Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:51 PM

Re: Do you know people over 50 who are not web users?

I know that most of the old men/women I have a pint with never bother with the internet and don't want to learn about using it either, they are strictly newspaper readers and TV men/women, they are quite happy to let it all pass them by, I suppose it's a case of what you don't use you'll never miss.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Oh I know loads... I regularly help my neighbour who is only 54 with her internet banking because she gets in a tizz and mum only got an Ipad last year and uses it for youtube and the dreaded FB.

A lot of the people I work for as a carer used computers in their workplaces but didnt bother to get them at home, they now cant see a reason to bother..
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 07:10 PM

Yes, I know a few people in there 50's that don't use computers at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 07:32 PM

I think the extended article is mainly about scam mail ie mail delivered to a post box rather than online...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34489206

Victims of scam mail have an average age of 74 and have typically lost more than Ģ1,000, investigators have confirmed.
Teams of officers working for National Trading Standards (NTS) identified 10,843 victims in the year to April.
The average loss was Ģ1,184 - about Ģ13m in total - but officers think hidden losses are much higher.
They identified nearly 200,000 potential victims on so-called "suckers lists" sold between con-artists.

Overall, NTS estimates that prize draw scams cost the UK public Ģ60m a year, with an estimated 380,000 victims each year.
In one case, officers in Merthyr Tydfil visited a woman who was addicted to responding to scam mail. Her life savings had been spent and it took time for her to talk to her family about what had happened and to take control of her finances again.
Officers said that older, more vulnerable, people were being targeted.
Over the year, they secured more than Ģ385,000 of compensation for victims, although this was still a fraction of total losses.
It is the concept of 'something for nothing' and greed which seems to attract some people to scams. Common sense should tell them their expectations are misguided .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 07:36 PM

I know quite a few over 50s who either donīt have a computer or have one that they donīt really know how to use.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 04:25 AM

Yes, me too. At our U3A I hear many people saying they don't have a computer and don't want one. Although, I also know some who said that but when the family gave or bought them a tablet, they got right into it, but mainly for games and emails. And there are some pensioners who can't afford the internet.

I think a lot depends on your education and working background too. Some people seem very afraid of computers and the internet when they actually take much greater risks every time they get in a cat or cross the road.

I remember one old chap who proudly told me he had the answer for all these scammers - he wrote them a rude email back - had no idea he was doing exactly what they wanted.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Many people as has been said have no internet and no interest in it at all. All ages too not just over 50s.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many people as has been said have no internet and no interest in it at all. All ages too not just over 50s.
That's very true Julie. My daughter has it on her phone but rarely uses it - and then only to Google or book a ticket for something or other.
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:40 AM

I'm getting on for 80 and most of my friends don't bother with the internet. Neither of my sisters use it. My twin sister can't even really work her mobile, She keeps asking people how to use it, and she actually managed to ring me the other day using it.
I seem to get an awful lot of scammers wanting to be in my skype contacts. I always decline and click on the scam bit as well.
My scam emails get deleted as soon as I see them, I do seem to get rather a lot, especially since Sky started using Yahoo email.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top