Join for free
Page 13 of 70 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Re: Gay marriage

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
there is clearly a difference between expressing a view and expressing an insult to someones person or behavior - the law recognizes that!
I recall a 'personal' insult from you the other day, you should get yer own house in order too !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I recall a 'personal' insult from you the other day, you should get yer own house in order too !
yes DEAR but that was within the limits of the law so get ya own house in order! you still don't get it do ya?
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:22 PM

yes DEAR but that was within the limits of the law so get ya own house in order! you still don't get it do ya?
How rude
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
For those of you who have reported the following post, apologies for my late response - I have been down to visit my Mum.

Please be aware that this comment has no place on this forum. Should you make similar remarks again, we will be forced to take appropriate action.
I did read your rules on this section before I posted.
sue_arnold
UK

31-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I don't share Sue's views, but I hate even more the idea that she shouldn't be able to express them. For me, freedom of speech is pretty much non-negotiable. I would rather someone express their views openly and honestly, no matter who they offend, than have such opinions suppressed - that way lies fascism.
On the gay marriage issue, I suspect that the people really rubbing their hands in glee are the divorce lawyers who are looking forward to a whole new population of clients in coming years!
Thank you for that.

I did get a couple of PMs congratulating me for the courage to state this. It is another view that some people hold rightly or wrongly.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:43 PM

Well I for one am glad I had the opportunity to read various posts by sue before they were removed, or condemned, as they provided me with much needed insight in to her rather unsettling thought processes. I admit they shocked me to the core and stopped me in my tracks for a while there. Still it is better to see such stuff rather than remain ignorant.

Better the devil you know (than the devil you don't)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
I did read your rules on this section before I posted.
if you ever had the guts to make this statement using your real name to some gay people in particular - take Elton John as an example you would be successfully sued - but I suspect you would never have the guts to do it in society - it's easy to hide away in an anonymous website!

or even I have said previously - try it on the forum again and see what happens - gutless I suspect!
sue_arnold
UK

31-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well I for one am glad I had the opportunity to read various posts by sue before they were removed, or condemned, as they provided me with much needed insight in to her rather unsettling thought processes. I admit they shocked me to the core and stopped me in my tracks for a while there. Still it is better to see such stuff rather than remain ignorant.

Better the devil you know (than the devil you don't).
The 2 original posts I made on this subject have not been removed.
sue_arnold
UK

31-03-2014, 09:04 PM

or even I have said previously - try it on the forum again and see what happens - gutless I suspect!

Please stop threating me or trying goading me into saying some that Azz has told me not to.

And stop been rude to other posters please
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I don't share Sue's views, but I hate even more the idea that she shouldn't be able to express them. For me, freedom of speech is pretty much non-negotiable. I would rather someone express their views openly and honestly, no matter who they offend, than have such opinions suppressed - that way lies fascism.
On the gay marriage issue, I suspect that the people really rubbing their hands in glee are the divorce lawyers who are looking forward to a whole new population of clients in coming years!
Well that's a debate in itself, Mick.

I try to allow as much freedom of speech on this forum as possible, but it's important to understand that this is not and never will be a no-holds barred forum. While the idea of absolute freedom of speech is appealing in its simplicity, I think in practice, if we allowed that, you would find that many forums would simply descend into a morass of shouting and acromony with decent polite members deserting in droves.

On this thread, people are welcome to express their disapproval of gay marriage, even though I and others disagree with them. But it's all about how it's expressed.

Freedom to hold obnoxious opinions - yes.
Freedom to express disapproval of gay marriage - yes.
Freedom to engage in robust debate - yes.
Freedom to label an entire minority group (some of whom will be reading) as perverts? No. Not on this forum.

Most members on this thread - including those who don't agree with gay marriage - seem to have understood the difference. It's largely about being civil. It's perfectly possible to argue robustly and still be civil.

I don't think we need to worry about hurtling towards fascism by insisting on a few house rules to keep this a welcoming place. In fact fascism is more likely to come from what Baxter8 rightly pointed out as the dehumanisation and "tyranny of the majority" attitude typified by the earlier post.

None of this is meant as a criticism of you by the way Mick. Just that you touched on an interesting point. I hope you will continue to post here, even though we have some 'limits', as you have added a lot to the discussions.

Page 13 of 70 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top