Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Calorie counting

Just noticed Betty's new treat bones have a calorie count on the side, actually all sides of the pack. Are we supposed to be calorie counting for them now too ?

I've always just looked at size of their bodies to work out a portion and if it's too much give them less next time.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Re: Calorie counting

It does seem a bit silly really, how the heck are we supposed to know how many calories they're supposed to have?

Maybe it's one of those silly laws whereby pet food has to be up to human standards including calorie counts?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:11 PM

Well I don't know about counting calories for pets, but some owners do need to get a grip. There are so many fat pets out there

I was always taught that you should be able to feel ribs on a dog and see a well defined waist when viewing from above

I don't have a clue about cats so Arther gets weighed every month and food adjusted as needed
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:29 PM

I'm happy seeing a waist and feeling ribs you are right some people have very overweight dogs. I take mine every three months to weigh them at the vet if they are happy with them I am. Vet doesn't charge for weighing either and it's easier than balancing Betty on the kitchen scales of trying to get on bathroom scales with a Labrador in your arms
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Well I don't know about counting calories for pets, but some owners do need to get a grip. There are so many fat pets out there

I was always taught that you should be able to feel ribs on a dog and see a well defined waist when viewing from above

I don't have a clue about cats so Arther gets weighed every month and food adjusted as needed
Yeah, the feeling the ribs and defined waist is how I judge Bailies weight. Being a Lab she tends to put weight on easily, I just bulk her out with Tesco Value frozen mixed veg, she loves it!

And yes, there are far too many fat dogs around, some owners kill them with kindness I think
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 02:43 PM

I say, just cut down on the treats for them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top