Join for free
Page 90 of 370 « First < 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 190 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Roxy, Mups, Floydy and Surfermom, and anyone else who looked in and thought of a solution but was too frightened to post.......I have tried to explain the trials and tribulations of yer average long distance runner and his association with our cuddly canine friends.......

(1) Stubbornness is not one of my most attractive traits, but I suppose it’s a fine line between stubbornness and dedication, obsession and self discipline. I owe my success as a runner to all three, anyone who knows me well will realise that Tuesday’s, Thursday’s and Sunday’s are running days, and nothing gets in the way, other than a nuclear holocaust or death, well, my own death specifically. So bearing in mind that stubborn streak, altering or changing my running route is not an option.

(2) The farm in question is very remote and miles from the nearest civilisation, it’s actually a bit ‘Deliverance’ out there, and been nipped on the bum by a dog is preferable to some other fate that might be waiting for me should I enter the property of said farm. Farms are usually well guarded by dogs, among other things, and visitors are not encouraged, there is a post box on the gate for the postman so he never needs to enter the property. There is good reason for this amount of security, and it’s because they are so remote that they are an easy target for thieves. Cattle and machinery are the main targets but only just a few months ago a cyclist was stopped by some men in a white transit van, punched in the face, stripped naked, and everything of value was taken from him, including his bike and on the very road I call my regular running route, so I take no chances. I’m more afraid of people than I am of an aggressive hound.

(3) As Surfermom will probably testify (and any other regular runners) a running course must meet certain criteria. Is it the correct distance? Is it a circular, preferably starting and finishing at home? – Very boring running an out and back route on a regular basis or having to drive out to the start/finish every other day. Is it safe and relatively traffic free? Can it be run in the dark safely? Can it be run all year round? – And not up to the thighs in mud in wet weather. With good running shoes the price they are, it’s best not to mistreat them or lose them in the mud. And is it a regular dog walking route? Many a good intentioned owner exclaims “He won’t hurt you” after it has embedded it’s teeth into your £100 Gortex Running top and is been dragged whimpering down the road – And that’s just the runner! So if you are fortunate enough to have ticked all those boxes, you will understand that finding another running course is practically impossible, especially when there are only three roads leading out of the village, two of which contain an excessive amount of morons with cars.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 06:10 PM

I can totally understand why you don't want to change your route. As far as I can see, you should talk to the farmer. You could go to the farm in your car, that would protect you. You could phone him if you know the name, if not, get hold of a voters role and look him up. Get his phone no and then phone. But I wouldn't leave it to chance. Dogs as I'm sure you know can, and do, pick up on body language and if your the slightest bit anxious or up tight then be sure the dog will know, maybe think it's aggression on your part and ............
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 03:57 PM

There is nothing that will inspire great things in exercise like two back-to-back days of driving. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful this time of year, with the a the gingko and maples still dressed in their brilliant hues. With the first cold front of the season sweeping across North America, we are suddenly in a festive mood and pulling out sweaters and scarves from the depths of the closets and preparing for the holidays.

We just returned from my daughter's triumphant doctors appointments in North Carolina (the top research and teaching hospital in the country for brain disease). To save the forum from the long edition of the story, it seems that she will be making history with her astounding recovery from a four year battle with a rare brain disease. We have been asked for permission and participation in presenting her case formally to the medical community (publication, presentations, etc.) that will save other people from possible death and years of utter debilitation. Remember the movie Awakenings? She is not unlike that patient - only she pioneered a treatment that has her all but back to normal after five lost years.

So, as you can imagine, after a late arrival home last night, I was still up early bursting through the front door and out into the chilly gray morning for a well-needed seven mile run. I was a little stiff, but there is nothing like cold temperatures and being in high spirits to get my feet moving. Bundled up against the northerly winds whipping punishing gusts across the length of the river, I ran alongside it curious about how the pelicans, cormorants, and gulls were navigating the conditions, but alas they were nowhere to be seen. I suppose they were taking shelter in the wide stands of pine trees and the marsh grasses beyond the opposite banks.

In all, my pace today was 8:20 which I am fairly sure is one of my better times for that distance. Nothing like jubilation and feeling frost bitten to keep my feet moving. A blanket warmth reached as I opened the front door where happy tail-wagging dogs, a cup of hot chai, and a steaming shower await.

Aah, there is no place like home....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Hi Surfermom.
What an awesome achievement your daughter has made with her very rare condition. She's certainly a fighter and I wish her all the best in her further treatment. It's so sad she succumbed to such a debilitating condition in the first place, lost those valuable years of her life growing up, but she can look back and at least know that she may now be saving lives for others. What an inspiration she is!

I bet you were ready for your run yesterday after the long drive and the stress which you have had to endure. Getting out and about really does blow away those cobwebs for a while.

Take care all of you and please, remain positive
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:31 AM

Thank you Floydy, and hello to the rest of you interested enough to pop in on this thread.

While most of my exercise has been limited to pressing the accelerator in the car and walking through shops piled high with merchandise, I have finally carved out enough time to run - and it felt fantastic to be out there after a week of shifted priorities. After a few days off, I always expect to be sluggish or winded, but today, as I usually discover, I felt light and fast. It was thoroughly enjoyable on the winding streets lined with hardy oaks and evergreens.

In the summer my running gear consists of shorts and a tank top. However, this time of year, I tend to look like a inflated stack of tires, stiffly leaving the house in tights, a tank, a long sleeve top, a jacket with reflective material, gloves, and a headband to cover my ears. It's ridiculous, I know, and you all will laugh even more to know that the highs are around 13 C!

As quite the aficionado of the rich and fabulous food that comes with the holidays, I am determined to run 30 miles each week from now until the end of the year. Akin to the metaphorical rabbit chasing the carrot, with each mile, sugar plums dance in my head pressing me forward.

Oh, and my hip joints seem somewhat inflamed, but why ruin the positive vibe...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 11:48 AM

I wonder what you would have worn if you had come out with me this morning Surfermom?
Minus four degrees C, and that was when I got back home. A carefully selected collection of running apparel comprised of a running vest surrounded by a favourite tee shirt and topped off with a thin fleece running top, a Guernsey cap, with running shorts and white ankle socks on the lower body. Although my shorts were of a more substantial material than my usual ones.

Had a bit of a lie in this morning when I noticed that even at seven it was still dark. I eventually jogged off around seven thirty. Our thoughtful council had seen fit to salt the roads overnight which led to a pleasant running experience. The canal was frozen over in places (the first time this year) and the few drivers I encountered were all driving sensibly at around 30mph, so no evasive action was necessary. The only thing in the sky were a few Starlings and Rooks and a segment of moon soon to be outshone by a fabulous sunrise.

Just a little muscle tightness in my lower back on the last mile but nothing tragic. All in all, a very satisfying six miles, and leaving enough energy in the tank for whatever Tuesday will throw at me.

You said you were attempting thirty miles each week from now on Surfermom, can I inquire how you intend to make up your thirty miles? i.e. One run of thirty miles each week? Two outings of fifteen miles? Three sessions of ten miles? Five runs of six miles? or six runs of five miles? Or will it be:- five gold rings - four calling birds - three turtle doves - two french hens - and a partridge in a pear tree? Only joking, I am interested though......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-12-2017, 04:47 AM

OGF, you would most certainly be laughing at me so heavily layered that I would be unable to bend knees or elbows, but the smiles would be all mine as I would be ready to forge ahead snug as a bug in a rug.

Today, however, I was able to set out in nothing more than a long sleeve top and compression shorts for a solid seven miles. Most of my bird sightings were the snowbird sort - the retirees from the north who come down here to avoid their own icy climates. They have to be watched carefully as they are not inclined to give runners or cyclists much of a road margin, but farther down the road, I spied a rare blue heron with her wings spread to soak up our wintry sun.

Now as for my preferred mileage breakdown, what I prefer is often not what I can typically complete due to a chronic and debiliitating condition I have called "adulthood". The symptoms of which mean that instead of running six days per week, right now I am usually running five days for six miles.

But thirty? Are you trying to knock me off, OGF?

At best I can do thirteen, but I am usually not good for anything the rest of the day.

A partridge in a pear tree indeed !
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 06:12 PM

Surfermom, OGF - I take my hat off to the pair of you and your commitment to your exercise. You are both putting me to shame as the token 'youngster' of our trio (my sincere apologies, Surfermom, if you're younger than me. Oops!)

My lack of input on here isn't because I can't be bothered to post, it's rather because I haven't been doing anything - can't be bothered to train, the preferred excuse. I did do about a week's worth of sessions recently, posted on here, but they fell to the wayside.

But I mustn't diss myself too much. True, I'm finding it much more pleasant to spend my afternoons, and the scant free time I get, indoors out of the cold and pottering around compiling Pink Floyd collections and watching rubbish TV. But I'm also picking the granddaughter up from school when my wife isn't feeling too good, and that is slap bang in the middle of the afternoon, leaving no time to go to the gym. These bloody night shifts!

But again, I then read your posts during the night at work and I feel so very embarrassed and pitiful towards myself that as a young-ish 50-something who has trained all his life to suddenly become a bit of a slouch. But again, the problem of my knees is really annoying me at the moment; I can't even climb the stairs without pain and when I see the doctor this coming Saturday morning I will be pressing for some kind of 'operation' to get me relatively back to my old self. Training all my adult years this is not easy to cope with, it's getting me down and I'm feeling rather depressed about it now. It's a wrench to stay positive when catch-22 is dominant in my scheme of things.

But hey ho, there are worse off and all is not lost. I've decided to use the Christmas break as a thorough and determined effort to get back to fitness. I'll work out a new programme at the weekend which will see me change my routine from the old 'gaining strength' (which is pointless now anyway - what's it for?), to keeping the weight down and maintaining a good heart rate and one which I will enjoy doing. More high reps and light weights, probably sets of three, three times a week. I'll be using Xmas to hopefully go everyday while I'm off work and get some'form' back on my body to put me in good stead for January's comeback!

Please keep posting your daily reports, it's good motivation for this rapidly-ageing 50-something!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-12-2017, 12:03 AM

Adulthood, what an amazing definition Surfermom, and It's so inspiring to hear of your latest brush with nature, such a brilliant description, as usual, no wonder Floydy misses his routines so much . Wouldn't it be interesting to hear that those snowbirds you observed avoiding the snow and ice were the very ones accompanying me on my outings just a few weeks ago.....

I have in the past trained round an interesting route of thirty miles, comprising three reservoirs in a row in the hills of Derbyshire. One lap of all three comes out at fifteen miles, but while training for a marathon I needed something special and managed two laps. The marathon I was training for was the Robin Hood Marathon in Nottingham and I put in a creditable 3 hours 1 minute and 30 seconds. The training paid off.

Thanks for your training breakdown Surfermom, it will be interesting to hear about your progress and good luck, although I know you won't need it. I've dropped down to six miles in the week and I'm enjoying the extra energy gained through not running myself into the ground......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-12-2017, 10:28 AM

Not a good start to the day today. After waiting until 7:45am for enough light to run the back roads of Yorkshire I stepped out into the rain and progressed along the street. It seemed milder, but stepping on some ice I realised that the rain was falling on to frozen ground. A quick detour on to the road turned out to be the easiest option.

I was now running along a fairly busy road and had to keep to the footpath, but after only a hundred yards, while clinging for my life to a garden wall after almost slipping down on several occasions I decided that common sense was the better part of valor and turned back. The untreated country roads that I would be using would be even worse.

It was almost impossible to stand on the rain soaked ice covered footpaths, and with buses and cars occupying the road I had no choice than to risk the mirror like surface, and disappointedly I made my way home......

Page 90 of 370 « First < 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 190 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top