Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Re: Feeling down

My grandad used to say that the world has not grown more depressing, it's our reaction to it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

I think I understand 'roughly' how you feel, Steve. I am partially deaf myself and not a single person I speak to is making the slightest effort to speak slower, clearer or louder. They just won't do it. I'm surprised they don't ask me every day to wash my ears out. The hearing aids are good for radio and tv but not for fast talking, mumbling people.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Art ...the man is DEAF.....not hard of hearing, there is a world of difference.
To be fair Malcolm, I wasn't aware of the degree of Steve's deafness. If, in the opening post, Steve had stated that he was profoundly deaf then I would have been more informed.
Maybe, educating Steve's colleagues (and myself ) in understanding Deafness would make us more aware of what Steve is going through.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I think I understand 'roughly' how you feel, Steve. I am partially deaf myself and not a single person I speak to is making the slightest effort to speak slower, clearer or louder. They just won't do it. I'm surprised they don't ask me every day to wash my ears out. The hearing aids are good for radio and tv but not for fast talking, mumbling people.
My Dad became partially deaf as he aged and wore hearing aids. He used to get very frustrated when people spoke loudly saying it distorted the sound and it was better if they spoke normal and clearly.

I have very bad tinnitus and need people to speak loudly and clearly so I can hear their speech above the whistling noise. If I am in a situation with a lot of background noise I find it very difficult to understand when someone is speaking to me, all the sounds seem to blend together .

Someone I know the husband of a previous work colleague is profoundly deaf and lip reads. I know from his wife that some people are not sure how to approach him so tend not to which adds to his sense of isolation .
I often see him when I am shopping and asked her what he would prefer me to do to acknowledged him. She suggested I touch him lightly on the arm and when he turns to look speak slowly and clearly so he can see my lips which I always do now.

We are all different, I think it is down to each of us to make our needs known to those who speak to us regularly
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

We are all different, I think it is down to each of us to make our needs known to those who speak to us regularly
I keep telling them. Trying to explain how to speak so I'm able to understand. They don't get. It seems that people who can hear properly just don't believe that some people can't hear as well as they do.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 10:36 AM

It seems that people who can hear properly just don't believe that some people can't hear as well as they do.
Probably
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 04:00 PM

Yes mate, I know that feeling but I'm a bit beyond that now.

I was saddened to read you are having problems too.

Years ago I got involved with deaf groups when I was learning BSL and found deaf people were very "in your face" and they suffered a lot of stress, anxiety and a lack of confidence but didn't understand why until the last few years.

I'm very snappy these days because I've had years of this sh** from the hearing world, treating me like an imbecile or as if I don't exist but the descent into depression is something I really try hard to avoid all the time but it gets harder daily.

I had cause to write to a solicitor recently to give them some information but also to remind them that I couldn't use telephones as they appear to have the attention span worse than a goldfish, amongst other things.

The Chief Clerk responded the next day - "We will need to have an initial conversation over the telephone with you as we are not a face to face solicitors"

And it's ME that gets treated like a moron?!!! stevmk2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Yes mate, I know that feeling but I'm a bit beyond that now.

I was saddened to read you are having problems too.

Years ago I got involved with deaf groups when I was learning BSL and found deaf people were very "in your face" and they suffered a lot of stress, anxiety and a lack of confidence but didn't understand why until the last few years.

I'm very snappy these days because I've had years of this sh** from the hearing world, treating me like an imbecile or as if I don't exist but the descent into depression is something I really try hard to avoid all the time but it gets harder daily.

I had cause to write to a solicitor recently to give them some information but also to remind them that I couldn't use telephones as they appear to have the attention span worse than a goldfish, amongst other things.

The Chief Clerk responded the next day - "We will need to have an initial conversation over the telephone with you as we are not a face to face solicitors"

And it's ME that gets treated like a moron?!!! stevmk2

Well how weird. I have never heard of a solicitor who doesn't have appointments. Does he have a premises even?
What an idiot he sounds anyway Steve.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 04:36 PM

I've come across this before too Steve.
My wife being totally deaf means that I have to conduct some of her business affairs and sometimes need to make telephone calls on her behalf.
I can't put a number on the times I have been told that she will have to speak to them herself despite me opening the conversation by stating that I am phoning on her behalf because she is profoundly deaf....I find it very hard to keep my temper in check
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I've come across this before too Steve.
My wife being totally deaf means that I have to conduct some of her business affairs and sometimes need to make telephone calls on her behalf.
I can't put a number on the times I have been told that she will have to speak to them herself despite me opening the conversation by stating that I am phoning on her behalf because she is profoundly deaf....I find it very hard to keep my temper in check
Almost daily at times for me Malcolm so I know how you feel.

The worst part is the assumption that you are somehow retarded because you have to ask people to repeat things.

That dates back to the appalling way that those with Down's Syndrome were often treated in the past because they often had hearing problems too.

Because of the way they spoke they were stigmatised yet I have known a few and there's nothing wrong with their brains - one I knew could carry everyone's darts score in his head and count-down what they could go for to win!

I'll never understand why society in general cannot accept those with disabilities that are not obvious. stevmk2

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top