Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 06:16 AM

Re: I wonder if it's taught in schools

”FIIGHHHHTT! Can anyone join in?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's a strange choice of literature to represent the Holocaust.
Why do you say that Annie ?
The book its original title was Schindlers Ark is a very good book for young people.
It shows up the horror of total power being balanced by one mans compassion and humanity.
It's right up there with To Kill a Mocking Bird
( which used to be on the school curriculum )
These are books that stimulate thought and dicussion combined with recent history .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 06:40 AM

They should show secondary school children The World At War, which although it was made in 1973 is still the best documentary ever made. It's essential that children have this kind of historical education rather than the usual kings and queens subjects and so on.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think Twink wasn't talking just about the UK but the world in general becoming overpopulated. Or is it ok if the rest of the world starves as long as we are well fed?
You are right Annie, I was talking about the world in general! I also think you are right in saying that people will seek to control the more fertile countries.

Not all will survive so I believe we would have to learn, once again, about survival of the fittest......but the fittest are not the ones who have enough food. How many people in the fertile lands suffer ill health because they over eat?
How many people will keep having children, when there are already lots of starving children to whom they could offer survival and a better life?

Human greed and selfishness have caused most of the problems on this planet, and because all species are dependent on the actions of other species, it won't just be humans that die.

Life has always been cruel, but the arrival of humans has made it considerably worse and in time, by various means, they will probably make the earth a place where all life will die....not just humans!

Apologies to the OP as this thread has moved away from the original topic!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 06:53 AM

That's alright Twink discussions do move on.
Most countries do have fertile lands but in the uk for example they are being built on at the rate of knots .
Farmers are selling their fields for exhorbitant prices for building land .
Houses are built with no or tiny gardens people cannot grow their own produce .
Councils imo should provide mor allotments for people who would like to do this .
In Africa because of aid we artificially support a population in parts of a country that can only historically sustain a small population.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
They should show secondary school children The World At War, which although it was made in 1973 is still the best documentary ever made. It's essential that children have this kind of historical education rather than the usual kings and queens subjects and so on.
I agree it's a genuine historical record

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 08:04 AM

I can't disagree with anything you have said there Muddy, but it has opened my mind to wondering if, sometimes, war opens our eyes to the real priorities in life.
eg.....

After the last war we needed to build homes, grow food and make this country better than it had been before the war.Apart from the badly injured, I doubt many people just sat back and waited for the country to look after them, many turned their hands to different trades to help rebuild this country. They were probably determined to demonstrate that we didn't just win the war, we were also going to have a better country to live in. Pride can be a great motivator & life was good for many when this was achieved!

Sadly these days, very few of us had to live through the hard times of war so many just expect a good life and have learned that, if we don't work hard for it ourselves the government will provide.

Are we losing the sense of pride in doing a good job, no matter how hard the work is or what level we are paid?
Are we losing the skills of cooking a reasonable meal, with the products we are able to buy?
Are we losing our individual ability to be independent, because we have a nanny state that will look after us?

When I look around me now, I don't see those strong people who went through the war and came through stronger after it ended. I see people who always want things to be better, but very few that are prepared to go the extra mile to achieve a better life.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-04-2018, 08:07 AM

Yes ,yes and yes .
Our compensation and grievance culture means that it's always someone else's fault .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
You are right Annie, I was talking about the world in general! I also think you are right in saying that people will seek to control the more fertile countries.
Much of Africa is some of the most fertile land in the world.

It's just that the people who live there, and those who run the show, are inefficient. Add to that the facts that they are constantly fighting each other and also breeding like flies.

Some of those countries, when ruled by the British, were much more efficient. Such is life.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That's alright Twink discussions do move on.
Most countries do have fertile lands but in the uk for example they are being built on at the rate of knots .
Farmers are selling their fields for exhorbitant prices for building land .
Houses are built with no or tiny gardens people cannot grow their own produce .
Councils imo should provide mor allotments for people who would like to do this .
In Africa because of aid we artificially support a population in parts of a country that can only historically sustain a small population.
Indeed. Our country, too, is becoming overpopulated, and we all know why.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top