Join for free
Page 485 of 1676 « First < 385 435 475 483 484 485 486 487 495 535 585 985 1485 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

So many questions, so little time, what the heck.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
'ere wez go dangle his derrick and his boom again - watch out sweetikins or 'ell ave ya trusted up in a tarp and wedge and secured for rough seas - and those seas and seamen can be rough!

Pugsie ya can spin a yarn as good as Tristan Jones!
Are you calling me a liar,gumbud?
Are those 'spin a yarn' words inferring an untruth on my part?

For if so,I suggest you persuse the UK maritime records of not only lines/companies,but the names and ranks of those employed by said companies. Yes-I genuinely DO still hold my skipper's ticket, for vessels of 'Home and Continental Shelf trading', up to and including 1,200 tons. My first command was MV Subro Vesta,which I took over from Billy Budd;my second-and by far the longest,was MV Subro Venture. I came ashore,rescinding my command purely due to being asked if it were possible to take in two children who had been really badly abused and needed a safe home. They didn't need to ask twice-I gave them that safe haven. To do so,I had to be present,as the father was violent and had,previously to the two youngsters being rehomed,broken bones in both of them. Ergo,I gave up my command. WHY? Simple-I had already lived that type of childhood-thus the 71 homes of varying standard I was constantly shifted between,resulting in attending 51 schools...and THUS my love of books,resulting in my gaining degrees in subjects that interested and fascinated me as a friendless child...because 'friends' were something other people had. So please,as the "Good Book" says; "judge not,lest ye be judged",old chap. Oh-and,not that for one moment I expect you to give a damn...the two children are now both adults;one is a primary school teacher, the other is a lorry driver-and still,to this 'enlightened' day, she gets asked if she's gay,because she drives LGV's.
Funny ol' world, innit just...
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 05:01 AM

Oh dear you have got your knickers in a twist innit!!

well pugsy lad the phrase "to spin a yarn" has many connotations ranging from 'telling a story' which may be true to 'telling a whole pack of lies' - the salacious character Tristan Jones wrote beyond a dozen books of his sailing exploits around the world and claimed almost all were non-fictional - some stand on the shelves of the National Library in Washington a testimony of his lies. And sailors of course have a world wide reputation for embellishing the facts and spinning old sailors yarns. BUT if you say that these facts that you lay be before us on this page are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth then hallelujah mon I believes - I believes!!

I did bit of sailing meself once when I was ashore in old Hong Kong - used to sail out every sat morn in the good ship enterprise into the harbor for a spot of racing - yes I got the nautical spirit in me veins too laddie!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 05:06 AM

never mind dear lets press on ya can put all ya medals and certificates away for a while.

I have just started watching the film "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" and what will all those terrible atrocities being committed in the name of Islam this is a lovely film - not sure if it's fiction or non-fiction but some gerk around here will tell us I am sure!

but came across this little ditti:

Step we gaily, on we go
Heel for heel and toe for toe,
Arm in arm and row on row
All for Mairi's wedding.

Over hillways up and down
Myrtle green and bracken brown,
Past the sheilings through the town
All for sake of Mairi.
Chorus

Red her cheeks as rowans are
Bright her eyes as any star,
Fairest o' them all by far
Is our darlin' Mairi.
Chorus

Plenty herring, plenty meal
Plenty peat to fill her creel,
Plenty bonny bairns as weel
That's the toast for Mairi.

and I thought it was Oirish see Jem and thought well wouldn't that be nice to post that for our thread master Jem!! but it looks like it's actually Scots but yez is both gaelic ain't ya ?? and here's the singin version on UUUUUUtube!

it's got such a nice bouncing air about it and very positive too!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 08:55 AM

Gummy, that post made me realise, just how much I enjoy Gaelic Bread.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

11-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Gummy, that post made me realise, just how much I enjoy Gaelic Bread.
exactly! that's wot we iz 'ere for to 'elp one another !! my spellin is comin on very well since I joined up the dots!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 10:48 AM

By the saints Jem what a place to live. You are so close to that church all you had to do was roll out of bed to land on the church steps. Down side is the priest could reach out from the pulpit and slap you in your bed should you miss a mass.

Back in the mist of time when a relative was filling me in on my Mayo relations the sainted Matt Talbot was mentioned. Not as kin but for the drink you understand. Very interesting

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Not the church Gummy, in the building on the right side of the photo with the black and white brickwork.
A very holy man called Matt Talbot dropped dead in Granby Lane in 1924, right under the window of the room where I was born, I think the pope is making him a saint shortly.
So in your next post you may address me as "Your Grace"

Here's the better picture I was trying to find. Thems all me relations standing out for the reporters cameraman, so that photo was taken in 1924 not 1928 as I previously said.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->

I did bit of sailing meself once when I was ashore in old Hong Kong - used to sail out every sat morn in the good ship enterprise into the harbor for a spot of racing - yes I got the nautical spirit in me veins too laddie!
Was piped aboard the old Enterprise a few times on the pretense of The golden rivet needing inspecting. Not sure if that qualified me as a sailor though .

These were proper sailors

https://www.forcesreunited.co.uk/uni...hms-enterprise
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:06 AM

How goeth the day chums?

My day goeth WELL

Here is a nice story

"Everything is going wrong"" said the son to his father What do you mean?” asked the father. “Well, work is boring, the kids are behaving terribly, my wife and I keep having rows and to cap it all the dog is sick. Life is awful and I hate it,” came the tearful reply. “Don’t worry,” replied the father, “these things happen. It will pass, it will pass.”

A few weeks later they were on the phone again. “How’s it going?” enquired the father. “Great!” his son replied. “My work is good, the kids are fine, my wife and I are getting on famously and the dog is fully recovered.” So the father said, “Don’t worry, it will pass, it will

Gummy, your verses reminded me of a song which had a regular habit if raising my spirits.

I can't tell you how long it has been stowed away in my consciousness or memory

Glad that I live am I;
That the sky is blue;
Glad for the country lanes,
And the fall of dew.

After the sun, the rain,
After the rain the sun;
This is the way of life,
Till the work be done.

All that we need to do,
Be we low or high,
Is to see that we grow,
Nearer to God on high
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

11-02-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Was piped aboard the old Enterprise a few times on the pretense of The golden rivet needing inspecting. Not sure if that qualified me as a sailor though .

These were proper sailors

https://www.forcesreunited.co.uk/uni...hms-enterprise
oh no you misunderstood solo - I sailed in a small racing sailboat each saturday arvo in a two man /woman boat called an enterprise!!

Page 485 of 1676 « First < 385 435 475 483 484 485 486 487 495 535 585 985 1485 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top