Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Re: Autonomous vehicle

I'm not sure that Uber withdrawing from the experiment will mean an end of it. There are a number of other companies working on it, Google for one. Eventually any problems will be sorted out and we'll all be using them.

Speaking of this particular incident tragic though it is, there is no evidence I've seen as to the cause whether that was the car itself or the pedestrian. Until that's established it can't be confirmed that self driven cars are unsafe.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Hi

My understanding of the incident was that whilst the car was in autonomous mode, it also had a driver who could have taken control.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:45 PM

The boffins have had some ridiculous ideas in the past but driverless cars tops the lot.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The boffins have had some ridiculous ideas in the past but driverless cars tops the lot.
Agreed. Technology is fine until it goes wrong, as all too often it does. Look how much bother SAT NAVs have caused some people, some have even driven into rivers, CRAZY OR WHAT?
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My understanding of the incident was that whilst the car was in autonomous mode, it also had a driver who could have taken control.
You have to wonder what the driver was thinking of then. was he asleep.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK

20-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Agreed. Technology is fine until it goes wrong, as all too often it does. Look how much bother SAT NAVs have caused some people, some have even driven into rivers, CRAZY OR WHAT?
At least it will never be found guilty of drunken diving or driving under the influence of drug etc. I think there are many instance where they would reduce accidents. we humans have enough already and if it helps reduce road deaths then it will be a good move, if of course they can get the technology to work safely.

With regard to Sat Navs its more often the driver than the technology which is at fault.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 05:45 PM

I would never get into a car without a driver. Someone told me today that they are looking to pilotless planes in the future... I won't ever get on a plane if that happens!
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK

20-03-2018, 07:59 PM

What do you think happens when they put it on autopilot? Most civil aircraft spend more time on being flown by autopilot than actually being piloted. Barring emergencies, course changes and takeoff and landing
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
What do you think happens when they put it on autopilot? Most civil aircraft spend more time on being flown by autopilot than actually being piloted. Barring emergencies, course changes and takeoff and landing
Yes but there is are humans to back it up if the autopilot should fail. I'm scared of flying and there are pilots, I would be doubly scared if no human pilots!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:41 PM

It has been reported by police, that the car was speeding and failed to slow down. Neither the driver or pedestrian were impaired so both were aware of each other. The woman was pushing her bicycle across the road.

On our local news now it looks like these tests will continue as
experts feel they will reduce accidents in the future.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top