Join for free
Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:32 PM

Re: Astra zeneca and EU ??

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same here, Summer.

In fact I am thinking of decling the second one.
I think in your case, you have a very good reason not to have the second one. At least you do still have some protection in you from the first.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:39 PM

I wonder if the problem is that everybody was reluctant to have a jab that hadn't been tested for years & governments are afraid if getting things wrong. Remember the criticism of Boris when people thought he had ended the lock down too soon

I had my first AZ jab in February & felt awful for about 15 hours later that day, but I feel great now & will still have my second jab in April!

Having the vaccination is a personal choice & I do know that one lady has been told that her traumatic health problems, soon after the jab, could have been a reaction. She was much worse than I was so I understand why she didn't want the second.

Controlling this pandemic was urgent, so vaccinations are important, but when the choice is risk dying of Covid or the smaller risk of possibly having blood clots, I know that I will have my next jab!
I can get a blood clot any time and die, but after what I have seen on TV, I don't want to get Covid!

What is the betting that I survive both, and then get run over by a bus.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And the very best of health Scot, long may you continue...

My blood pressure has always been on the low side, and because my resting heart rate is in the mid forties, beta blockers made me very ill so I was taken off them. I refused to take statins after several friends and family members had their mobility much reduced after muscle and joint pains.
So I now approach any medication with extreme caution, and if I can survive without it and continue with a very active life I will. But having said that, things change and I would not refuse medication in the future.
I have been reading your posts OGF and l must commend you on
your philosophy and life style !!
If more people were like you we would have less reliance on
doctors etc, who, imo , sometimes create a cycle of pill taking
instead of life style changes??
Any way keep on keeping on, good luck!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😃😃👍👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:55 PM

A great link Dex, it says it all l think !!
Perhaps l should belt up ??
I like the bit about falling asleep at inappropriate times !!

Donkeyman! 😴😴😴
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 05:03 PM

From Dex's link:

AstraZeneca itself says there have been 15 deep vein thrombosis (DVT) events and 22 pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in the lungs) across the whole of the EU and UK up to 8 March. “This is much lower than would be expected to occur naturally in a general population of this size and is similar across other licensed Covid-19 vaccines,” it said in a statement. [My underlining and embolding]

It seems to me, as with others here, it's all down to cowardice on the part of certain EU leaders.

If anyone is concerned about the AZ vaccine, they should talk to their own GP about it and not take advice from anyone unqualified medically.

As far as V and I are concerned, we had the AZ jab, both of us had soreness where the needle went in (as expected from previous blood tests, vaccinations, etc) and, we can't wait for our 2nd jab next month.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-03-2021, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
From Dex's link:

AstraZeneca itself says there have been 15 deep vein thrombosis (DVT) events and 22 pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in the lungs) across the whole of the EU and UK up to 8 March. “This is much lower than would be expected to occur naturally in a general population of this size and is similar across other licensed Covid-19 vaccines,” it said in a statement. [My underlining and embolding]

It seems to me, as with others here, it's all down to cowardice on the part of certain EU leaders.

If anyone is concerned about the AZ vaccine, they should talk to their own GP about it and not take advice from anyone unqualified medically.

As far as V and I are concerned, we had the AZ jab, both of us had soreness where the needle went in (as expected from previous blood tests, vaccinations, etc) and, we can't wait for our 2nd jab next month.

Exactly Percy !!
Just been watching algazeera Brussels on this issue and there seems
to be a bit of a frenzy going on amongst our European friends at
the moment, it's very confusing !!
When they sort it all out l don't think anybody will be getting any
medals??
BTW, l see that iceland ( the country) has suspended the AZ vaccine ?
This is a country with only 350,000 residents and where covid at its
peak was only about 100 cases and presently is running at zero
new cases ?? What do you make of that ??
I am at a loss !!!
Seems that all our old enemies in Europe are ganging up on us
again? ( I don't include Iceland in that description !)

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh, Zaphod....I'm getting vaccinated alright. I can't wait....but I would rather have the pfizer. Its more effective after the first dose too.
Given the tripe that is spouted in so many places regarding the Oxford/AZ vaccine especially I'm not about to decry your reasoning so please don't take this as being directed against you personally.

There are many variables regarding the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccinations so beware false prophets there.
As more research is done the Oxford/AZ vaccine is proving to be better than originally thought in many ways and against different strains although let's be honest; any significant degree of protection against this killer virus is better than none.
They are all far more effective than the flu jab if you really want a comparison, with those preventing ICU admissions by 82% in those vaccinated according to 2018 research.

FWIW it seems that reactions to the Pfizer/Biontech vaccine are (surprise surprise and no apologies for the sarcasm there) at least equal to those of the Oxford/AZ equivalent.
Which BTW are pretty much the same as for the annual flu jab too.

Here's the FCA and CDC guidance re: the Pfizer/Biontech jab which says (this wording from the FDA):
"The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose ..."
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepar...vid-19-vaccine

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-BioNTech.html

So there you have it; from official sources studying reactions it seems that you're just as likely to get the same sort of reaction following either Covid-19 vaccine currently being given here in the UK with a particular mention that the reactions to the Pfizer/Biontech can be worse following the second dose.

FWIW I had my first on Friday evening and was ........... not "poorly" exactly but certainly "off" on Saturday alrthough by Sunday I had returned to normal.
Well, normal for me.
But I get the same reaction if I have the flu jab, every darned time.

All that asside it's really as simple as this: have a vaccine against Covid-19 and take the risk of feeling poorly for a little while - or don't and face a stisticaly far, far greater risk of death from Covid-19.

Sadly by stopping the Oxford/AZ vaccine in so many countries those are in effect condemning more of their citizenry to death, an unsavoury fact admittedly but one for which their decision-makers will I hope be held accountable.

It's looking more and more likely that the attempted weaponisation of Covid-19 vaccines has far more to do with politics and money than about peoples lives.
Isn't it strange that the only vaccine to be repeatedly questioned in so many ways is not Russian or Chinese but instead is the only one which has promised not to profit as a result of the pandemic?
Other big pharma's won't see profits suffer if the Oxford/AZ one sells less because of scare tactics, that's for sure.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 05:49 PM

It seems that the EU's refusal to accept the AZ vaccines is, after all, a political decision and not founded on medical findings. The EU medics have confirmed it.

https://unredacted.co.uk/2021/03/16/...-is-political/

It really doesn't bother me, of course, and I have had the AZ vaccine.
If the EU politicians want to play silly buggers, that's fine.

The vaccines that we produce here in the UK can be used for our own people and, if the EU want to be childish about it, any excess vaccines that we have can be supplied at cost price to anyone outside the EU and preferably the Commonwealth countries first.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Given the tripe that is spouted in so many places regarding the Oxford/AZ vaccine especially I'm not about to decry your reasoning so please don't take this as being directed against you personally.

No, of course its not personal I have the flu shot, and suffer no ill effects. I understand that this vaccine will ramp up the immunity in the body, hence the "mild" side effects. I could deal with that, because then I would be reassured my body was doing it's job.

Of course, it has to be said that I am influenced by the reports in the news about various "terrible" side effects of the vaccine - and since that's all I have to go on...well, I feel like there must be some substance to the claims. Mr P had his first Pfizer vaccine and was in bed for three days with muscle aches and whatnot (mild flu like symptoms) he has yet to get his second. I am just apprehensive thats all
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-03-2021, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

There are many variables regarding the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccinations so beware false prophets there.
As more research is done the Oxford/AZ vaccine is proving to be better than originally thought in many ways and against different strains although let's be honest; any significant degree of protection against this killer virus is better than none.
They are all far more effective than the flu jab if you really want a comparison, with those preventing ICU admissions by 82% in those vaccinated according to 2018 research.

FWIW it seems that reactions to the Pfizer/Biontech vaccine are (surprise surprise and no apologies for the sarcasm there) at least equal to those of the Oxford/AZ equivalent.
Which BTW are pretty much the same as for the annual flu jab too.

Here's the FCA and CDC guidance re: the Pfizer/Biontech jab which says (this wording from the FDA):
"The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose ..."
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepar...vid-19-vaccine

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-BioNTech.html

So there you have it; from official sources studying reactions it seems that you're just as likely to get the same sort of reaction following either Covid-19 vaccine currently being given here in the UK with a particular mention that the reactions to the Pfizer/Biontech can be worse following the second dose.

FWIW I had my first on Friday evening and was ........... not "poorly" exactly but certainly "off" on Saturday alrthough by Sunday I had returned to normal.
Well, normal for me.
But I get the same reaction if I have the flu jab, every darned time.

All that asside it's really as simple as this: have a vaccine against Covid-19 and take the risk of feeling poorly for a little while - or don't and face a stisticaly far, far greater risk of death from Covid-19.

Sadly by stopping the Oxford/AZ vaccine in so many countries those are in effect condemning more of their citizenry to death, an unsavoury fact admittedly but one for which their decision-makers will I hope be held accountable.

It's looking more and more likely that the attempted weaponisation of Covid-19 vaccines has far more to do with politics and money than about peoples lives.
Isn't it strange that the only vaccine to be repeatedly questioned in so many ways is not Russian or Chinese but instead is the only one which has promised not to profit as a result of the pandemic?
Other big pharma's won't see profits suffer if the Oxford/AZ one sells less because of scare tactics, that's for sure.

Interesting point in your last paragraph Zaphod, quite possible
imo, especially as you pointed out that AZ is a not for profit
company ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top