Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Aurthur Scargill, the miners' hero.

It seems that Aurthur is in dispute with his own union over what expenses he can claim as being part of his retirement package. he is claiming, among other things, that the £35,000 rent on his London flat is part of the package. So much for his principles !!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Re: Aurthur Scargill, the miners' hero.

That's one thing which always annoys me about 'left wingers' they think everyone should be equal except of course themselves
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 12:31 PM

So true Meg. During the miners strike we lived not very far away from Peter Heathfield, who was evidently quite devoted to Scargill. We certainly didn't see him suffering, he wasn't standing in the streets with his collection bucket or getting his electricity cut off, neither was Scargill. "Follow my leader" is fine for the leaders but really not good for the followers !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm amazed that anyone is amazed by this; union leaders are primarily out to make an easy living for themselves and it is their prime objective, just like the politicians and business people they purport to despise. Undiluted hypocrisy...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Somebody needs to tell Scargill that because there are not many miners left these days, the union subscriptions are not coming in, so there is not enough money in the pot to pay for his very generous pension and add ons. He must cut his cloth. I am sure without his flat in London and his vehicles he would still manage to live very well.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Well he did set himself up with a great contract of employment, so it should be honoured.
Now it does seem wrong but it is the people who countersigned the contract who are at fault, but I feel he should come to some sort of deal with his union.
But there is every chance the court will find in his favour, tough that might teach them a lesson.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Somebody needs to tell Scargill that because there are not many miners left these days, the union subscriptions are not coming in, so there is not enough money in the pot to pay for his very generous pension and add ons. He must cut his cloth. I am sure without his flat in London and his vehicles he would still manage to live very well.
You seem to forget that this is a man of principle, and a deal is a deal. Besides, isn't he worth it for all that he did for the miners....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
You seem to forget that this is a man of principle, and a deal is a deal. Besides, isn't he worth it for all that he did for the miners....
Who says he is a man of principle Barry As for worth it ... as I said before he did as much for the miners as Maggie did.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 10:10 PM

There are many takers, the CEO of a charitable organisation, is of the opinion that they are entitled to renumeration commensurate with that of others in the same position, within a private company, but the bottom line is that his/her coalface workers are doing some good for society. The CEO of a union likewise believes that they are entitled to the same renumeration, because the coalface workers have had their standard of living raised by "the managements" representation for them. The CEO of a PLC is only concerned with the reducing of a workforce to keep costs down, and has no social concience, so drawing parallels is of no consequence IMO.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2012, 07:14 AM

This is what I have been telling you all, Union officials are only in it for themselves and their egos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top