Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Re: Why can't we pick our own veggies ?

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
The admin and organisation required would send the civil servants to the Funny Farm
Or The Loonybyn.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:26 AM

The admin and organisation required would send the civil servants to the Funny Farm
Hi

I agree, much simpler just to send pensioners to do it.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I agree, much simpler just to send pensioners to do it.
They've all got bad backs, would need compensation and regular tea breaks
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:33 AM

I don't understand why all the EU pickers would have to leave anyway .
We could give them fruit picking visas .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:35 AM

They've all got bad backs, would need compensation and regular tea breaks
Hi

Even more regular wee breaks.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't understand why all the EU pickers would have to leave anyway .
We could give them fruit picking visas .
Hi

One of the main reason people voted to leave was immigration.

Often heard was they are here taking our jobs.

There is some truth in this.

The skilled jobs we will need years to train our own, we cannot magic people off the shelf.

Nurses, doctors, engineers, Tpins Polish stone masons.

The unskilled jobs?

We are going to have to force some people to work and to move house to where the jobs are.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

One of the main reason people voted to leave was immigration.

Often heard was they are here taking our jobs.

There is some truth in this.

The skilled jobs we will need years to train our own, we cannot magic people off the shelf.

Nurses, doctors, engineers, Tpins Polish stone masons.

The unskilled jobs?

We are going to have to force some people to work and to move house to where the jobs are.
Immigrants filling jobs is not a problem, immigrants filling the dole office is.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's a mind game being played here and there will be many many more of them over the coming couple of years so strap in and get used to them.

It's not a bad thing though.

Essentially what is being highlighted here is that there is a bigger picture involved in our buying decisions.

For a long time Brits have happily bought "stuff" from shops concentrating solely on price and with absolutely no thought to the wider implications of what those purchases mean.

So people have happily walked into supermarkets and picked up pairs of jeans for literally £3 ! Many years ago people would happily pay £30-£50 for jeans !

But what is the price of buying foreign imported jeans for a pittance? Slave labour in sweat shops in other countries and likely much more implications.

BrExit is not simply about leaving the EU.

BrExit is about understanding anew what it means to be a sovereign country and what responsibility we each have to each other within that national community.

It ultimately means we MUST once again come to understand and respect and support local trades and producers. It means we MUST think beyond a price tag and understand that cheap doesn't always help the country and the wider community.

Once we get our minds around the implications we should start to choose our purchases with more responsibility and that will almost certainly mean paying more money to support home grown goods, be they food items or clothing or whatever.

I'd say we absolutely need to re-establish good strong agriculture production, fruit, vegetables and of course plenty of home grown animals (beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, venison etc).

A part of that is to mentally say f*** the supermarkets because they have been responsible for the decimation of our local trades, trades which Britain used to be proud of, A-Class Butchers, Green Grocers, Bakeries, Raw milk dairies and so on.

We are equally responsible for that situation because we just didn't care and took the easy, lazy and cheaper option of strolling into Tesco and Sainsbury.

Sainsbury's largest shareholder is Qatar, they effectively own it along with huge swathes of London and lots of other things.

The country needs to take back control of such things but that can only happen if we take responsibility for our buying choices and pay more for British produce. The longer term prospects for everyone are better if we act responsibly.

So on the issue of fruit and veg picking, yep, let's pay higher salaries for that so that our own people will undertake the tasks. It's employment for our own people, which in turn will help them survive these turbulent times better and increase morale. The cost of fruit and veg will rise and we should all accept that additional cost for the good of the country and our mutual prosperity.
Great post, I just did not want to stop reading.

My thoughts exactly especially the bit about the supermarkets I use them but I do grumble alot to the missus about the way they have control of the country,and on every product they sell and that includes fuel prices. If I had a local farm shop close by I would use that and a decent butchers.
We did have a Jet service station on the A127 some years ago and they were always cheaper than S/burys,Tesco and Asda,but eventually they could not compete with the superstores so now I buy off Tescos who keep yo-yoing the prices when it suits them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-06-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Immigrants filling jobs is not a problem, immigrants filling the dole office is.
Hi

There is not a single EU immigrant in Prees who is on the dole.

There are however a number of locals who are.

Apart from the usual suspects, whose families are well known for not working I will give you two examples.

A young person who has completed a Degree in Sports Science, not an awful lot of jobs in Sport Science in a small rural agricultural village.

Apparently not working is preferable to soiling her hands in anything less.

A young fit person who has never worked.

They are apparently Vegan, so cannot work on the Dairy Farms or get a job egg picking, or work in the Cheese Factory because they use rennet.

They are however not adverse to scoffing a McDonalds.

We are so stupid it sometimes beggars belief.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 10:06 PM

The work ethic, if you have time to discuss it, you probably don't have it.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top