Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Re: Panasonic DMR-BWT850 BD/DVD recorder problem

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There are, of course, very many trash channels now on Freeview, that whenever I do a retune I have to manually go through the resulting list un-ticking the additional rubbish that appears.
Thankfully I don't have that issue on my super MiracleBox. A scan of channels just creates a list in a separate place. From there I can choose which ones to move into my personal channel list(s).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Re: Panasonic DMR-BWT850 BD/DVD recorder problem

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Realist I never realised that about padding .
Really ???

Important stuff really.

PVRs/Digi boxes DO NOT initiate recording based on the name of the programme.

Your searches DO go by programme name. Whether they are single searches or series link searches. However once those searches have returned a number of results, the Digi box then translates them into simple TIMERS.

A TIMER is simply the basic info needed to record a programme which at heart is:

Channel Number
Start Time
End Time

So note that the timer has no idea what it is recording. It's just going to record that channel at those times whatever happens to be broadcast. Thus if you were recording say VERA but there's an important football or snooker match on before it which is going on longer than planned, then the Digibox has no clue about this. It's still going to record your selected channel at the specific time set up, so your recording will have football at the start of it, then some VERA and doubtless will stop before VERA is finished leaving you fuming!

Quite aside from important sports programmes, it's extremely common for transmitting stations to NOT transmit a programme at the exact time that is in the programme guide. With adverts and other stuff a programme might start 1 or 2 minutes early or late. Similarly a programme might finish 1 or 2 minutes early or late.

Because of that you should always set up a "padding time" for your recordings. This is a setting that any respectable Digi box will have. I add 3 mins to the starting time for all my recordings and about the same at the end.

You just have to remember the impact that this might have when you need to record multiple channels around the same time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top