Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 04:54 PM

A Bad Reaction To Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts

I love Liquorice Allsorts but l haven’t eaten any for a long time. Yesterday, a friend gave me a box of them and l ate some this morning. Next thing, l got the zig zags (Aura) and an awful migraine headache. I took painkillers and had to go to bed as it was so bad. I also became wheezy in my chest.

I looked at the ingredients on the box and was surprised to read that they contain sulphites, a preservative. I can’t understand why manufacturers have to fill sweets with chemicals. I don’t think they did years ago?

I knew eating too much Liquorice can affect your heart but l was surprised to read, it can lower your potassium levels if you take diuretics.
They were also very sickly sweet, so I won’t be eating them again.

Have you ever had a reaction after eating liquorice products or any other confectionary?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:03 PM

Re: A Bad Reaction To Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts

Ouch - that sounds horrid, Artangel. I also love liquorice allsorts but will handle them with care in future. Have Bassett's been taken over by someone who has altered the recipe?

I hope you feel better very soon.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:04 PM

Hi Art, I have never heard of them using Sulphites before, I love Liquorice All Sorts, not had them for years though.

I am allergic to Brazil Nuts, my face, throat and tongue swell right up in a bad way.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Just checked - Bassett's were taken over by Cadbury and subsequently by Mondelēz International in Illinois.

That is them crossed off my sweetie list!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ouch - that sounds horrid, Artangel. I also love liquorice allsorts but will handle them with care in future. Have Bassett's been taken over by someone who has altered the recipe?

Something has changed. I tried them last year after a break of about 30 years and they were horrible.

Plus my face turned pink and my jumper went all stripey.

Joking aside, I hope you are feeling better today Art. I'm not sure what the 'Zigzags' are but it doesn't sound nice.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Thank You, ST. I am fine now the headache has eased.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

10-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi Art, I have never heard of them using Sulphites before, I love Liquorice All Sorts, not had them for years though.

I am allergic to Brazil Nuts, my face, throat and tongue swell right up in a bad way.
Susie, I hadn’t either until l looked at the ingredients on the box. I thought sulphites were mainly added to wine, not sweets!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Something has changed. I tried them last year after a break of about 30 years and they were horrible.

Plus my face turned pink and my jumper went all stripey.

Joking aside, I hope you are feeling better today Art. I'm not sure what the 'Zigzags' are but it doesn't sound nice.
ZZs are flashing lights in the eyes to signal the onset of a migraine. I once had something like that years ago, so took paracetamol and went to bed, closing my eyes till it went off. I don’t suffer migraines as a rule.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

10-10-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
ZZs are flashing lights in the eyes to signal the onset of a migraine. I once had something like that years ago, so took paracetamol and went to bed, closing my eyes till it went off. I don’t suffer migraines as a rule.
Jazzi, l haven’t had the zig zags migraine for ages but when l read they were contained in the liquorice allsorts, l knew what had caused it.

I didn’t think to read the box before l ate them as l never dreamt they would contain sulphites.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:19 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the recipe had changed .....

Bassett's merged with Maynards in 1990 then they were acquired by Cadbury (owned by Mondeley International (formerly Kraft) in 1998 and production was "rationalised" in Sheffield in 2002 to cater for a booming world market - I'd guess some countries have different preservative requirements .....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top