Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 04:53 AM

What a Bugger! - 32bit/64bit

I am a creature of habit; I have been using a piece of software called JASC Paint Shop Pro 6 and I think it dates back to about 1999. It is a simple photo editing program which I use for jobs where I don't need the sophistication of, say, GIMP.

Anyway, one of the uses I put it to was to operate my flat bed scanner, again a fairly old model CanoScan 8800F they worked well together so there was no need to update anything until...

I bought a new document scanner a few weeks ago. This scanner has a feeder and can scan both sides of a document very quickly and in bulk - obviously a big advantage over my flatbed scanner.

Installed the software, driver etc for the new device and suddenly my flatbed scanner no longer worked!

To cut a long story short - there were several problems, this computer is a 64bit model, the new scanner used a 64bit driver. the JASC program was 32 bit as was the old scanner driver.

Installed new 64bit driver for the old scanner but it still didn't work with the old program yet it worked with GIMP.

Ended up having to install Irfanview which works with both scanners including using bulk scanning. Now have to learn to use this new software (doesn't look too complex) and will sadly have to say goodbye to my old, faithful Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

BTW Jasc Paint Shop Pro was bought out by Corel and is still available after many iterations as Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Meanwhile the old Jasc versions (up to about v10) were shareware but are now abandonware they still work and the upgrade nags disappear after the 30 day trial period.

One of the advantages of the old flatbed scanner is that it will also scan 35mm slides and negatives:

The new is purely a document and photo scanner:

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Re: What a Bugger! - 32bit/64bit

I feel your pain Bruce.
I've been using paint shop pro 5 ever since my Amiga computer packed up at the start of the new millenium. During the time I was still using my Amiga, I used a paint programme called 'Deluxe Paint' and I have yet to find an alternative programme that could do as much and with so much versatility. Still, I settled on Paint Shop Pro and it came a close second.

To this day I do all of my drawings using Paint Shop Pro, from Electronics to Property drawings and some photo editing. Having used it for so long I know my around it like the back of my hand (although doing Animation seems to have beaten me thus far) and drawings can be completed in double quick time. I prefer spending my time on the computer actually 'doing' than trying to acquaint myself with some new complex software, so I shall continue to use it for as long as I can.

You are very lucky to have been able to purchase a stand alone scanner Bruce...
I prefer to keep my equipment as 'Separates' but when my printer gave up the ghost last year I had to purchase a Printer, Scanner and Copier, stand alone printers are as rare as hens teeth! I've always used a flatbed CanoScan LiDE 700F and it's so versatile .
So I'm delighted with my new Canon MG4250 Fine, it prints beautifully, and the copier is marvellous, but I'm afraid that with the lack of adjustment on the scanner, it falls a long way short of my Flatbed Scanner. And when the overworked printer packs up, the whole lot will be surplus to requirement!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

To this day I do all of my drawings using Paint Shop Pro, from Electronics to Property drawings and some photo editing. Having used it for so long I know my around it like the back of my hand (although doing Animation seems to have beaten me thus far) and drawings can be completed in double quick time. I prefer spending my time on the computer actually 'doing' than trying to acquaint myself with some new complex software, so I shall continue to use it for as long as I can.

You are very lucky to have been able to purchase a stand alone scanner Bruce...
I prefer to keep my equipment as 'Separates' but when my printer gave up the ghost last year I had to purchase a Printer, Scanner and Copier, stand alone printers are as rare as hens teeth! I've always used a flatbed CanoScan LiDE 700F and it's so versatile .
So I'm delighted with my new Canon MG4250 Fine, it prints beautifully, and the copier is marvellous, but I'm afraid that with the lack of adjustment on the scanner, it falls a long way short of my Flatbed Scanner. And when the overworked printer packs up, the whole lot will be surplus to requirement!
Scanners are pretty cheap these days as are colour laser printers I have a Fuji Xerox which gives pretty good results even of photos on plain paper but I don't think they come with a scanner unless you buy the photocopier version.

I have an older Canon inkjet printer near my feet it used to print on DVDs as well as paper and envelopes which was handy in its day but I don't think I have used it for several years.

To be honest I have never thought of using PaintShop Pro to do drawings because I have always used M$ Powerpoint - you used to be able to download 'packs' of electrical symbols - no idea if you still can. The only thing else I draw these days are hall layouts for concerts or lunches which are really just rectangles of course and which Powerpoint does very well.

They're a bit simplistic but they were all I could find in a hurry. The intercom is just something I set up many years (nearly 20 years?) ago down to my shed so my now ex could call me without having to walk down

I haven't tried the LibreOffice presentation equivalent but I would imagine it is very similar.

I am glad that there is someone else besotted with reliable old software.

When this problem first appeared after I installed the new scanner I contacted Canon customer service to get a solution from them, they took ages to even reply and still didn't solve the problem after a lot of continuing irrelevant questions such as serial numbers - to be honest they were totally useless I ended up solving it myself.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intercom Diagram.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	5350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heininger Hall Meeting Set up.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	5351  
Canadian (sorry)
New Member!
Ontario, Canada
Canadian (sorry) is male 

07-03-2018, 03:40 PM

I used to use PaintShopPro buut now use Paint.Net - it is as simple to use as PSP was IMHO and does the same sort of basic tasks that I used PSP for (lots of other stuff I don't use) and is free and updated regularly. I have not tried it with a scanner.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 09:30 PM

One of the electronics drawings I did on Paint Shop Pro Bruce.
I tend to leave them in PSP files because when you change them to Jpegs to view on here they get attacked by random pixels......

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 11:35 PM

@Bruce

There's a scanning package called VueScan which supports both of your Canon scanners. Might be worth a look. Not free though.

https://www.hamrick.com/

Supported Scanners
https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/cano...canner-drivers
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-03-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
@Bruce

There's a scanning package called VueScan which supports both of your Canon scanners. Might be worth a look. Not free though.

https://www.hamrick.com/

Supported Scanners
https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/cano...canner-drivers
Thanks but Irfanview works fine and it is free.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top