Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Re: Does anyone ever boil eggs in the kettle?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good idea! My washing machine hasn't been plumbed in yet and I' m running out of smalls!
My mum had a big bucket type thing with a lid for boiling her drawers in!
Are you going to boil them with your eggs?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
These are the eggs that three of my five hens have laid.
I love them soft boiled with brown bread and butter. They are gorgeous, with orange yolks!
I experienced this on a holiday with a family in Inverness-shire - their hens laid eggs with yolks that were the most orange I've ever seen. How come free range eggs from the supermarket don't have that shade of orange?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I experienced this on a holiday with a family in Inverness-shire - their hens laid eggs with yolks that were the most orange I've ever seen. How come free range eggs from the supermarket don't have that shade of orange?
Ffosse, Marigolds are added to the feed that l use.
Some of the yolks are sometimes a red orange. I don’t think it’s blood mixed in with them!!

PS. I don’t usually buy supermarket eggs but if l do, l always buy Clarence Court Burford Browns or Clarence Court Old Cotswold Legbars (which are blue shelled!)

Both these breeds produce delicious dark orange yolks. At a little over £2 for six eggs, they are a bit expensive but are well worth it.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 06:04 PM

Oh, I fancy blue eggs.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I don’t usually buy supermarket eggs but if l do, l always buy Clarence Court Burford Browns or Clarence Court Old Cotswold Legbars (which are blue shelled!)
mmmmm ..... I fancy some of those:

They remind me of Enceladus:

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
mmmmm ..... I fancy some of those:

They remind me of Enceladus:

I did keep Cotswold Legbars for the blue and pastel coloured eggs. The fox got one of them and the other died of old age.

I still have an Araucana hen that laid blue eggs but she is 8yrs old now and hasn’t laid this year.

Some people don’t like the idea of blue, green or pinky coloured egg shells but they really are delicious!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Remember when most eggs came in brown or white? Now you never see the white; I wonder why that is.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Remember when most eggs came in brown or white? Now you never see the white; I wonder why that is.
I remember Dreamy, no idea why it changed.
I was also thinking about Duck Eggs. I don't like them, but many people do. Not that they would fit in your kettle mind.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Apparently white fell out of fashion; people perceived brown to be more healthy, like brown bread.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 07:00 PM

I buy my eggs from my milkman who, in turn, buys from a farm that is salmonella free and their hens all free range brown burfords - the eggs are beautiful.

and - no - I do not boil them in the kettle.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top