Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Re: Most economical way to dry clothes?

I live in the Swamp Lands ...I use a dryer.

I have no space to hang things indoors in my Hobbit Hole, except the shower cubicle, if you put thing outside even in dry weather it just stays wet! Heavens, I sound like Eeyore!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Funnily enough I have an easier time in the Winter drying clothes than at this time of the year, reason being I have a combined living / kitchen room and hang my clothes on a clothes thing (horse?), with the heat from the fire drying them quite quickly, but with the warmer weather the fire will remain off. Just wondering how to avoid using the tumble dryer all the time as I will be needing to wash / dry clothes 2x a day (running gear)?
I just hang the clothes on the Hills hoist where they dry within a few hours however on the rare occasion it looks like rain then I hang them on lines I have in the car port.

In winter it might take an hour or two longer to dry.

Sports clothes are usually materials that dry in a very short time anyway eg my cycling gear dries within an hour (and it is not lycra).

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Do people still 'air' clothes to finish off drying properly? I mentioned this to my 30year old daughter and she didn't know what I meant!!!
My late mother always insisted that after the washing (sheets) was dry, it should go in the airing cupboard

I have never been able to figure out whether this was to take place before or after ironing

I only ever have 100% cotton bed linen
Dried on radiators or on the line and usually plonked back on the bed
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:57 PM

I dry the washing outside at every opportunity, even in winter if it's cold but dry and breezy,
Can't beat outdoor drying.
If needs must I dry in the spare room on a clothes airer, or on hangers on the shower rail.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Because all my internal doors are wedged open, I hang clothes on hangers over the doorways, one each side. Then I have 3 clothes horses to take the excess. One goes by my front door, out of the way. I very rarely have all three in use at the same time.

I do the bedlinen separately, so they hang over two clothes horses and dry in no time. Similarly, my towels have a separate wash another day.

And yes, I always have a window open (usually the bedroom, sometimes the bathroom too), to let out the moisture. As all my doors are kept open, my flat airs fine and I've never, in 20 years of doing this, had a problem with condensation or mould!

I live on my own so no-one else has to put up with how it looks. (I don't care, anyway. Lol).
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Twiz, I too live in a 'hobbit hole' and during the winter, dry washing in the bathroom which has a walk-in shower, so things like towels can go over the curtain rail. Other stuff goes over a collapsible maiden-type thingie.

I'm always careful to leave the door ajar, otherwise I get condensation running everywhere when the heating comes on.

Must admit though, nothing beats washing dried outside!

Gwyn
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Well I have the drying of stuff under control but now I have the problem of clothes everywhere. I need to store all the dried clothes without having to resort to moving them upstairs. At the moment they are piling up on a chair or 2.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Why aren't you moving them upstairs to their proper home, presumably a wardrobe?! Are you afraid of the stairs?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Why aren't you moving them upstairs to their proper home, presumably a wardrobe?! Are you afraid of the stairs?
Well I might need them again in a hurry .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

15-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well I might need them again in a hurry .

Oh...right. Well there's no answer to that then.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top