Join for free
Page 15 of 24 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 11:18 AM

Re: The Windrush Debacle

Glad to see that Lenny Henry has got involved.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Perhaps you would like to tell us how MANY people have been “chucked out” Annie? People are getting hysterical about this and imagining that everyone who came here in the 50s -70s is getting thrown out. That is completely wrong. Most people who came here from the West Indies have had no problems whatsoever and have travelled around the world and re-entered the country countless times because their paperwork was in order. We are talking about a very small minority here who did not take up the chance (or their parents didnt) to get the correct ID when it was offered.
We don't have data for 2017 yet. In 2016 39k have either been removed or left voluntarily following the initiation of the process. The highest proportion were from India. (source : Migration observatory)

It's impossible to find out how many are being questioned and denied services. But my comments in respect of the EU relate to what could happen after 2019.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We don't have data for 2017 yet. In 2016 39k have either been removed or left voluntarily following the initiation of the process. The highest proportion were from India. (source : Migration observatory)

It's impossible to find out how many are being questioned and denied services. But my comments in respect of the EU relate to what could happen after 2019.
I meant how many people were deported back to the West Indies as that was what we were discussing. the figures you are giving are for illegal immigrants or people who have outstayed their visas. The Windrush people came here legally.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 01:51 PM

I meant how many people were deported back to the West Indies as that was what we were discussing. the figures you are giving are for illegal immigrants or people who have outstayed their visas. The Windrush people came here legally.

And as I pointed out previously, its not just the Caribbean immigrants that arrived on the 'Windrush', but involves tens of thousands of immigrants from all over Commonwealth. Had you bothered to read the article I copied from the Guardian, you would have seen this:

Robert McNeil, deputy director of the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, said: “The issue of citizenship and residence rights for Commonwealth migrants in the UK who arrived before and during the early 1970s does not just affect those from the Caribbean. Tens of thousands of people from other Commonwealth countries in Asia, Africa, the Americas and elsewhere may also be in the same boat – even though they didn’t arrive on the Windrush.”
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Who are you to edit my post?

I would worry about your own posts before you start editing those of others.
A brief explanation which makes you look like a silly billy.

I quoted a post by you and replied.

On rereading your post and my reply I realised I had misread your post and my reply was STUPID.

Just to point out a small FACT that I edited MY OWN post and not yours.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 11:18 PM

Well given the track record of the Home Office we don't know if they were all legal or illegal do we? It appears that the Home Office has had a negative attitude to anyone who is not born here. I read an article today about a former British high commissioner in Trinidad and Tobago who tried to register his child as a British citizen. He said "the Home Office treats everyone with disdain to the point of absurdity". "It's a hostility policy that falls heaviest on those who have the least".

But is this about people actually being deported or people being threatened with deportation? Because Windrush is about people who were here legally being threatened with deportation and hounded sometimes for years. People who are here legally being told they have no rights and no access to healthcare and social security etc. People who don't have the right records to prove legality. I don't think we know how many have been forced to leave because that information hasn't been released. But we do know that one man has died from the stress of being hounded. I'm sure there will be more similar stories. A very stressed Amber Rudd has admitted to the select committee that she does not know how many are affected.

The threat of deportation and withdrawal of services is awful for people who are often vulnerable and insecure about their position in British society, as they have often had to deal with racism and rejection all their lives. It's not like these people have had easy lives here. I can't understand why you don't see how shocking it is that they have had to deal with such shoddy treatment after living here for so many years.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 05:41 AM

So how many Windrush children who arrived in this country before the 1973 act have been deported.

I accept in the past the children of these British children have had trouble from being excepted as British.

In the past we used this 1973 act to deport the Yardies back to Jamacia.

You should listern to the callers on LBC who came over in the 60s and expressed how diffecalt it was to get British passports for their children.

Sorry did not use spell checker this time because I don't give a S..t about my spelling.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 07:48 AM

The evil witch is trying to hide behind the civil servants in the Home Office and not take any responsibility for the debacle whatsoever!!!

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b061c0bfa3bd3e
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well given the track record of the Home Office we don't know if they were all legal or illegal do we? It appears that the Home Office has had a negative attitude to anyone who is not born here. I read an article today about a former British high commissioner in Trinidad and Tobago who tried to register his child as a British citizen. He said "the Home Office treats everyone with disdain to the point of absurdity". "It's a hostility policy that falls heaviest on those who have the least".

But is this about people actually being deported or people being threatened with deportation? Because Windrush is about people who were here legally being threatened with deportation and hounded sometimes for years. People who are here legally being told they have no rights and no access to healthcare and social security etc. People who don't have the right records to prove legality. I don't think we know how many have been forced to leave because that information hasn't been released. But we do know that one man has died from the stress of being hounded. I'm sure there will be more similar stories. A very stressed Amber Rudd has admitted to the select committee that she does not know how many are affected.

The threat of deportation and withdrawal of services is awful for people who are often vulnerable and insecure about their position in British society, as they have often had to deal with racism and rejection all their lives. It's not like these people have had easy lives here. I can't understand why you don't see how shocking it is that they have had to deal with such shoddy treatment after living here for so many years.
I do understand that SOME people have received less than satisfactory treatment but that is going to be put right and they have been promised compensation.

For other people the move to the UK (as commonwealth citizens) has proved to be a good decision and they have had happy lives and done well for themselves. Our country needed them and they worked hard. Remember, they didnt have to come it was their choice and they hoped for a better life and for most of them it has been because they have chosen to stay here rather than return to live in the West Indies.

As Ive said my friend moved here and has only ever been back to the WI a few times in the 60 years she has been here. She has had a good life here and has no regrets about coming to settle here. She has travelled extensively and never encountered problems because she has a British passport.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

26-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The evil witch is trying to hide behind the civil servants in the Home Office and not take any responsibility for the debacle whatsoever!!!

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b061c0bfa3bd3e
Ha ha from Yvette Cooper who was part of the crackdown on immigrants in 2014. Plus she’s married to the ridiculous Ed Balls.

Page 15 of 24 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top