Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 11:53 PM

Re: Why can't we pick our own veggies ?

You want labour to pick fruit and veg?... draft short term petty prisoners into the fields.
Those that refuse...no parole
Those that co operate and work hard...early release.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 12:07 AM

I don't know why people are so resistant to picking produce, if you want to eat it you should be prepared to pick it.
The whole idea of 6 weeks school holiday in the summer was to enable children to help with the harvest. It would be good exercise for them now.

There seems to be no shortage of pickers around here, when I went past a field of spring onions the other day it was full of people in high viz jackets.
The next day the entire field was picked and empty.

I still 'pick my own' at the fruit farm but it is very expensive now.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:00 AM

Hi

Why is this such a big thing among so many people?

Fruit Pickers account for only 2% of the EU people in the UK.

Why all this focus on EU Immigration?

We have total control of non EU immigration, yet have done absolutely nothing about it.

Table 1: Latest Migration Statistics, Year Ending December 2016

Total Net Migration 248,000 EU 133,000 Non EU 175,000

We have more immigrants from outside the EU than from inside the EU.

We have done nothing to stop this.

We concentrate on asylum seekers flooding the country.

That again is is rubbish.

In 2016 we granted asylum to less than 10,000 people.

The big promise to many in Brexit was take back control of our Borders

Immigration, foreign workers, services being overstretched.

The problem is this, we already have the powers to close our Borders to Non EU Immigrants, of which there are more than EU Immigrants,

We have chosen not to do so.

Far from securing our Borders the Conservative Government have slashed Border Controls and are still imposing cuts.

Immigration Control inside the UK has also been cut, drastically.

Our Borders are leaking like a sieve, nowt to do with the EU at all.

We are not being overrun with legitimate refugees, we are being overrun by Economic Migrants from outside the EU.

We are an island, there should not be one single illegal migrant getting into the UK.

They are getting through in droves, we think that there about 600,000 here, they arrive daily.

When we find them, we do not deport them, we release them on Bail, to disappear and carry on living and working here.

First things first, stop the influx of Non EU Immigrants, stop the influx of illegals, deport those that we find here.

There is no point in demanding we leave he EU to control our Borders and reduce Immigration if we are doing naff all about the biggest source of Immigration, which is non EU.

There are simple, effective things we can do now, we are not doing them.

Eastern European Fruit Pickers are not renowned for blowing us up or deliberately mowing us down in vehicles.

Yet those with dual citizenship who travel back and forth to countries which were allegedly so dangerous that they could not stay there we allow stay here, on Benefits.

Revoke their UK citizenship, out they go.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
You want labour to pick fruit and veg?... draft short term petty prisoners into the fields.
Those that refuse...no parole
Those that co operate and work hard...early release.
on a chain gang?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't know why people are so resistant to picking produce, if you want to eat it you should be prepared to pick it.
The whole idea of 6 weeks school holiday in the summer was to enable children to help with the harvest. It would be good exercise for them now.

There seems to be no shortage of pickers around here, when I went past a field of spring onions the other day it was full of people in high viz jackets.

Spot on, that is exactly what we did in my area the wages were dire, but all mine. As a lad it was good to have cash in my pocket, but backbreaking work.

Wonder how many on here did the same ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

It's a dangerous job working with onions.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:04 AM

I did .
I liked picking berries and peas but potatoes picking was like hard labour .
We liked having some money of our own though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I did .
I liked picking berries and peas but potatoes picking was like hard labour .
We liked having some money of our own though.
Hi

I only did the spud picking, and that was hard work as Muddy says.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Even if all the European fruit pickers left, we still have plenty of non European workshy scroungers. Make them do it or lose their benefits.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Even if all the European fruit pickers left, we still have plenty of non European workshy scroungers.
Make them do it or lose their benefits.
The admin and organisation required would send the civil servants to the Funny Farm

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top