Join for free
Page 14 of 24 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 09:45 PM

Re: The Windrush Debacle

Oh come on Fender, nobody forced us to take people in. We just didn't bother to stop them because it was inconvenient to implement the rules other countries did. Why do you think they all came here rather than staying in France or Germany? It's because our government encouraged them and we did nothing to stop them getting all the benefits.

So after all that to turn around now and chuck these people out is just as unethical as to chuck out those from Windrush.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
edited
Who are you to edit my post?

I would worry about your own posts before you start editing those of others.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
True,

But it's just so much easier to throw the Racist word around like confetti. The most misused word around at the moment imo.
You are so right!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Oh come on Fender, nobody forced us to take people in. We just didn't bother to stop them because it was inconvenient to implement the rules other countries did. Why do you think they all came here rather than staying in France or Germany? It's because our government encouraged them and we did nothing to stop them getting all the benefits.

So after all that to turn around now and chuck these people out is just as unethical as to chuck out those from Windrush.
Annie,

I think it would be a disgrace to chuck out the windrush people, they have every right to stay.
However, we should not be letting anymore in from this point. Our infrastructure is now stretched to the limit, and we should be curbing those we know very well are simply economic migrants..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
thats absolutely not true. There have been countless reports of “white” people from places like Australia and New Zealand having to return to their homelands for one reason or another.
This is true .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 10:58 PM

Annie,

I think it would be a disgrace to chuck out the windrush people, they have every right to stay.
However, we should not be letting anymore in from this point. Our infrastructure is now stretched to the limit, and we should be curbing those we know very well are simply economic migrants..
I totally agree about changes going forward, but I don't think we should chuck out people who came here legally at the time, windrush or not. Some of these headlines where families are being broken up and middle aged or elderly people who have paid years of taxes ending up in detention centres are appalling.

They need to draw a line and then make changes. Ethnicity shouldn't be an emotive factor for the decision. We need a system and it doesn't feel as though anyone is planning anything sensible, just reacting with knee jerk when things go wrong.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

25-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I totally agree about changes going forward, but I don't think we should chuck out people who came here legally at the time, windrush or not. Some of these headlines where families are being broken up and middle aged or elderly people who have paid years of taxes ending up in detention centres are appalling.

They need to draw a line and then make changes. Ethnicity shouldn't be an emotive factor for the decision. We need a system and it doesn't feel as though anyone is planning anything sensible, just reacting with knee jerk when things go wrong.
Perhaps you would like to tell us how MANY people have been “chucked out” Annie? People are getting hysterical about this and imagining that everyone who came here in the 50s -70s is getting thrown out. That is completely wrong. Most people who came here from the West Indies have had no problems whatsoever and have travelled around the world and re-entered the country countless times because their paperwork was in order. We are talking about a very small minority here who did not take up the chance (or their parents didnt) to get the correct ID when it was offered.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

25-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Annie,

Yes, those who came here legally with their parents must be allowed to stay and the Govt have said this will be the case.

I also agree that we should now have very strict limits on people coming to settle in this country as we have taken in millions of West Indians, Chinese, Congalese, Vietnamese, Ugandan Asians, Syrians, Afghans, Indians and Pakistanis to name just a few. In recent years we have also taken in Poles, Czechs, Portuguese, Lithuanians, Rumanians etc in huge numbers.

The strain on our resources is huge and I dont think theres anything wrong in now saying “we have done more than our bit over the years but from now on there will be very, very strict limits on who settles in our country.”
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Annie,

It would seem the 'windrush' scandal is not wholly related to those who came here from the Caribbean - but seems to be from the entire Commonwealth - which, if true, could involve hundreds of thousands if not millions.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...windrush-group

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...argaret-obrien
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

25-04-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It would seem the 'windrush' scandal is not wholly related to those who came here from the Caribbean - but seems to be from the entire Commonwealth - which, if true, could involve hundreds of thousands if not millions.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...windrush-group

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...argaret-obrien
I’m not being funny but the Canadian woman featured here had a chance to reapply for her passport in 2008. If she had done that there wouldnt have been a problem. Also, she should have examined her other passport properly because there WAS a stamp in it which would have saved her all this anguish.

People are just trying to blow this all up, when for decades, people have been threatened with deportation if their paperwork is not in order. Thats fine by me and all other countries do it, its not like its just us.

Page 14 of 24 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top