Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 01:25 PM

It takes all sorts

They say it takes allsorts, and it is seems true.

Take these people for example - there are some folks camping outside St. Mary's Hospital in London, all draped in Union Jack's , hoping the next royal baby (Kate's) will be born today as it is the Queen's birthday.
Bookies are even offering odds of 8/1 that it will be delivered today.

But camping out?? Why?
How is that going to help anything? I think they are more than a little weird, personally.
What amused me even more is that Kate is happily at home, she's not even in labour, so she's not even at the hospital!

It is like those who camp out for sales in shops etc, too.

Has anyone here ever camped out for an event?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: It takes all sorts

No I've never camped out for anything - not even massive reductions in the sales could tempt me to camp on the street.

Stupid people - that's all I can say. Kate's baby might be a week late....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=carol;1400028]No I've never camped out for anything - not even massive reductions in the sales could tempt me to camp on the street.

Stupid people - that's all I can say. Kate's baby might be a week late....[
/QUOTE]

I know. I totally agree, Carol.
They must be bonkers.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I've never camped out for shopping but I have for events.

One of my favourite "camp-out" regulars was for RSC Stratford-on-Avon plays in the 1960's. My friends and I had very little money and could not afford to pay for seats but, luckily, the RSC offered standing room only at the back of the stalls for a nominal sum but only on the day of the performance. However, demand was substantial, so would-be "standers" took to queuing earlier and earlier, eventually starting after the performance the night before!

Usually, we had a couple of pints in the "Dirty Duck", where we frequently bumped into well-known actors, before dossing down on the pavement outside the theatre. It was not unknown for some of the well-known actors to pass by and wish us "Goodnight" - Judi Dench, Eric Porter, Donald Sinden, Diana Rigg, Patrick Wymark, Ian Holm, David Warner were some that passed by .....
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They say it takes allsorts, and it is seems true.

Take these people for example - there are some folks camping outside St. Mary's Hospital in London, all draped in Union Jack's , hoping the next royal baby (Kate's) will be born today as it is the Queen's birthday.
Bookies are even offering odds of 8/1 that it will be delivered today.

But camping out?? Why?
How is that going to help anything? I think they are more than a little weird, personally.
What amused me even more is that Kate is happily at home, she's not even in labour, so she's not even at the hospital!

Never in a million years would I consider doing such a thing for any event.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've never camped out for shopping but I have for events.

One of my favourite "camp-out" regulars was for RSC Stratford-on-Avon plays in the 1960's. My friends and I had very little money and could not afford to pay for seats but, luckily, the RSC offered standing room only at the back of the stalls for a nominal sum but only on the day of the performance. However, demand was substantial, so would-be "standers" took to queuing earlier and earlier, eventually starting after the performance the night before!

Usually, we had a couple of pints in the "Dirty Duck", where we frequently bumped into well-known actors, before dossing down on the pavement outside the theatre. It was not unknown for some of the well-known actors to pass by and wish us "Goodnight" - Judi Dench, Eric Porter, Donald Sinden, Diana Rigg, Patrick Wymark, Ian Holm, David Warner were some that passed by .....
Omah, I must have bumped into you at some point then, as l used to go to the ‘Dirty Duck’ a lot, and the ‘Queen’s Head’ nearby!

In the 1960’s, I had a boyfriend who worked on the lighting for the plays at Stratford theatre and he would take me to parties where l also saw Judy Dench, Helen Mirren, Don Henderson, the director, Peter Hall and others. Some of the actors weren’t so well known then, as they are now!!

Going back to the question. l have never camped out but one Boxing Day, l went out very early to a furniture store to secure an expensive three piece suite that had been reduced in the Sale!!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Never in a million years would I consider doing such a thing for any event.
Me neither.
👍
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:14 PM

Nor me! Got better things to do!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In the 1960’s, I had a boyfriend who worked on the lighting for the plays at Stratford theatre and he would take me to parties where l also saw Judy Dench, Helen Mirren, Don Henderson, the director, Peter Hall and others. Some of the actors weren’t so well known then, as they are now!!
I never bumped into Helen Mirren, but I'm sure I saw her performing naked in a role, but I can't remember the name of the play .....

Regarding the actors, it seems to me that almost all of the Shakespearean actors of that generation eventually became famous, probably because the burgeoning TV industry catapaulted them into people's living rooms - almost all of the then new BBC2 audience (8 million) tuned in to watch Soames rape Irene in black and white .....

I met Nyree Dawn Porter, much later and in colour, while shopping on Oxford Street - she was stunningly gorgeous to a callow youth like me and I was lost for words - luckily, I think she was used to wide-eyed, gaping men and she indulged me with several minutes of touching pleasantries .....

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:24 PM

I can't think of any more stupid action that camping out for Kate's baby .
They must be total crackpots .
I hope that none of them have bred children goodness knows what they have added to the gene pool.

(Meanwhile I reckon she will have another boy and it will be named Michael .)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top