Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:37 PM

Re: The Frogs are demanding now!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You remainiacs must be rubbing your hands with glee!

It seems that the first of our concessions have now been handed to the EU: EU immigration will be allowed to continue for the next five years (at least).

You know, it has been at the back of my mind all along that we shall give in to them when push comes to shove. The referendum was rather pointless because whatever we voted for, at the end of the day, it is the politicians who will do things the way they want to, no doubt for their own benefit.

It was the same in Ireland some years ago. I think we must accept that we shall not leave the EU after all. The Conservatives, who I have voted for all my life, have let us down. Next, I expect them to agree to pay £100 billion to be allowed to remain under the same situation as Norway.

I said before in our poll that if the referendum result is not followed up to the letter, I shall not bother voting again. Goodbye democracy; goodbye Britain!

Actually, I can't think of any other party that is worth voting for. UKIP appears to be dead and buried.

On the other hand, at my time of life perhaps I should vote for Labour and at least gain some financial benefit from their magic money tree. Who cares what the consequences are in another 40 or so years?
Hi

You really do not get it do you?

I am no remainiac and i am certainly not rubbing my hands with glee.

On the contrary, I am hanging my head in shame at the mess we have got ourselves into.

Emphasis on the we.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Time to get Nigel back and UKIP revived. If we leave it too long it will be too late.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Only got to page two of this thread.

I truly despair, these same posters have the vote, they decide my grand children's future.

Is this pub banter or a serious discussion ?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
Time to get Nigel back and UKIP revived. If we leave it too long it will be too late.
Last thing we need!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You really do not get it do you?

I am no remainiac and i am certainly not rubbing my hands with glee.

On the contrary, I am hanging my head in shame at the mess we have got ourselves into.

Emphasis on the we.
I'm not suggesting you are either of those things.

And, as a matter of fact, this latest concession (and no doubt many more to come) would confirm that the mess we are in is due to our politicians.

If UKIP had gained a majority in Parliament, we would be walking away from the EU now, and damn the consequences.

That is what I was hoping for from the Conservatives, but they have now shown themselves to be weak.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm not suggesting you are either of those things.

And, as a matter of fact, this latest concession (and no doubt many more to come) would confirm that the mess we are in is due to our politicians.

If UKIP had gained a majority in Parliament, we would be walking away from the EU now, and damn the consequences.

That is what I was hoping for from the Conservatives, but they have now shown themselves to be weak.
Hi

First of all, thank you for understanding.

However, walking away and damn the consequences is not a sensible option.

We need to forge new relationships with partners outside the EU.

In order to do that we need to show that we are a decent, honourable Country which respects International Law., that we do not just walk away when things do not suit us.

That way we can be become a new Singapore.

Singapore is a global commerce, finance and transport hub. Its standings include: the most "technology-ready" nation (WEF), top International-meetings city (UIA), city with "best investment potential" (BERI), second-most competitive country, third-largest foreign exchange market, third-largest financial centre, third-largest oil refining and trading centre, and the second-busiest container port. The country has also been identified as a tax haven.

A bastion of free trade, vast amounts of inwards investment,and, in spite of Tax Haven Status, much wealthier, a position currently held by Luxembourg, where Juncker was leader.

A much better standard of living, better services, lower tax.

I feel incredibly let down that we have run over big time by a drunken sot like Juncker, I feel ashamed we do not have the Politicians to outwit him.

We had the chance, even with the incredibly short timescale.

We could have had the systems in place to collect the tariffs, we could have had the infrastructure and systems and staff in place to control our Borders.

That would have changed the nature of the negotiations completely.

We have done none of this and the EU know it.

We have been beset instead by Political infighting.

My views on Theresa May are well known.

I have to say however, in all fairness to her, that given the bunch of idiots she has to deal with, it is not entirely her fault.

I would have strangled a few by now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:48 PM

Hi

First of all, thank you for understanding.

However, walking away and damn the consequences is not a sensible option.

We need to forge new relationships with partners outside the EU.

In order to do that we need to show that we are a decent, honourable Country which respects International Law., that we do not just walk away when things do not suit us.

Singapore is a global commerce, finance and transport hub. Its standings include: the most "technology-ready" nation (WEF), top International-meetings city (UIA), city with "best investment potential" (BERI), second-most competitive country, third-largest foreign exchange market, third-largest financial centre, third-largest oil refining and trading centre, and the second-busiest container port. The country has also been identified as a tax haven.

A bastion of free trade, vast amounts of inwards investment,and, in spite of Tax Haven Status, much wealthier, a position currently held by Luxembourg, where Juncker was leader.

A much better standard of living, better services, lower tax.

I feel incredibly let down that we have run over big time by a drunken sot like Juncker, I feel ashamed we do not have the Politicians to outwit him.

We had the chance, even with the incredibly short timescale.

We could have had the systems in place to collect the tariffs, we could have had the infrastructure and systems and staff in place to control our Borders.

That would have changed the nature of the negotiations completely.

We have done none of this and the EU know it.

We have been beset instead by Political infighting.

My views on Theresa May are well known.

I have to say however, in all fairness to her, that given the bunch of idiots she has to deal with, it is not entirely her fault.

I would have strangled a few by now.
What we have done, and what we haven't done, just point to one thing:
this country has had it.

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but I think not.

Our politicians seem to be taking the easy way out; just give them what they are demanding:

Free access for at least five years for anyone from the EU, no doubt pay them £100 billion, take any other demands they make on board.

We do not have sufficiently strong MPs. We need others of the calibre of Farage and Rees-Mogg, but there is little possibility of that happening.

I am convinced: the country has had it. You'll see.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 05:10 AM

To be honest I can't see Britain ever becoming another Singapore.

Singapore is a largely an homogeneous Chinese population with the work ethic that goes with that AND half (I use the term very loosely) the working population lives in Jahor Bahru and commutes from the much cheaper Malaysia daily.

The Singapore Dollar is approximately the same as an Australian Dollar and three times the value of the Malaysian Rm.

These are conditions that do not apply in the UK nor, I suspect, would the working population allow it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 07:22 AM

Hi

That is not in anyway required by EU Law.

The UK decided, on our own to pay them.

I have pointed this out many times on here.

The UK pays child benefit and child tax credits to almost 50,000 children who live in another EU country. The most common country of residence is Poland, where claims are made for almost 30,000 children. British rates are about four times those in Poland. The cost to the British taxpayer is just over £1 million per week. Only in four other EU countries do the rules allow for such payments to be made to non-resident children.

The UK guaranteed these payments, we should have just stopped them, the EU could have done nothing about them.

When Cameron swanned off early last year, he asked for permission to stop.

This was incredibly stupid, the effect was to ensure that the EU had jurisdiction over such payments.

He could have, and should have, just stopped them dead before he started his negotiations.

This mess is entirely down to our stupidity, why some continue to blame the EU is just beyond me.

There are numerous other examples of our stupidity which are being blamed on the EU, when they are entirely down to the UK and our own Politicians.
Totally agree with this Swim. Most of the stuff voted on in the referendum the government had power to change and could stick two fingers up at the EU, because that's what other countries do. What would they have done? Kicked us out? I don't think so with our contribution. We wasted all that clout by arguing with them instead of doing our own thing regardless of their opinion. Or maybe it was just convenient for politicians to blame EU regulations for our own failings.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
To be honest I can't see Britain ever becoming another Singapore.

Singapore is a largely an homogeneous Chinese population with the work ethic that goes with that AND half (I use the term very loosely) the working population lives in Jahor Bahru and commutes from the much cheaper Malaysia daily.
It also has a tiny population. Far easier to organise yourself if you are a small country with a fairly homogeneous population. Our infrastructure is extremely complicated and cumbersome. We have a massive and diverse population. Change costs money (lots of it)

They also have some draconian laws. Gay sex is illegal but walking naked in your own home is too (if you open the curtains). Chewing gum in banned and graffiti artists get caned. Although I must say I like the idea of a fine for not flushing a public toilet!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/things...15-7?r=US&IR=T

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top