Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 10:42 AM

Winter ailments....

Can anybody recommend something for a tickly cough? I've been awake most of the night with it and it's driving me mad!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Re: Winter ailments....

Only a hot honey and lemon drink Carol, that might soothe it, but sounds like the start of a cold to me. Hope it doesn't spoil your christmas. x
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 11:28 AM

I've just posted this on FB .... Carvona Night
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Only a hot honey and lemon drink Carol, that might soothe it, but sounds like the start of a cold to me. Hope it doesn't spoil your christmas. x
Thanks Mups - I've had a bad cold for over a week - this is just the after effects.

If only I liked the taste of honey but I can't stand it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

22-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I've just posted this on FB .... Carvona Night
Thanks Myrtle - is it ok for day time too?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Just take a small glass of milk to bed with you. Sip it before you go to sleep and every time you wake in the night. It will help coat your throat and it is also soothing.
Beki
Edinburgh, Scotland
Beki is female  Beki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 12:27 PM

I find Manuka honey helps any time I have sore throat or a tickly cough. I dislike the taste of honey but will suffer it for the Manuka as it works very quickly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 01:08 PM

You might find this of interest then Beki.

"Hydrogen peroxide is a component of honey. It gives most honey its antibiotic quality, but some types of honey, including manuka honey, also have other components with antibacterial qualities.

The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound - dihydroxyacetone - that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers.

MG gives manuka honey its antibacterial power. The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibacterial effect."

Myself, I make a hot drink of it last thing at night. I just use the UMF 10+
I never buy any without the recognised UMF approval, as there are alot of fakes on the market.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 02:25 PM

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...mover-60017327

This is the very best cough remover I've ever had.
It really works.
I was introduced to it many years ago when you could only get it in H&B but most chemists stock it now.
Read the reviews!
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 05:57 PM

I've tried Potter's pastilles (not the syrup) but it didn't work for me. I have had two awful colds one after the other since early September, had just got over the cough I was left with in October, when I contracted another cold.

My poor airways had not really recovered - and I still cough a bit at night. I find the only thing that helps me is sucking something - I find Sula sugar free sweets (from Holland & Barrett) better than any other cough sweets or lozenges. I guess its just personal preference. But sucking one of these soothes the cough long enough for me to get back to sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top