Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Re: Anyone had a prostate biopsy ?

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
In my case they took several samples.
So they do, but it is still possible to miss cancer cells.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Blood tests are notoriously unreliable for this condition. Many false positives and false negatives. Even a biopsy cannot always be relied upon, depending on exactly where they take the tissue sample.
The other way is for the Doctor to stick his finger up your Arse....sorry cant spell rectum.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
The other way is for the Doctor to stick his finger up your Arse....sorry cant spell rectum.
I found it was far more than his finger that was used. That is only to establish that the prostate is enlarged.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 12:27 AM

Just get your hubby to tell them it's ok to discuss this matter with you.
Once done they aren't breaching patient confidentiality laws or data protection.

This can be done over the phone.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Just get your hubby to tell them it's ok to discuss this matter with you.
Once done they aren't breaching patient confidentiality laws or data protection.

This can be done over the phone.
You've more confidence in bureaucrats than I have!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I found it was far more than his finger that was used. That is only to establish that the prostate is enlarged.
And my point as this happened to my neighbour he went for his 6 monthly blood test as all us over 70 do and they found he had prostrate cancer.

There Had not been any normal signs of Prostrate trouble.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

17-07-2016, 04:53 PM

Blood tests are notoriously unreliable for this condition. Many false
Boy I knew in his 50s CEO of an import clothing firm no weight on him..played golf every Friday fit looking sod

Went on a cruise with his wife and became ill and went to the Ship's Doctor who examined him could find nothing wrong but did say go see your doctor when you get home, next day felt alright and had a nice holiday.

When he got home went to see his doctor (BUPA scum bag) who ordered a Blood test result came back he had had a very mild Heart Attack.

Blood test tell a doctor more that a figure up the arse.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Blood tests are notoriously unreliable for this condition. Many false positives and false negatives. Even a biopsy cannot always be relied upon, depending on exactly where they take the tissue sample.
Originally Posted by galty ->
Boy I knew in his 50s CEO of an import clothing firm no weight on him..played golf every Friday fit looking sod

Went on a cruise with his wife and became ill and went to the Ship's Doctor who examined him could find nothing wrong but did say go see your doctor when you get home, next day felt alright and had a nice holiday.

When he got home went to see his doctor (BUPA scum bag) who ordered a Blood test result came back he had had a very mild Heart Attack.

Blood test tell a doctor more that a figure up the arse.
Of course blood tests are invaluable for ascertaining many conditions, but prostate cancer isn't one of them unfortunately. Google it.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Prostateh.../psa-test.aspx
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Of course blood tests are invaluable for ascertaining many conditions, but prostate cancer isn't one of them unfortunately.

The PSA test is a blood test that measures the amount of prostate specific antigen (PSA) in your blood. PSA is a protein produced by normal cells in the prostate and also by prostate cancer cells. It is normal for all men to have a small amount of PSA in their blood, and this amount rises as you get older. A raised PSA level may suggest you have a problem with your prostate, but not necessarily cancer.

You can have a PSA test at your GP surgery. You will need to discuss it with your GP first. At some GP surgeries, you can discuss the test with the practice nurse, and they can do a test if you decide you want one.

The PSA blood test after the rectal examination is another routine diagnostic check.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-07-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
The PSA test is a blood test that measures the amount of prostate specific antigen (PSA) in your blood. PSA is a protein produced by normal cells in the prostate and also by prostate cancer cells. It is normal for all men to have a small amount of PSA in their blood, and this amount rises as you get older. A raised PSA level may suggest you have a problem with your prostate, but not necessarily cancer.

You can have a PSA test at your GP surgery. You will need to discuss it with your GP first. At some GP surgeries, you can discuss the test with the practice nurse, and they can do a test if you decide you want one.

The PSA blood test after the rectal examination is another routine diagnostic check.
Yes, I had one done only a few months ago although, as I said earlier, I was warned that they result in a number of false negatives and sometimes false positives. I was aware of this, but asked for one anyway.

It came back negative...

but it could have been a false negative!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top