Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Re: Toxic to Animals

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Gosh just about everything in the garden is toxic.
Yes, I suppose that's why garden centres are reluctant to state it on their labels.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:44 PM

It's probably useful for puppies but I have half these plants in our garden and I haven't had any problems. In fact the squirrel chewed up half the tulips yesterday so I hope it had an allergic reaction!

Anyway I've never seen pets anywhere near the peonies or the two mature oleander pots. As for the hydrangea I have several and no interest has been shown. Cyclamen have always been there in autumn but nothing of note to declare. So I just think a lot of these plants must smell pretty bad to cats and dogs.

Nb a close friend put me off having lilies for years after getting cats but after people started getting them for us I couldn't really throw them out. But the cats don't touch them so I have given up worrying about it. Many animals are smarter than we think.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:55 PM

Lilies are notoriusly bad around cats Annie, even the pollen.
If they rub around the plants and that organgy-dust gets on their coats, they will be very ill if they lick their fur.

This article explains it better than me:

All parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats, and consuming even small amounts can cause severe poisoning. Kittens are particularly prone to being poisoned as they explore their environment, and older cats are often affected simply because they brush against the flower and get pollen on their coats. Later they groom the pollen off, and of course ingest the lily pollen as they clean their fur.
Symptoms and Treatment
The primary toxic effects are on the kidneys. Within minutes to hours of ingesting part of the lily plant, your cat may vomit, become lethargic, or develop a lack of appetite. As the toxin begins to affect the kidneys, these signs continue and worsen as the kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat may develop kidney failure in approximately 36-72 hours.
If you see a cat eating lilies, contact a veterinarian immediately. If emergency treatment is begun within 6 hours of consumption, the chances are good that the cat will recover. This generally consists of emptying the gastrointestinal tract of the affected cat and intravenous fluid therapy in a hospital setting. If more than 18 hours has elapsed, and the kidneys have been severely affected, your cat may not survive, even with emergency care.
The treatment generally consists of hospitalization and intravenous fluids. Your vet may also give your cat medication to control nausea and vomiting. Home care will not result in full recovery.

Prevention Unfortunately the only way to prevent your cat from eating lilies, and to ensure they're don't suffer any of these effects is simply not to have lily plants in your home.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:04 AM

Hi Mups yes my friend pointed that out & she used to cut the stamens out. But our cats are fine and I've stopped worrying about it. I have worked out that most cats are pretty smart.

Dogs are not so smart but they do get smarter as they grow up. Plus they cannot get up on a table.

I think it's a little bit like humans ingesting flowers that don't taste too good. We may do it as toddlers but as adults we would avoid licking stuff that is weird tasting. So I think caution is necessary when pets are in their infancy.

So I don't bother worrying about these things because at the end of the day I cannot stop our cats going into gardens that have toxic plants. Banning them from my dining table isn't going to be much risk reduction if the neighbours have a bedding plot covered in them .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:10 AM

It is not necessarily a case of cats eating lilies though Annie, it's also if they happen to brush past them and get the pollen on their coats accidentally.
I haven't got any cats, but I think I'd not have lilies around if I did, just incase.

My little Gertie was/still is, a pain for chewing or pinching things. She is always collecting leaves, twigs, buds and blooms, plant labels etc if I don't watch her. As I said earlier, she had to have out of hours treatment for digging up and eating bulbs. She's a pain in the bum for things like that.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Thank you, Mups for this list... I had no idea that there were that many plants, seeds and roots, toxic to dogs...
Neither did I, good thread Mups.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top