Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 08:48 AM

I hate doing it but another complaint has been logged against NHS staff

I love the NHS, or the principles behind the idea.

As some may know my mum was readmitted to hospital last Week(Monday night)with a suspected infection.

She'd started to hallucinate and her temp went through the roof.

They ran many tests ruling this out, ruling that out, including a UTI which was first thought to be the culprit, until they told me it was an infection in the brain. She was moved to another ward, started another treatment but still her confused state worsened.

On Monday, at about midday, I received a call telling me she'd be home later that day.

She arrived home at about 6pm and a note asking me to collect her meds from the hospital was handed to me.
My mum advised me that she had infact got a UTI afterall.

Within a couple of hours she was confused and agitated once again. That night I had about 2 or 3 hours sleep.

The following morning I went to the hospital, I wanted answers from the doctors.
1) How did they miss the UTI last week?
2) When did they actually find out it was infact a UTI?
3) when did they decide she was fit for discharge?

The answers stunned me.
They disputed they'd missed the infection even though both doctors told me, on Saturday, that she hadn't got a UTI.

They'd been informed that tests for a UTI were positive at 10am on Monday and decided she was ok for discharge at 11.30 am.

So, she is diagnosed as having a UTI and within two hours they feel fit to discharge her, even though she's been very confused for a week, no monitoring of her condition after being prescribed new meds, no checking to see if her care needs can be catered for, if carers notified of her return and the commencement of visits confirmed, no contact with me to explain what they'd found etc.......absolutely ridiculous.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Re: I hate doing it but another complaint has been logged against NHS staff

Sorry to hear this Tpin. The discharging of elderly patients, before they have recovered sufficiently, really does anger me. I hasten to add I have no experience of this, but I feel sorry for anybody who has had to deal with it.

Hope she gets better soon.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 09:29 AM

I feel for you Tpin. It's a disgrace.
I agree that you should make an official complaint.

How's your mum now?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Your poor mum, and you tpin, I really think they need to answer your questions and make sure this doesn't happen again. If you need help with the complaint ask UJ he's brilliant with hospitals ! Helped me no end.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Your poor mum, and you tpin, I really think they need to answer your questions and make sure this doesn't happen again. If you need help with the complaint ask UJ he's brilliant with hospitals ! Helped me no end.
I've done the complaint already but thanks for the recommendation.

We have a team of lawyers suing the NHS (Stepping Hill Hospital)at the moment so they're there should I need them.

Thanks to all for your replies and pm's.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:07 AM

I hope your mum is better very soon and that such a thing never happens again.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:28 AM

Just imagine what it will be like when you have no NHS to complain about.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
I hope it never comes to that Moreover
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->

This is not the time nor the place.
There's a political section for your views.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I've done the complaint already but thanks for the recommendation.

We have a team of lawyers suing the NHS (Stepping Hill Hospital)at the moment so they're there should I need them.

Thanks to all for your replies and pm's.
Sorry to hear this, Terry. The main thing is to ensure she receives proper treatment now, although a lawsuit is bound to deliver a metaphorical kick up the backside.

At the end of the day, I'm afraid all you're going to get is an official statement: "Lessons have been learnt". Disgusting, I know, but it's what they do.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top