Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Ibuprofen

I went to see the doctor this morning and mentioned that I occasionally take Ibuprofen bought over the counter for my stiff and painful knee. She said I must not take Ibuprofen orally because I am in my late 60s and that it is a dangerous over the counter medication. She said that in our practice Ibuprofen is not generally prescribed to over 55s. I was shocked. She told me to use Ibuprofen Gel on my knee and gave me a prescription. I said I would buy it myself because it is cheap to save the NHS from having to cough up to which she replied that she would prefer to prescribe it so that my records showed what I had been using which at my age was important! She said I was not to buy over the counter creams and gels for this reason. She made me feel like an ageing hypochondriac!
Has anyone else had similar advice?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:00 PM

Re: Ibuprofen

I have been put on steroids rather than ibuprofen but that was due to allergies rather than age I think.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Can well understand your reaction but, I personally do not like Ibuprofen so would never take it not even as a gel. I have known several people have adverse reactions down the line to it.
You don't have to use the prescription and if you find something else, just let the doctor know next time you visit, what you are taking
Its worth checking out alternatives ............
TaJo
New Member!
Oregon
TaJo is female 

21-12-2015, 06:03 PM

I have never heard of ibuprofen not being prescribed to people over 55. I've been a nurse for 30 years.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TaJo ->
I have never heard of ibuprofen not being prescribed to people over 55. I've been a nurse for 30 years.
It may be 'new' evidence Tajo
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:10 PM

I'm 70 and having been taking Ibuprofen every single day for over ten years.
Here in Aus, you can buy it in supermarkets - 24 for under $1.

"They" reckon it can cause inflammation of the gut and stomach bleeds.
I've never had a problem and regular endoscopies have revealed nothing amiss.

Still, I suppose one should be guided by one's doctor's advice.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

21-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Just pasted this info

Ibuprofen and the Elderly

Older persons should be careful taking ibuprofen.

The side effects caused by NSAID pain medications such as ibuprofen, when taken by elderly patients, can put them at risk for falls and other dangerous consequences.

In general, NSAIDs that are available over-the-counter and via prescription can cause extreme sleepiness, confusion, dizziness, loss of balance, and severe stomach problems in the elderly.
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:24 PM

I have just been prescribed Ibuprofen 400mg by my GP for my knees and I am 57. I think it depends on what the GP last read, there is always a reason not to take something or to take something, I think as adults we need to keep ourselves informed and input into what the GPs say. My GP will now say to me 'I want you (me) to go and check this medicine out before I prescribed it to you'.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:36 PM

Last year, on leaving hospital after hip surgery, my wife was told that if she had any discomfort she was to take ibuprofen - she didn't need prescribing because she "can by it cheaply over the counter"!

If an NHS Hospital says it's OK that's good enough for me - scaremongering again. stevmk2
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Never taken Ibuprofen and wouldn't do so. Don't take any pain
killers except I might take a Asprin or Disprin if I get a migraine which
is never nowadays.

You need to rinse your body of toxins if you are getting pain or neuralgia.
If you don't drink a lot of water and stop taken the poisons of the
food industry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top