Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Cost of having a pet cremated

Itīs just a query really. Today I collected my little Muffinīs ashes. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised to find them in a velvet sachet laid inside a very pretty little stained glass casket with his name engraved on it, also a "cremation certificate" with his details, name, date of birth, death etc and even a lovely little epitaph. The cost, was 140 euros.
I had at first presumed this to include the vet fee for having him put to sleep but then I realised the cremation is done by a completely separate company. I have no idea whether this would be classed as expensive or not and wondered if anyone else has had a pet cremated and what the cost was.
Not that it matters, he was my little sweetheart and I couldnīt bear to think he was just taken away and got rid of.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 10:56 PM

Re: Cost of having a pet cremated

I am not sure how much we pay, usually in such a state when I pay the bill to take much notice, sorry. We do let the vet dispose of the body we have a flat no where to bury them and having watched them die it seems obvious to us they are just a body by then the life/soul leaves at point of death which is what make them who they are. Just our opinion and belief I know other people may think differently and wouldn't say they are wrong just different.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Itīs just a query really. Today I collected my little Muffinīs ashes. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised to find them in a velvet sachet laid inside a very pretty little stained glass casket with his name engraved on it, also a "cremation certificate" with his details, name, date of birth, death etc and even a lovely little epitaph. The cost, was 140 euros.
I had at first presumed this to include the vet fee for having him put to sleep but then I realised the cremation is done by a completely separate company. I have no idea whether this would be classed as expensive or not and wondered if anyone else has had a pet cremated and what the cost was.
Not that it matters, he was my little sweetheart and I couldnīt bear to think he was just taken away and got rid of.
Sorry to hear you've lost your beloved pet!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 11:14 PM

Thank you for the reply Julie. I too was in a terrible state that day, itīs taken me until now to collect the ashes. To be honest I donīt have any particular beliefs but I couldnīt bear the thought of Muffinīs little body being discarded somewhere, silly maybe but one way or another I guess I wanted to keep him for ever, or at the very least know what happened to his remains. This way I can, or at least I can convince myself that I can.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

28-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Thank you Jazzi, it was just over a month ago now so coming to terms with it, at least I think I am, we miss him a lot though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 11:20 PM

Thank you Jazzi, it was just over a month ago now so coming to terms with it, at least I think I am, we miss him a lot though.
Sorry, didn't realise it was that long ago. Weren't you telling us about his illness/treatment?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

28-10-2014, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Sorry, didn't realise it was that long ago. Weren't you telling us about his illness/treatment?
Yes I recall I was, but Muffinīs deterioration happened very quickly, everything that could be done was done but his little heart couldnīt take any more and he was really suffering.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 11:44 PM

What a sad time for you Clumsy, all us animal lovers will understand.
My last dog was cremated, I'd always had the space to bury them myself before that. I've still got the bill somewhere, but I believe it was around Ģ180 for the vet to put him to sleep, arrange the cremation, and for his ashes to be returned to me. He was a very large German Shepherd, so I do not know if the prices are less for smaller animals.
It bothered me whether I was actually getting my Biff's ashes back, how would I know? So I asked one of the lovely nurses at my vets (who also trained in pet bereavement councelling). She assured me they only cremated one dog at a time, and that she had done her training at that crem and saw exactly what happened from start to finish, she said that is why the practice used them.
I stayed with Biff and held him, and afterwards my vet asked the girls to make me a cup of tea in the staffroom before I drove home. My vet also wrote a personal letter to me, telling me he knew I was too distressed to take in what was happening at the time, and explained exactly why he had to put Biff to sleep, then got someone to pop it through my door after surgery that evening.
Talk about over and above the call of duty - that gentle, caring man is worth his weight in gold.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 11:51 PM

Yes it can make a huge difference how the vet is about it all, mine is lovely he always insists the other dogs in the family visit the body of the deceased so they can say goodbye, sends a card and letter after the event and phones a few weeks later to see if we are all coping. Is there for any question no matter how daft. The nurses are lovely too and won't let you leave without a cup of tea and a good cry. Such a difference to some we have been unlucky enough to encounter one in particular who in the end was struck off, I can't talk about him it's still 20 odd years later too distressing !
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 12:22 AM

my friend had her small dog put to sleep and the cremation cost Ģ120, I have to say I don't personally believe the ashes are those of just one dog and so it wouldn't be something I'd do as I'd always think it was a group cremation and would have nagging doubts about the whole process

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top