Join for free
Page 11 of 25 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Re: Blue passports? They say we could have had them all along...

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
i don't understand why the rest of europe are considered our allies. Since we joined the eu, they have all made it quite clear that they want nothing to do with us, we are always last on the list when it come to benefits and first on the list when it comes to paying for them.

Our only true ally is the us and for some reason we are doing our very best to piss them off at the moment.

I should add, though, that despite the actions of the EU I do not regard other Europeans - at least the ordinary people - as my enemies. In fact, as I have said before, we go on holiday to European countries and enjoy experiencing other European cultures and people, the majority of whom we find friendly and polite.

After we have left the EU, I fully expect that relationship to continue, despite all the rantings and ravings of our remainiacs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I should add, though, that despite the actions of the EU I do not regard other Europeans - at least the ordinary people - as my enemies. In fact, as I have said before, we go on holiday to European countries and enjoy experiencing other European cultures and people, the majority of whom we find friendly and polite.

After we have left the EU, I fully expect that relationship to continue, despite all the rantings and ravings of our remainiacs.
Me neither, I have enjoyed meeting many Europeans over the years although the French can be a little unfriendly. I don't think anyone voted to leave the European people, just the EU commission. I suspect that most Europeans feel the same.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Me neither, I have enjoyed meeting many Europeans over the years although the French can be a little unfriendly. I don't think anyone voted to leave the European people, just the EU commission. I suspect that most Europeans feel the same.
Yes, and I fully expect that after we have left and shown the world that it is possible to do so and yet thrive, others will follow.

The EU's days are numbered.

When that day dawns, I shall be very interested to see what the whingers find to complain about next.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As indeed the EU is like a religion to the remainers?
The EU isn't a religion for anyone. It certainly needs reforming. But Brexit is like some sort of holy grail for many. They seem to think it will bring us utopia and any criticism being considered unpatriotic is simply hilarious.

I'm sure that the same attitude prevailed during the October Revolution. We even have had "enemy of the state" headlines. It would be a joke were it not so tragic that people are too blinkered by the media to see that this is not what it seems.

We are being treated like idiots by our own politicians. The same politicians who could not be bothered to gain influence in the EU instead of being on the outside despite our massive contribution as one of the big three. So instead let's run away and pretend this is all a great idea.

And the arrogance of stating that it is better to stay and fight for what is right... is that not arrogance also, stating that every brexiteer is wrong?
Nope that's basically a fact. Because as with this debate about passports it proves we have been digesting fake news. Just like the £350m, just like the immigration debate. None of it was down to the EU. How is stating the truth of the matter instead of fake headlines arrogance?

The EU is not all about economics and a free travel area, it is about the subjigation of millions of people by an arrogant elite, hell bent on maintaining their own power and lavish lifestyles by constructing an all powerful federal state, and personally I did not want that either for me, my children or my country.
I really don't see the difference between what you have stated and the elected government we have today. Maybe you could explain how we won't have an elite that subjugates millions of people and has lavish lifestyles after brexit? I don't see how we will be any more free than we are under the EU. But I can see us all being poorer and more subjugated for a good few years.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The EU isn't a religion for anyone. It certainly needs reforming. But Brexit is like some sort of holy grail for many. They seem to think it will bring us utopia and any criticism being considered unpatriotic is simply hilarious.

I'm sure that the same attitude prevailed during the October Revolution. We even have had "enemy of the state" headlines. It would be a joke were it not so tragic that people are too blinkered by the media to see that this is not what it seems.

We are being treated like idiots by our own politicians. The same politicians who could not be bothered to gain influence in the EU instead of being on the outside despite our massive contribution as one of the big three. So instead let's run away and pretend this is all a great idea.

Nope that's basically a fact. Because as with this debate about passports it proves we have been digesting fake news. Just like the £350m, just like the immigration debate. None of it was down to the EU. How is stating the truth of the matter instead of fake headlines arrogance?

I really don't see the difference between what you have stated and the elected government we have today. Maybe you could explain how we won't have an elite that subjugates millions of people and has lavish lifestyles after brexit? I don't see how we will be any more free than we are under the EU. But I can see us all being poorer and more subjugated for a good few years.
You beat me to it there, with your last paragraph.
They will still maintain that it will all be milk and honey from now on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

For many of us brexit is merely first step on the road, the lords next then reform of the commons. We need a proper democracy not the mess we have now where a person having one vote is considered undemocratic, and where repeated votes are asked for until they get the answer they wanted in the first place.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
For many of us brexit is merely first step on the road, the lords next then reform of the commons. We need a proper democracy not the mess we have now where a person having one vote is considered undemocratic, and where repeated votes are asked for until they get the answer they wanted in the first place.
I guess I don't remember any of that being on the ballot paper either. We could have done all that without the expense and excruciating pain of leaving the EU.

But IMO there is no such thing as a proper democracy anywhere in the world. There are always people at the bottom of the pile in any system being mistreated, misunderstood, trod on. There is always an elite at the top feeding off the cream. How far that goes into corruption depends on how robust and transparent the legal system is.
The same happened in the soviet bloc, the same happened in Mao's China. All started as passionate movements for freedom of the poor and oppressed.

There is no utopia, there simply is a balance between meeting dreams and aspirations with an acceptable reality. We don't have that now because of the 2008 financial crisis. We have had it at times in the last 50 years, but balance is not a permanent state so any prosperity will always be a temporary situation until the next economic, technological, political challenge.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Hi

Our success in the future will be determined by our Politicians, their skill in managing the economy and carrying out the many reforms we need.

I am not particularly encouraged by either Party at the moment.

As regards the EU and them giving us a bad deal.

We will get what we get, we are now a third country, our choice.

They will not give us any more than Canada, South Korea or Japan got.

Our aim of getting Canada Plus Plus Plus is sheer nonsense.

There is a simple reason for this. all three Trade Deals above have clauses in them, if they allow us access to their service markets they will have to do the same to the others, which they simply will not do.

It would be madness for them to do so.

We will not allow open access to all our services either, it would be madness for us to do so as well.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Our success in the future will be determined by our Politicians, their skill in managing the economy and carrying out the many reforms we need.

I am not particularly encouraged by either Party at the moment.

As regards the EU and them giving us a bad deal.

We will get what we get, we are now a third country, our choice.

They will not give us any more than Canada, South Korea or Japan got.

Our aim of getting Canada Plus Plus Plus is sheer nonsense.

There is a simple reason for this. all three Trade Deals above have clauses in them, if they allow us access to their service markets they will have to do the same to the others, which they simply will not do.

It would be madness for them to do so.

We will not allow open access to all our services either, it would be madness for us to do so as well.
So nothing because we have basically bankrolled them for years, strange I had thought that might have scored some points for us, also how we leapt to help many when the wars started, we haven't asked for much for that IMO
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 04:24 PM

We have not bankrolled anybody though.

Page 11 of 25 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top