Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 07:07 AM

injections for babies

Yesterday my neighbours 1 year old granchild was given 4 yes 4 injections one in each arm and each leg , the mother was told to hold her down tighter by the nurse . Last night I popped round and baby was poorly and being given paracetamol and some other medication .

Why 4 injections ? At once !

I'm really appalled , and I'm told that new borns are injected immediately after birth . With vitamin K ! WHY ?

is there a retired nurse on here who can tell me why .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 07:14 AM

Re: injections for babies

Hi

Here you go, Vitamin K

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a551938/vitamin-k
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 09:05 AM

I truly think it's all to save money these days, we paid for Grace to have separate MMR it was done over a two week period, but only because we paid. It wasn't that expensive we clubbed together with her mum, the boys and another two couples which brought it down to £15. It's worth looking around at options when vaccination time comes around.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Here you go, Vitamin K

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a551938/vitamin-k
That's not the vaccinations being spoken about they are given very early on not at a year old unless the child has a problem with blood clotting. Gracie had to have them for first 5 years of her life, even now takes a monthly tablet, along with her other medications.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's not the vaccinations being spoken about they are given very early on not at a year old unless the child has a problem with blood clotting. Gracie had to have them for first 5 years of her life, even now takes a monthly tablet, along with her other medications.
Hi

The OP specifically asked about why newborn's are injected with Vitamin K.

I merely tried to assist with the answer.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Yesterday my neighbours 1 year old granchild was given 4 yes 4 injections one in each arm and each leg , the mother was told to hold her down tighter by the nurse . Last night I popped round and baby was poorly and being given paracetamol and some other medication .

Why 4 injections ? At once !

I'm really appalled , and I'm told that new borns are injected immediately after birth . With vitamin K ! WHY ?

is there a retired nurse on here who can tell me why .
I'm no nurse, so can't answer your query, but had the same question only a few weeks ago about my granddaughter of two months being given the same. From what I remember it was always 3 months for starters. My daughter said it was heart breaking to hear the cries from such a babe and her cry 'changed' so it must have been due to pain. One nurse just flopping her all over the pace.
If that treatment had been given to a puppy, the country would be in uproar
My other granddaughters had two nurses in attendance 6 yrs ago, one at each side and simultaneous actions, hardly a peep out of them.
However, I do understand that funds are low but £240,000 to a failed member of staff to be re-employed without a job interview, might explain the culture surrounding some of the financial problems.
Oh yes, and she was quite poorly for a few days even with the calpol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 09:49 AM

I have little medical knowledge of new borns, but 4 injections at the same time would make me very uneasy, in fact I'd want to know full details before I allowed it.
I don't even allow puppies to be vaccinated too early!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have little medical knowledge of new borns, but 4 injections at the same time would make me very uneasy, in fact I'd want to know full details before I allowed it.
I don't even allow puppies to be vaccinated too early!
I dint think they get 4 as a new born mups it's at a year old. The vitamin k is usually one injection, Grace had more because she was very sick as a baby had a stroke. It's not normal to give 4 vitamin k injections at birth. I'm not even sure it would be safe.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 09:58 AM

I dint think they get 4 as a new born mups it's at a year old. The vitamin k is usually one injection, Grace had more because she was very sick as a baby had a stroke. It's not normal to give 4 vitamin k injections at birth. I'm not even sure it would be safe.

I beg your pardon Julie, I just looked back and you are quite right, it wasn't at birth.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Hi

Nobody, other than you Julie, has suggested that babies are given 4 Vitamin K injections at birth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top