Join for free
Page 98 of 370 « First < 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

So how did my first eight mile run of 2018 go?

Isaac Newton was wrong when he proclaimed that gravity was a constant, it actually increases with age, I have proof!
I once skimmed effortlessly over any surface at frightening pace, with feet hardly making contact with the ground barely leaving a footstep, looking back, I think I could have possibly run over water without getting my shoes wet (perhaps a tad farfetched) but I danced over boulders and rocks with the light touch of a butterfly.

Fast forward to today, my legs are heavy and the tarmac sucks my feet deep into the quicksand of what seems like a spongy yielding surface. The sun appears low in the sky, but I appear lower on the endless road. My tired legs now churn out mile upon monotonous mile of frost covered byway gradually locking up as my back and buttocks join in the call for rest. I look down at my struggling legs and see loose floppy skin bouncing with every step. Legs that once were firm with muscle bulging from within like some mountain of granite thrusting out of the terrain.
A thick band of fat clings to my waist like a drowning man clinging to a floating log, the product of festive overindulgence and inactivity.

Yes, gravity is the aggressor here as the bags around my eyes droop downward and my chest is now where my belly should be, it destroys my running shoes with its ever increasing pull, and it tampers with my weighing scales making them gradually increase the readings every time I dare to step onto them. I suppose I shouldn’t have expected too much considering my condition as the head cold I’ve persevered with these last few days is still making mischief by blocking my nose, making my eyes run and limiting my energy output. Not to mention the slippery condition of my icey frost covered running surface which caused every other step to be a backward one providing no traction whatsoever!......

So how did my first eight mile run of 2018 go you ask?........
Not too bad actually............Thanks for asking.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 12:35 AM

I would imagine the first run of a New Year was always a difficult one Bob but well done despite your cold
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 12:39 AM

Loving the wordy prose, Bob. I'm thinking you're more exhausted writing all that than the actual run.
Well done on braving the elements that many lesser young folks (such as myself) would quake in our trainers about!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 03:57 AM

OGF, while your legs may have been the victims of gravity, your writing most certainly has anti-gravity properties, lifting the spirits and engaging the rest of us mere mortals.

Haha! You were certainly pulling our legs before reporting a thoroughly respectable run, OGF. When you stand the number of miles you ran today up next to your age, it's extremely impressive. I know exactly how you feel about that skin, it's an appalling, inevitible symptom of this ridiculous aging.

While I know we are only here for a short time, but there is really no reason for evolution to have such a wicked sense of humor, now is there? Can't we slide out of this world looking fit and firm? Regardless, the photos don't lie; you are in excellent shape.

In the pale shadow of OGF's vivid description, I will spare the forum a more mundane report of my own outing except to say that I put five more miles on my own well-worn shoes. Tomorrow is another day!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 04:24 AM

Post your daily exercise routine

Was the question

Mine opening the eyes and getting out of bed. That would be my first exercise. when recovered from exhaustion then get washed and put clothes on, don't fancy running around naked all day.
Next would be going down the stairs, not easy being half asleep still.
The next hour would be lifting a coffee cup and putting it down , mainly for arm exercise you understand.
By now it is midday

So if fine out to the garden to inspect the area making sure everything is ok. Possibly around it it 2/3 times if feeling energetic. So that is the leg movement done.

Then possibly bum exercise by sitting on it until teatime when jaw exercise takes over for the third time that day.

Then it is the reverse of the morning for getting up.
I say tongue in cheek

So as you can see I get plenty of exercise without over doing it

forget all this nonsense

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Post your daily exercise routine

Was the question

Mine opening the eyes and getting out of bed. That would be my first exercise. when recovered from exhaustion then get washed and put clothes on, don't fancy running around naked all day.
Next would be going down the stairs, not easy being half asleep still.
The next hour would be lifting a coffee cup and putting it down , mainly for arm exercise you understand.
By now it is midday

So if fine out to the garden to inspect the area making sure everything is ok. Possibly around it it 2/3 times if feeling energetic. So that is the leg movement done.

Then possibly bum exercise by sitting on it until teatime when jaw exercise takes over for the third time that day.

Then it is the reverse of the morning for getting up.
I say tongue in cheek

So as you can see I get plenty of exercise without over doing it

forget all this nonsense

You haven't quite got the hang of this exercise lark have you, Realspeed?
Each to their own I guess
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 05:38 AM

Realspeed, we are not so far apart when it comes to exercise. For example, I also dress in the morning. It is well known on this exercise thread that in addition to burning a calorie or two, dressing is one of my most noble and consistent forms of public service.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-01-2018, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Realspeed, we are not so far apart when it comes to exercise. For example, I also dress in the morning. It is well known on this exercise thread that in addition to burning a calorie or two, dressing is one of my most noble and consistent forms of public service.
Like your style, Surfermom. I'm somewhat lacking in the tact department
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 08:45 AM

After a family friend a few years ago, who was a fitness fanatic, died at a very early age of his mid 30's, I wonder if or how easy it is to over do it with this fitness thing
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
After a family friend a few years ago, who was a fitness fanatic, died at a very early age of his mid 30's, I wonder if or how easy it is to over do it with this fitness thing
Keeping fit does not guarantee longevity Realspeed, and neither does smoking condemn everyone to a long lingering death of Lung Cancer. My Gran, God rest her soul, smoked 'Roll Up's and Players Navy Cut' all of her life since the age of ten, she finally passed away at the age of 89 while refereeing a kids five a side football match on the local park.......Tragic!

My point is though, life is a lottery, you never know when your number is up.
'Fanaticism' is relative. To the sedate (Like yourself) a fanatic would apply to the runner who turns out for a couple of easy miles three times a week - Perhaps like myself - But to Mo Farrar a fanatic would be someone who trains twice a day seven days a week, covering in excess of a hundred miles per week (I have had friends like this, who either no longer run, or are deceased)....

Without knowing your young chaps medical history it would be impossible to surmise what caused his unfortunate demise, but running for a bus might just as easily turned out the same result for him.

I've never run to keep fit Realspeed. I'm what's called an 'accidental runner' I loved to go out walking on the moors and found that doing a bit of jogging through the week helped me to keep up with my companions at the weekend. But the excitement of running grew inside me like a tumour, and before long I had to choose some new friends who could keep up with me, and I progressed to racing over long distances. At school I was always the last to be picked (together with the fat kid) for any team being that I was the smallest and weakest in the class.
My Mum wrote notes to excuse me from running the cross country because I hated it and always came last.....

Suddenly I found something that I excelled at, running long distances, and runners who I considered my heroes were left in my wake as I ran my way to victory after victory (Well a couple of 8th and tenth places.. I moved on to the marathon and ran thirty six big ones.....
Well you get the idea.....

Now my fitness, speed and distance trickles through my fingers like fine sand and I must accept the inevitable age related deterioration and dodgy ticker, but my resolution and determination is as strong now as it's ever been and I will not give up my gift easily......
There's more......But Mrs Fox grows impatient......

Page 98 of 370 « First < 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top