Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:54 PM

Re: Coffee and Tea Capsules

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Nonsense, there are generic pods available made by many other coffee manufacturers that fit major brand machines.

http://www.bluepod.com.au/view/which-capsules-fit-your-coffee-machine/499

https://www.espressorium.com.au/blog/what-coffee-capsules-are-compatible-with-nespresso.html
I have also found capsules at Aldi..they are crap..and Taylor's of Harrogate do them too, I found them at the Pound shop, they were good but they were a limited supply.
I don't wish any reader to think that I normally shop at those establishments, I am not a Chav! I had to visit them for a friend ok?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My conscience is clear: our coffee machine does not use plastic pods. The coffee pads we use are exactly like large tea bags. Paper only; no plastic.

They are cheaper no doubt for the same reason.
Excellent .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I use a Tassimo and really love the taste, I only drink about two cups per day. I get my coffee delivered to the door, a 24hour service. Nespresso also supply a recycle bag for used capsules which they pick up when I tell them it's full.
At least one company is making an effort, then .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Nonsense, there are generic pods available made by many other coffee manufacturers that fit major brand machines.
Yep that's why I said "it ties you into to one or more brands of pods"

i.e. Either the brand that goes with the machine or one of the compatible brands. Either way, you're being given inferior coffee at a huge mark up price. It's kidology, false economy . . . imo.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 05:43 PM

My conscience is clear: our coffee machine does not use plastic pods. The coffee pads we use are exactly like large tea bags. Paper only; no plastic.
I know the ones you mean but realistically this isn't the same ball park as coffee pods. It's purely a filter coffee machine that operates with coffee bags. So no 9 bars of pressure and therefore no real shot of espresso with crema etc.

Nothing wrong with those machines, it's just they are filter coffee effectively.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 05:50 PM

And instant coffee is in some way superior?
I buy Nespresso capsules, I have a Cafetiere it makes a lot of coffee, most of which is wasted therefore expensive, my Nespresso makes me one cup of coffee, and if I can pick them up from Poundland I can get 10 Taylor's of Harrogate coffee capsules for a quid..work it out. Failing that I order from Nespresso, which averages out at 33p a cup.
On the other hand I could drink Asda own brand instant coffe for a quid per ton.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I know the ones you mean but realistically this isn't the same ball park as coffee pods. It's purely a filter coffee machine that operates with coffee bags. So no 9 bars of pressure and therefore no real shot of espresso with crema etc.

Nothing wrong with those machines, it's just they are filter coffee effectively.
I don't know the actual figure, but it definitely uses a high pressure of water through the grounds. You can hear distinctly the pulsating vibrations of the pump.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2017, 12:46 AM

I don't know the actual figure, but it definitely uses a high pressure of water through the grounds. You can hear distinctly the pulsating vibrations of the pump.
That's just the sound of the pump moving water from the tank. I'm guessing you have a Senseo machine. Here's the plain admission on their own website FAQs about not being a proper shot of coffee:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY SENSEO® COFFEE AND AN ESPRESSO?

SENSEO® coffee doesn't brew an espresso coffee. Espresso is a strong coffee brewed by quickly forcing hot water or steam through darkly roasted, finely ground, coffee beans. SENSEO® coffee grounds are not as finely ground. The mode of filtration is also different which is why the taste of Douwe Egberts SENSEO® coffee is closer to filtered coffee.

Note how they don't even acknowledge the pressure used by proper espresso makers.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2017, 12:53 AM

Also, here's a great article that debunks the Senseo nonsense. Well worth a read.

http://www.bloggle.com/2005/03/the-s...crema-mystery/

The Senseo Crema Mystery

"The machine produced by Philips and Douwe Egberts has been rather aggressively marketed as the “coffee machine with the delicious crema layer”. I have been asked more times than I can count [and I count fairly well… rarely even have to take off my socks] with questions like,

a) is this espresso?
b) is it really crema?
c) if it’s not crema, what is it? and,
d) how does the Senseo make that stuff?

The answers:

Is it espresso? Don’t be silly. ��

Is it really crema? No. Crema is… well, let’s defer to Dr. Illy:

“Crema, the dense, reddish-brown foam that tops an espresso, is composed mainly of tiny carbon dioxide and water vapor bubbles surrounded by surfactant films. The crema also includes emulsified oils containing key aromatic compounds and dark fragments of the coffee bean cell structure.”

The foam produced by a Senseo is *not* an emulsion; the coffee in the Senseo pod [or pad] is not ground fine enough, nor is the pressure in its brewing great enough to release the non-water soluble oils and lipids to create such an emulsion… and those few oils that *might* be released would be trapped in the filter material of the coffee pod itself. [This is confirmed in left-handed fashion by Philips/Douwe’s FAQ: “The SENSEO coffee brewing process is very efficient leaving hardly any oil in the brew.”]

Further, it’s unlikely that the coffee found in a Senseo pod is fresh enough, or been packaged well enough that the delicate aromatic compounds, or even carbon dioxide — both such an important part an espresso’s crema — remain.

So what is this stuff? It’s *foam*. Bubbles. Mostly air bubbles, and water vapor, and probably some CO2, encapsulated by the brewed coffee solution. Again, it’s not emulsified oils.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:59 AM

Think I'll stick with my bean to cup coffee machine - expensive at the time but now four years old and still going strong.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top