Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Re: Ibuprofen

I take Ibruprofen three times a day after meals together with co-codamol prn for arthritis pain. My doctor has just put it on a repeat prescription and is confident of it's safety when taken as prescribed, although it never ceases to amaze me how professional opinions differ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:33 PM

I suppose the best way is if you feel ill effects, stop immediately as this drug is definitely not suitable for everyone. Even if you have been on it for a good while, problems can arise
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It may be 'new' evidence Tajo

If that is so countrygirl, I am really srprised that the pharmacist didn't question you. They are pretty hot on things like that where I am. It's getting impossible to buy anything without being cross-examined!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:35 PM

I call my meds wonder drugs, I take Naproxen and Gabapentin together and they take away acute pain completely!
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Just pasted this info

Ibuprofen and the Elderly

Older persons should be careful taking ibuprofen.

The side effects caused by NSAID pain medications such as ibuprofen, when taken by elderly patients, can put them at risk for falls and other dangerous consequences.

In general, NSAIDs that are available over-the-counter and via prescription can cause extreme sleepiness, confusion, dizziness, loss of balance, and severe stomach problems in the elderly.
Thanks for the research. Actually I don't like taking it as it upsets my stomach; I don't like taking paracetamol either. I shall take the doctor's advice, it's just that I'd never heard those things before.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If that is so countrygirl, I am really srprised that the pharmacist didn't question you. They are pretty hot on things like that where I am. It's getting impossible to buy anything without being cross-examined!
Like everything else, you either get a good un or you don't
Anyway, people will continue taking it ............
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I take Ibruprofen three times a day after meals together with co-codamol prn for arthritis pain. My doctor has just put it on a repeat prescription and is confident of it's safety when taken as prescribed, although it never ceases to amaze me how professional opinions differ....

I agree Barry. But professionals surely shouldn't disagree over what is safe and what isn't, should they? It's either safe or it isn't, unless it depends on the problem it is being used for, and what other medication is being used at the same time.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Barry. But professionals surely shouldn't disagree over what is safe and what isn't, should they? It's either safe or it isn't, unless it depends on the problem it is being used for, and what other medication is being used at the same time.
I suppose it depends on the patient as well Mups, we all have different constitutions and therefore react differently to medication. What is safe for me may have terrible side effects for someone else, so horses for courses I guess.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 08:12 PM

I never take Ibuprofen, makes me feel worse ! I use the gel occasionally on my fingers when the knuckles feel a bit stiff.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I suppose it depends on the patient as well Mups, we all have different constitutions and therefore react differently to medication. What is safe for me may have terrible side effects for someone else, so horses for courses I guess.
Absolutely... your GP knows your medical history, and what else you may or may not be taking that can have contraindications .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top