Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 09:07 PM

Re: Staffies and the like

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I don't think I've ever seen an "ugly" dog. If you are a true animal lover then you won't see any dog as being repulsive or ugly. Or any animal really. We used to say our wee Cindy was a wee scruff muffin, but she was adorable to us, even with her beard and grey hair
I'm not so sure I have seen ugly dogs even had one but loved him just the same. He was wonderful just not very photogenic !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 09:38 PM

I canīt imagine there is any such thing as an ugly dog, different maybe but they are all appealing, to me at least. I think Iīve been lucky with dogs, past and present, all have had lovely natures, well apart from one of my little Pomeranians, he would let anyone pet him for approximately 3 minutes, then he would give a quick sharp yap which never failed to make the person petting him jump, it never failed. We could actually see the wicked glint come in his eyes when he was going to do this, wicked little dog he was. However I will be honest and say that much as I love all dogs I would never consider having a Staffie or any other dog that I would consider too strong or too unpredictable to be 100% comfortable with. My feeling is that such dogs should only ever be kept by experts in dog handling and training. Itīs very sad that so many people want them simply for status symbols or even worse, dog fighting.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Wonderful stories of folks that love dogs.

My boy was on death row when we picked him. I knew, athougth didn't acknoweldge to myself, the moment I clapped eyes on him that if we didn't take him, nobody would. The way he looked (strong stocky staffie) and acted (whining, excitable, exuberant) was very offputting to some - thankfully not to me! I couldn't sleep the night after seeing him and although we'd initially refused him, I knew I had to go back and go back we did and because of him I have been introduced to some absolutely incredible dog forums on the internet. I've learnt so much about myself and about dogs and how they're trained.

Most importantly I've learned about gentleness and kindness from my dog and how it inspires him to be the best dog going.

Now if you'll excuse me I must go and weep at the idea that any dog could be "repulsive".

Baxter, Cindy was found in a carrier bag in a local hospital ground. Then Mandy was found with tape wrapped round her mouth, stuck in a bag in a bush in the local park. They were lovely dogs. Heinz 57 Varieties, but lovely
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not so sure I have seen ugly dogs even had one but loved him just the same. He was wonderful just not very photogenic !
Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I canīt imagine there is any such thing as an ugly dog, different maybe but they are all appealing, to me at least. I think Iīve been lucky with dogs, past and present, all have had lovely natures, well apart from one of my little Pomeranians, he would let anyone pet him for approximately 3 minutes, then he would give a quick sharp yap which never failed to make the person petting him jump, it never failed. We could actually see the wicked glint come in his eyes when he was going to do this, wicked little dog he was. However I will be honest and say that much as I love all dogs I would never consider having a Staffie or any other dog that I would consider too strong or too unpredictable to be 100% comfortable with. My feeling is that such dogs should only ever be kept by experts in dog handling and training. Itīs very sad that so many people want them simply for status symbols or even worse, dog fighting.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Well done for taking a dog nobody else would and for making a success of it . If only they all could be as lucky .
When I got one of my cats she was around 12 years old and had been in two different rescue centres for at least 6 months . She was fat , her hair was all coming out in clumps and she was hissy and grumpy . I knew nobody else would take her and so she came home with me . She is very friendly now but still fat and certainly not the best looking cat I have ever seen . Some people would even say she was repulsive but she's our cat and we love her .
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 07:48 PM

I would love to have a cat but it wouldn't be fair on the poor thing. My dog would terrorise it. At one point, before I got dogs, I had 3 cats - one I got as a kitten and then the other two just kind of turned up at my door when they were adults. I love cats but they don't seem to like me anymore because I smell of dog - but most know the source of a good cuddle when they see one!

It saddens me so much to hear about animals ending up in rescue centres because people just didn't take proper care - such a shame.

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Well done for taking a dog nobody else would and for making a success of it . If only they all could be as lucky .
When I got one of my cats she was around 12 years old and had been in two different rescue centres for at least 6 months . She was fat , her hair was all coming out in clumps and she was hissy and grumpy . I knew nobody else would take her and so she came home with me . She is very friendly now but still fat and certainly not the best looking cat I have ever seen . Some people would even say she was repulsive but she's our cat and we love her .
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 08:01 PM

I just had to tell my dogs that I don't really love them because I am a person who finds some dogs (and other animals - and people!) repulsive. They're upset, but I've promised I'll find them a good home...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 08:01 PM

I'm afraid to say that I don't trust people who don't like animals. Okay - they might be afraid, but when they say they hate them then I find it sad. They've missed out on something. The love and companionship of an animal is such a wonderful thing. No animal is ugly in my eyes . Ugly people, in personality yes, but not ugly animals.
Baxter8
Somerset

30-10-2014, 08:33 PM

What an incredibly immature response.

Are you known for tossing your toys out the pram when people take offence to what you say?

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
I just had to tell my dogs that I don't really love them because I am a person who finds some dogs (and other animals - and people!) repulsive. They're upset, but I've promised I'll find them a good home...
Baxter8
Somerset

30-10-2014, 08:37 PM

I feel the same way.I just don't want them in my life tbh.

I'm afraid to say that I don't trust people who don't like animals. Okay - they might be afraid, but when they say they hate them then I find it sad. They've missed out on something. The love and companionship of an animal is such a wonderful thing. No animal is ugly in my eyes . Ugly people, in personality yes, but not ugly animals.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:25 PM

I actually respect people who don't like animals and are willing to say so and not have any, the people I dislike are ones who say they love their dog while starving it or beating it. Give me an honest person who knows they don't want an animal than someone who clearly doesn't like animals but inflicts cruelty on them.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top