy hour transplanting and potting things in mine too.
And I'm pleased to say, it doesn't make me feel masculine.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2014, 03:13 AM

I Have my shed, it's like a lot of sheds I guess, untidy but I know where everything is and I can lay my hands on anything I need from it. Occasionally I have a Shed Sorting Session where I empty the entire contents all over my lawn , sort it all out and put it back in. I also have a store room attached to our house and it is a lot more tidy. It has a fridge in it with a stock of beer in it. An old stack hi Fi system where I can play me old L.Ps and an ancient computer which still runs fine oh and some book cases where I store our ever increasing book collections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top