Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Re: Britain is not a nation of immigrants

Census data shows that in 1851 the UK had a very small foreign born population, with just 100,000 people (1.5% of the population) born overseas. By 1951 this figure had reached 4.3% of the population.

Then, in just ten years from 2001 to 2011, the foreign born population of England and Wales increased by nearly three million to 7.5 million or from 9% to 13% of the population.

Source migration watch
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:09 PM

It doesn't matter where people have come from if they are a benefit to our society and not a drain.
We are dependent on immigrant labour for the NHS, fruit and vegetable picking, staffing care homes. Why? Because our own home grown British population are unwilling to do those jobs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Census data shows that in 1851 the UK had a very small foreign born population, with just 100,000 people (1.5% of the population) born overseas. By 1951 this figure had reached 4.3% of the population.

Then, in just ten years from 2001 to 2011, the foreign born population of England and Wales increased by nearly three million to 7.5 million or from 9% to 13% of the population.

Source migration watch
2001 - 4.5 million - 9%
2011 - 7.5 million - 13%

That's scary.

3 million more every ten years, but a great deal more if the numbers increase exponentially, as they have been doing.

At least 21% in 20 years, and probably much higher.

It won't be a great deal longer before the percentage exceeds 50%.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
It doesn't matter where people have come from if they are a benefit to our society and not a drain.
We are dependent on immigrant labour for the NHS, fruit and vegetable picking, staffing care homes. Why? Because our own home grown British population are unwilling to do those jobs.
Yes if they are of benefit
But even at the peak of arrivals, medical staff were never more than 5% of immigration. The reason they were needed is that we have failed to train our own staff.
Other countries in Europe have only 5% (Italy), 10.5% (Germany) and 15% (France) of foreign qualified doctors, while the UK has 35% .
I don't understand why we need people to pick vegetables we never used too what has changed ?
Besides this is seasonal visas could be given for seasonal work .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
Hi

We should not be dependant on any foreign staff for the NHS, we should be training our own.

They should be trained for free, not charged, but then have to work a fixed number of years before they leave the NHS.

Fruit and vegetable picking relies on immigrant transient labour, that is the nature of the beast.

We have had seasonal workers for that for many years, they come and go, very few stay permanently here.

I would agree about other agricultural jobs and care staff, there is no reason these jobs could not be done by our own, we simply do not want to do them.

Agricultural work is hard and no fixed hours,it depends on the weather,not weekends off at planting or harvest time,you work until the job is finished.

Cows need milking 365 days a year, livestock feeding,again not to our tastes.

Meat packers get NMW plus bonus for how many they do, good ones get between £600 and £800 a week.

We are importing Eastern European HGV Drivers, locally £16 to £18 an hour,our own unemployed cannot afford to be trained because we charge so much.

The entire system needs to be changed,but no sign of it happening.

The Unions have been trying to get into the big food plants around here, absolute dinosaurs they are.

They are promising every Bank Holiday off, yea,right, shut the plants down,takes days to start them up again,the workers lose out.

All the workers get the same number of holidays,just not on the same day.

It is not surprising they have been told to get lost.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
And that from someone who lives in a country that is ten times bigger than the UK and a tenth of the population of the UK.
Agreed. This image shows the UK in relation to Australia.

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes if they are of benefit
But even at the peak of arrivals, medical staff were never more than 5% of immigration. The reason they were needed is that we have failed to train our own staff.
Other countries in Europe have only 5% (Italy), 10.5% (Germany) and 15% (France) of foreign qualified doctors, while the UK has 35% .
I don't understand why we need people to pick vegetables we never used too what has changed ?
Besides this is seasonal visas could be given for seasonal work .
Hi

We have always had seasonal workers Muddy.

Sheep shearers are a prime example.

Farms have become far more mechanised,far fewer farm Workers, so at peak times, we need the labour.

Brendan,my ex son in law, we are still on the best of terms,has a huge £600,000 one pass machine which can do in one day what it used to take 4men a week to do.

He still needs extra manpower at busy times.

He is not happy at the moment that I am not driving, I normally deliver his fuel and bits and pieces at planting time,which is coming up soon, the machine will be working 24/7 and at harvest I drive a Tractor and trailer for him.

It is the same at sillage time,it has to be chopped at a certain water content.

Seasonal Permits are the way forward,the EU Workers have no issue with that,they come and go.

Our busy times do not coincide with theirs, they come, work and then go back to their own farms,most commonly via Germany,it suits them.

It is the same with Zac and Derek, the two who stay at my house.

They live in Poland, their partners and children are there.

They have a very successful business here, they come,pay tax and NI,do not claim any benefits,sell the Spacesaver Wheels here, load up with spares and disappear back off home.

They pay Tax in Poland on what they export from here.

I pay full Council Tax, do not claim the 25% Discount for Single Occupancy even though they are not here a lot.

They pay rent and tax on their Industrial Unit.

I do however use the Rent a Room Scheme, so anything up to £7,500 a year is Tax Free.

This is because I do, from time to time,when asked,take in,short term,foreign NHS staff whilst they find somewhere to live.

I find it amazing, and utterly stupid, when we blame the EU for our own shortcomings.

I found it incredibly frustrating, when I was working,to have to release Illegals,to disappear again.

To those of you who think the Brexiteers are our salvation, I would point out one thing.

Boris is on public record that we should give them an amnesty.

He can get stuffed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Agreed. This image shows the UK in relation to Australia.

And if the UK was positioned where the picture placed it it would be hard pressed to support a population of a few 10s of thousands. That is mostly desert.

But we are not the ones complaining about our immigrants. 25% of our population was born overseas yet you are complaining about 15% born overseas?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
And if the UK was positioned where the picture placed it it would be hard pressed to support a population of a few 10s of thousands. That is mostly desert.

But we are not the ones complaining about our immigrants. 25% of our population was born overseas yet you are complaining about 15% born overseas?

Bruce we have a growing problem with water down here in south east of the country. I was reading the other day we are near a point of not being able to guarantee supplies everyday for our large population.

It's not just about space our utilities can't stretch much further.

We are in danger of tipping over the edge of viable population in south east, I don't think for some utilities it's much better south west either.

In principle I'd take every needy person in the world but we just can't cope I think the number that will make south east untenable as a living area is about 75/80 million.

We need to live far below that figure for NHS and electric etc.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

My brother law was a £10 Pom

Went there in 1967 with his male partner.

Estimate is in the UK 1 million illeagles...last year 68k were deported.

We don't have your luckry of having a off shore concencration camp we can put them in.

SORRY spell checker not working again

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top