Join for free
Page 146 of 370 « First < 46 96 136 144 145 146 147 148 156 196 246 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 04:17 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Hi Suzie.
yes, I write down my workouts on a piece of paper which has my template in table form, updated each time later at home. I find that the best method; I can't use an app as I like my own system, my own routine and the good old-fashioned pen and paper method cannot be replaced IMO.

I have sorted out my new routine actually. I have added a Monday to the equation because one workout during the week simply is not good enough. I missed my session at the weekend and less than an hour each week will not suffice, so I've looked at my programme and split it into three sections - two light, easy-ish workouts during the week focussing on two sets of reps each. On Fridays I will do the big strength session, pending other duties (like last week), plus a little cardio to finish off with. Sunday's legs session will remain unchanged.
So with four sessions per week, I think it's do-able tbh, as I shouldn't be too tired during the week. I'll try to photograph my actual template and post in on here this week sometime to give you an idea. next workout Wednesday though

You seem to have had a slightly struggling run today, Suzie. We all get those days, but that head wind will give you endurance qualities, so it's good to have those sort of power routines once in a while.

Have to go now as it's back to work . Last stint though and then home again. Today it's the school run and that's about it really. Rest day.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Morning Floydy and Surfermom, some very interesting posts you two, but as time seems to have been in short supply the last couple of days I've not been able to post as much as I wanted to.

My records go back to 1980 Surfermom, although my first couple of years (1978 & 1979) were still logged, distances and times are a bit sketchy. The early logs were carefully documented in a leger, but with the popularity of the computer, and some fellow runners who were pushing the boundaries of technology I transferred all my files to Bill Gates.......and never looked back....

Again short of time, I'll just describe the awful and painful traverse of this mornings five mile shuffle........Awful and painful!

Between Kitchens, Weddings and new garden walls I feel like I've just been thrown off a roundabout.......Back soon.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 04:06 AM

Floydy, your four day program sounds excellent. Have you figured out what you plan to do for cardio? It's interesting how you and OGF record your sessions. The only recording I do is via my watch and informally on a large dry erase calendar I keep in the kitchen. The downside is that once the month is over, so is the record. While my running will be in the cloud through the millennia, my surfing, step aerobics, cycling, etc. go the way of ink dust every thirty days or so. I suppose it's because my focus how much I get done each week, and my routine is anything but

OGF, you are a good sport to do all this DIY, etc. and to make this upcoming wedding so special for the ladies in your life. I hope that despite the aches and pains of today's run, that you are still making progress in getting back to your old routine.

Today was a repeat of yesterday - gale force winds from the west, so with strategic planning, I had the wind at my back for the second half of the run, and ran the beach at low ties.. The neat thing about today's run was that there were about six kite board surfers out. I can't even imagine the upper body strength and coordination it must take to manage such a sport, and it's one that has passed me by. Still, I was happy with my feet planted on terra firma to run alongside and count off another six miles.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Bob - You seem like you have a lot on your hands right now, but keep at it, you're doing great. Just be cautious of your niggles bud and you'll be fine

Suzie - It sounds like your having some severely blowy weather over there right now. Just think though - all that running against the wind will keep that stamina and endurance up to speed no end. No fun running in a storm though, it's far too wet isn't it?

- - - - - - - - - - -

And so the first session of my updated programme. Before I start I’ll just mention again that I’ll be doing the following workouts:

Monday:
Light reps work. Three sets, 30-40 mins, eight exercises with fixed weights. Only the reps may increase on the third set each week.

Wednesday:
Five different exercises to Monday’s session, but retaining the two new bicep/tricep rapid-fire ‘pump’ exercises, plus the mandatory ab crunches. Same time frame as Monday too and again, light but high reps over three sets.

Friday (or Saturday*):
My big strength session, just to keep my form up to scratch. That session will be up to two hours and will contain 12-15 exercises with increasingly heavier weight for each set, with up to six sets on some exercises. Those exercises will be mostly different from Mon and Wed unless I use some of the previous ones for higher weight on this day as well.

If I’m up to it, I may do a little cardio after this workout, but it’s not essential as my two earlier sessions in the week are cardio in itself but using weights instead. I just do not have the time for a separate session for cardio and doing that during work days would simply bugger me up for my shift. Plus I’m on my feet anyway all night, so it’s not essential. Sometimes I think “I wish I was retired and have more time on my hands”, but quickly retract my thoughts as I’m happy being young and youthful.

Sunday:
Legs – unchanged.

Four sessions per week is just about right and shouldn’t affect my night shift fatigue too much as I’m doing the lighter work on those days. Tuesday and Friday afternoon I have the school run, which is now fixed for me on those days, which at least makes my planning easier. Thursday is a whole afternoon off at home by myself just chilling out, and of course Saturday* is my social life, excepting when I may take a weekend off to alternate my Friday session with that day.

- - - - - - - -

And so to today’s first new session of my new routine. I’d like have started this on Monday but that was a bit of an aborted attempt, so here’s where we begin…

Wedneday, 25 Apr 18: Light reps – Session Two:

Chest press:
25x40, 25x40, 15x50
*This is the machine version of the chest press. The heavier, inclined version will be done on Fridays.

Pec dec:
20x35, 20x35, 15x45

Fly dec:
25x65, 25x65, 20x72.8

Sled press:
100x100
*Included this leg exercise as I need just one quick blast for the legs during the week. I was surprised when I managed a hundred very fast reps, but it felt bloody good on the legs, even though they were like jelly climbing off the machine afterwards!

E-Z preacher curl, wide grip:
20x23, 20x23, 12x28
*The close grip version of this will be part of my strength routine on a Friday. This wide grip on the bar focuses on the outer head of the muscles, giving the biceps the ‘peak’, whereas the close grip involves the inner ‘belly’ of the biceps more. Together they form an all-round, defined shape to the muscle.

Standing triceps pump:
60x15
Standing biceps pump:
40x10
*Two brand new exercises I have added to all three of my upper body days training. Using the upright stack machine I do pulldowns or pullups, as many reps as I possibly can on a very light weight. Great for a final blast.

Ab crunch:
50x35
*Just the one set three times a week from now on.

40 mins.

Really happy with that today. I need to make some small adjustments and increase some reps but the weights are good and I think this will be a good routine.

I think it’s also good to retain a full write-up as it gives a purpose to my posts in here, so they will remain for interest and also as it works as a diary for myself to check up on my progress. I spend a lot of time on that music thread of mine, probably too much and I get agitated when I can’t keep up with it but it will wait. I can’t be getting stressed out with the thing but I’ll be glad when it’s all done to be honest! I do enjoy the thread but it does take some preparation.
Next session Friday evening where I’ll be on my new power workout.

Thanks for reading
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 08:52 PM

I've just been to my first Dancercize class, I took my 9 year old great niece along with me and while it was knackering for me it was bloody good fun!! Can't wait for next week already. We learned a whole dance routine in one session, I'll be competing in Just Dance before long at this rate haha
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 03:29 AM

Lion Queen, that's just wonderful! Not only did you get fitter while having fun doing it, you modeled to your little great niece that fitness counts at any age! Do you think this could become a regular activity between you?

Floydy, I really like the thoughtfulness in which you have built this new routine and it intuitively makes sense building towards Friday in which you can have a long strength workout and covering all the other bases during the rest of the week. I'll be interested to read how you feel about it after a couple of weeks. I'm with you about the accountability here. If you say it, you're more likely to do it.

Today I ran a simple 4.5 going around the park 3 times. It's not a terribly exciting trek, but there are always birds to see and it's close to the house, enabling me to get home and cook a big dinner for my brother who was flying his plane in from Colorado. A nice leisurely meal and catching up put my step aerobics on a back burner, but there is always another day! At least the winds have backed off some....

Ok, forum folks, Spring is here! It really is lovely out there. Get out there (realspeed, this means out of bed, and out the door) and let us hear about what you did and what you saw...even if you walk fifty feet .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

26-04-2018, 03:30 AM

Lion Queen, that's just wonderful! Not only did you get fitter while having fun doing it, you modeled to your little great niece that fitness counts at any age! Do you think this could become a regular activity between you?

Floydy, I really like the thoughtfulness in which you have built this new routine and it intuitively makes sense. Building towards Friday in which you can have a long strength workout and covering all the other bases during the rest of the week is impressive. I'll be interested to read how you feel about it after a couple of weeks. I'm with you about the accountability here. If you say it, you're more likely to do it.

Today I ran a simple 4.5 going around the park 3 times. It's not a terribly exciting trek, but there are always birds to see and it's close to the house, enabling me to get home and cook a big dinner for my brother who was flying his plane in from Colorado. A nice leisurely meal and catching up put my step aerobics on a back burner, but there is always another day! At least the winds have backed off some....

Ok, forum folks, Spring is here! It really is lovely out there. Get out there (realspeed, this means out of bed, and out the door) and let us hear about what you did and what you saw...even if you walk fifty feet .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 03:38 AM

Lion Queen - I'll echo what Surfermom said here.
That5's a great way to exercise, and I'm sure the youthfulness of your great niece will keep you on your toes (so to speak!) and keep you very active indeed whilst enjoying the dance moves. My wife takes our granddaughter to both ballet and 'street dance' classes, but I fear it's "strictly come dancing" for the little one only there!
Well done anyway!

Suzie - Nothing wrong with a little jaunt around the park for you and it certainly isn't boring at all. people watching, bird watching and getting your steps in too. can't be a bad thing at all. Hope the windy weather out there didn't cause too bad a landing for your brother in his plane!

We're just waiting on Bob now with his further adventures trotting around the countryside of sunny Doncaster.

Myself, I'll be taking a rest day today. My training schedule feels like it's working already - I'm full of energy now as I write and it's 3.40am in the morning!
No plans other than to chat a little on here and get some more albums in THAT thread.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:30 AM

I was reluctant to post today as things have not been going so well, in fact, I've been hanging on by the skin of my teeth. I'm feeling the same as Floydy did a couple of weeks ago when he thought he was moaning too much, this thread is supposed to encourage us to go out into the world of exercise and adventure, to climb mountains, whatever your personal mountain might be, and enjoy a better quality of life.....

It's not about negativity and shuffling off the mortal coil....
But you are all my friends on here and you have a right to know about Foxy's demise...

After messing about with a few lackluster three milers, I decided to run a five miler on Sunday. It was followed by the now compulsory 200mg Ibuprofen and despite not being able to bend down even to pick up a five pound note on Monday, I decided that by hell or high water I would return to running on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays...
Not only that, they would all be five milers.....

So off I go on Tuesday morning and completed the five mile route in a time Long John Silver would have been disappointed with. (A one legged Pirate in case you were wondering) A visit to the cinema and a wander around Meadowhall did not do me any favours either, although the cake was nice in M&S afterwards. And that's another point! After managing to attach an extra half stone to my usual lean racing snake figure, after cruising round the Caribbean on a mobile restaurant, I now find that it's impossible to shift, making running even more difficult than just a troublesome piriformis muscle is already doing......I'm beginning to look like Frank Cannon! (A fictitious overweight American detective from the seventies).....

Despite their being enough work on my now wrecked kitchen, to keep six dockers happy for the rest of the year, I kicked myself out into the wind and rain early this morning, dressed in nothing more than shorts and tee shirt and tried to loosen up this overweight, undertrained excuse for a body. It complained with every footfall, and as the rain dampened my spirit even more as it trickled down my grimacing face I actually cultivated thoughts of returning home by the shortest possible route.....

But I didn't return home, instead I pushed on into the fierce weather and completed (non stop) the five mile route, which even felt easier after a couple of miles and was rewarded with a fast (slow and ridiculous) time....

So down goes another Ibuprofen and out comes the toolbox for an exciting day in the kitchen....not!...
I do wonder though, how bad would it get if I didn't push myself to the limits I do?
Would I weigh twenty stone and sit in front of the TV with burgers and crisps watching 'Box Sets' all day. Would I have achieved the things that I have over the years had I not had the drive to continue? It's built in to my psyche, and I can't change that....I am what I am.........But it's a struggle sometimes......
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:01 PM

Foxy you're doing so well!
And yes I do agree that DRIVE is important!
It's so much easier to sit back and spend half the day on here or whatever...I've just returned from my Thursday morning walking group, the 3½ miles felt easy peasy today! Nattered all the way with various bids so it was a jolly morning.
Now to tidy up before the cleaners tomorrow!

Page 146 of 370 « First < 46 96 136 144 145 146 147 148 156 196 246 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top