Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Is It Me ?

I've just been reading in the paper that a hospital consultant has been chastised for referring to a black man as a "negro". I can quite understand such words as "nigger" being barred but I always thought that "negro" was a proper, acceptable word. It shows that you have to be very careful what you say these days.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Re: Is It Me ?

Political Correctness gone mad Alan matey - what's wrong with referring to him as a 'black man'???
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 08:55 AM

You're not even allowed to say 'coloured' now. I'm afraid to open my mouth these days!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 09:12 AM

At one point, the Political Correctness mob tried to stop people asking for 'black' coffee - how mad is that???
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 09:29 AM

PC gone wrong, always liked this quote by Don van Vliet, (Captain Beeheart)

"Everybody's colored or else you wouldn't be able to see them."
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Wonder why he referred to his colour - why not Mr. Bloggs ?
Sorry dont get it ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 10:27 AM

I was just going to ask that patsy. As Negros are people from a specific area why would he assume that is where the patient is from ? If you called my nephews negro they would be rightly a bit put out they are British Sri Lankans, it would be like calling a Welsh man or Scots man English just because he was white.

In hospital they have bed numbers too so why not bed 3 or whatever ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Absolutely agree !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I've just been reading in the paper that a hospital consultant has been chastised for referring to a black man as a "negro". I can quite understand such words as "nigger" being barred but I always thought that "negro" was a proper, acceptable word. It shows that you have to be very careful what you say these days.
Can you tell us exactly who chastised the consultant and what his "ethnic group" is by any chance?

From past experiences of this nonsense many of will not be the least bit surprised if it is a white person again or a white-dominated group.

Over the years I've heard so many people of different ethnics groups than complaining that white liberals are speaking up for them when there really is not a problem and they frequently say that drawing attention publicly to stupid nit-picking rubbish like this only makes things worse for them.

I remember being at school and black & asian schoolfriends saying they preferred to be called black, not coloured.

In the US the authorities frequently refer to 'Caucasians' so should white people being referred to in that way feel insulted? stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Strange that it seems to be the - what word am I allowed to use - "white" PC brigade that complain. I remember working with a "dark skinned" colleague on one project. After one particularly long day's work, he came over to my desk, put his hand on my shoulder and said "George, you'd make a damn good nigger".

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top