Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:04 AM

Muscular back ache.

At present I'm suffering from the worse back ache I've ever had - so bad it's debilitating.

I went to the doctors today and after a brief examination - listening to lungs/ blood pressure etc she told me she couldn't find anything wrong and the pain must be muscular.

It's like a knife blade in the area below my left shoulder blade - every time I move it's agony.

I've got 19 painkillers a day to take and still the pain hasn't entirely gone .. 2 paracetamol and 2 codeine to be taken 4 times a day and staggered in between that lot I have to take 3 Gabapentin tablets.
The tablets are making me unbelievably tired and all I've done today is lie down, read my book and sleep. I went downstairs to watch TV with Tony for an hour but then came back to bed. I haven't even been near my PC till now.

I wondered if anybody else has suffered from muscular back ache?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 01:44 AM

Re: Muscular back ache.

For years, off and on and I'm afraid my experience with doctors has been the same as yours, they can't find anything wrong. Mine can be brought on by something simple like a sudden sneeze.
Go easy as you can with the painkillers, won't you?
Sorry I can't help, only sympathise.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 07:29 AM

Oh dear poor you carol , I suffered for years as my work as a podiatrist caused all kinds of issues , the only thing that really helped was massage , I went regularly and it really eased up the muscles , they also do sport massage and work in a deeper way . It kept me working for another 4 years . Now I've retired I don't get it luckily , but I do recommend you have a back massage .

Since retiring I've trained in massage and often give to my daughter and friends and they say it really does help .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 07:51 AM

It sounds to me like you've pulled something, either a muscle or ligament. I agree, it can be debilitating, as I've had the problem before. I also like the idea of a massage.

Get well soon. Sending hugs. X
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 07:55 AM

Carol, I sometimes get muscle pain, but not in my back. I often find that Ibuprofen gel, rubbed into the area of the pain helps so that may be worth a try. You are obviously taking a lot of painkillers so I would check with the Pharmacist before using.
Muscle pain is often caused by inflammation and, as Ibuprofen is used to reduce inflammation, it may help. Good luck!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 08:04 AM

I suffer from backache but in my lower back, and at times it can be horrific, as the pain you describe is sharp rather than an ache, it may be nerve related.

Thats a lot of painkillers you are taking, does heat help ease it.?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
For years, off and on and I'm afraid my experience with doctors has been the same as yours, they can't find anything wrong. Mine can be brought on by something simple like a sudden sneeze.
Go easy as you can with the painkillers, won't you?
Sorry I can't help, only sympathise.
Yes I have similar also.....the slightest thing could bring it on ...when it does it usually leaves me debilitated for around two weeks at a time ....I take ibuprofen and use heat packs ...
I feel for you Carol as Its miserable .
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Oh stop moaning Carol and get on with it

I have had 45 years of it and tried every treatment on the planet including a double laminectomy . All the pills are a waste of time and just a physiological crutch. Co-dydromol I have taken about 100,000 to date. (Codiene and Paracetamol) . Add on to that my sensory motor axonal neuropathy and life gets great. Then I could tell you about the rest of my problems.

Now I am going to mow the lawn and then perhaps get the top down on the car and go to Brighton Marina for a meal.

Half of posters back problems are caused by sitting hunched over lap tops etc on forums.

Good luck..xx
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 08:48 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried heat and Ibuprofen gel but it hasn't helped. The only thing I haven't tried is massage which sounds good.

On a brighter note the painkillers have kicked in now and are helping - but oh my they make me feel so tired! I slept like a zombie last night and I feel like one this morning.. The pain isn't so sharp now but it's still there.

I'm going on a weekend break on Friday - just one more day to go before I decide whether to cancel it.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 08:50 AM

Carol I hope the pain soon subsides and that you do manage to get away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top