Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 10:11 PM

2 Doggy Treats You May Enjoy Making.

Hi everyone, Been busy baking today, not for us, but my two little boys. I found this first recipe for Liver Cake Treat for your Dog online, and as I was already in the process of making Ginger Biscuits for them -ready for our travels (they do not travel well) I thought I would have a go at these as well. I have put two photos of the professional way they should look. LOL. mine didn't come out half so polished but looked the same.The first photo is the Gingerbread and the other is the Liver Cake.
The recipe does point out that although this is a high-value treat and dogs absolutely love it, it should only be given in small quantities as part of a balanced diet and is not suitable for dogs under 6 months old.

Okay, I thought, I had just bought some Lamb’s Liver for their once a week meal, so decided to bake these instead as they can be frozen and kept for a long time. Here it is below if anyone hasn’t tried it before and wishes to do so.
I have to confess that as my two boys are only small - I personally cut this recipe in half using instead - 1/2 lb of Lambs Liver, 1/2 lb of S.R. Flour and to cut the 3 eggs in half - with the third egg I beat it in a bowl, measured it out into another bowl by the tablespoon and then just used half of what was there. Easy Peasy! LOL.

LIVER CAKE
1lb (450g) of Lamb or Ox Liver
1lb (450g) of Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs
Milk or Water.

METHOD
Crack the eggs into a measuring jug.
Add the same volume in Milk or Water
Blend the Liver in a food processor
Add the egg mixture and blend to a sponge mixture consistency.
Empty contents into a greased baking Traybake at 180C - 350F - Gas 4 for 35-45 minutes
Allow to cool and cut into 12 pieces and freeze them.

I will give you the recipe I use for my Ginger Biscuits too if you wish to try them.

DOGGY FRIENDLY GINGERBREAD TREATS.

12 ounces (339g) Whole Wheat Flour
2 tablespoons of Ground Ginger
1 level teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon (no more than that)
4 fluid ounces (125ml) Runny Honey
4 fluid ounces (125ml) of Warm Water
2 fluid ounces (50ml) Olive Oil.

Preheat oven to 160C - 325F - Gas 3

In a large bowl, combine the flour, ground cinnamon and ground ginger.
In a small bowl mix the Honey, Water and Olive Oil with a sturdy spoon.
Pour the mixture into the Flour.
Using the same spoon, mix together until thoroughly combined.
Roll out the dough to about ½ inch thickness.
Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter or whatever you normally use.
Lightly grease a baking tray with oil/margarine or even better a non-stick spray.
Place your cut-outs on to the baking tray.
Continue to roll and cut out shapes with remaining dough.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Cool completely on a wire rack.

I used a 2-inch cookie cooker and it made 28.
These Gingerbread treats will freeze for up to 6 months.

Off to bed now. Night everyone.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	gingerbread.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	5745   Click image for larger version

Name:	liver-cake-280-x-241 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	5746  
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Re: 2 Doggy Treats You May Enjoy Making.

SG, for the liver cake, when do you add the flour, and to what other ingredient? You missed it out, lol.

I will be looking at recipes for dog treats in future, now my own little girl is getting older, and above the six months period.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:35 AM

SG, now lets be totally honest here

You may not enjoy making the liver cake

Your dogs are going to love you forever making it for them, but as some one who has made this a lot in the past - a word of warning/advice

Have a very strong stomach
Make it on a nice day so that you can open all the doors and windows to your property and preferably make it when home alone

IT STINKS

Jazzi, blitz the liver in a liquidiser or processor till you have liver liquid, then add everything else and blitz till blended, its that easy

But seriously you need a strong stomach

I always used to cut it up tiny and then dry it out in the oven so it was like Jerky and never went off. Great as a recall treat
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:51 AM

Very similar to the recipe I already use for liver cake but I add garlic and I use a little yogurt in place of one of the eggs occasionally, makes a softer treat I find.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Oh for goodness sake! What am I like? Sorry Jazzi, I added the flour with the egg mixture. Put it down to me typing this so late last night that I needed matchsticks to keep my eyes open.

Missie, Honestly, it didn't bother me at all doing the Liver Cake. It was the first time I had done it and I didn't find it offensive. okay, it wasn't the nicest of aromas but I had the back door open and two pairs of eyes looking up at me whilst I was doing it didn't seem to mind the smell! LOL. It was a bit messy but I was so intent on it coming out right that I just got on with it. I must agree with you that in the original recipe it said to use Cloves rather than Garlic but as I didn't have any, I left it out and didn't feel it was fair to add it on here as I didn't use any. It also said to be very careful with the Cinnamon and not to put any more than a teaspoon as more than that could cause mouth blisters. That's why I put (no more than that).

I actually enjoyed making home-made treats for the boys because I know exactly what is in them. Once these have gone I will have a look online for other treats that are easy (especially for me) to do. If anyone has any, would you please share them on here.

Thanks for pointing the error out in the method, Jazzi, and thanks for your post too. Missy. It sounds as though you are an expert at home-made treats. I wish I had tried them years ago. Just never thought about it, to be honest. Julie, that sounds a good idea to use yoghurt. xx
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Btw if you really want a stink make tripe strips, cut strips of tripe and bake them very gently until they are dried. Our girls love them but the smell is enough to curl your nose hair !
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 02:28 PM

Lol Julie

My Gunnar loved tripe and melts which I used to microwave

One time I put it in too long and it exploded and omg the stench

He also like twizzles which are bulls penises. The smell of those were heave inducing lol
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Pizzles we call them, I always carry a couple in a sealed bag in my hand bag they are very good to catch a run away dog with, I've never found a dog that can resist them.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 05:33 PM

Thank you shropshiregirl. I enjoy making special treats for my girls BUT I think I’ll take Missy’s advice since I don’t have a strong stomach.
Originally Posted by Missy ->
SG, now lets be totally honest here

You may not enjoy making the liver cake

Your dogs are going to love you forever making it for them, but as some one who has made this a lot in the past - a word of warning/advice

Have a very strong stomach
Make it on a nice day so that you can open all the doors and windows to your property and preferably make it when home alone

IT STINKS

Jazzi, blitz the liver in a liquidiser or processor till you have liver liquid, then add everything else and blitz till blended, its that easy

But seriously you need a strong stomach

I always used to cut it up tiny and then dry it out in the oven so it was like Jerky and never went off. Great as a recall treat
Thank you sooooo much. I mighta
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Our puppy class trainers were talking about tripe, being irresistible.

My little un loves the liver flavour treats from Harrington’s.

But talking of stink...I buy the Pets at Home AVA food, both dried and tinned. The latter can be found on shelf at £1.59/tin, chicken flavour. To buy a pack of four online, there is a deal of two packs for £9. So making it £1.12 a can.

BUT. It is 2 x chicken, and 2 x lamb. Have any of you ever visited the buffalo house at London Zoo? Well it smells like that. It. Is. Gross!

The chicken is non smelling, so to speak. But she loves them both.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top