Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:54 PM

First reading book at school

The comic book thread has led me to start this thread.

Everyone seems to have started in primary with the Janet and John books. We started with the Dick and Dora books. I was telling someone at work and he said "for god sake don't google Dick and Dora - god knows what'll come up". But it's true. It was Dick and Dora, and Nip the dog and Fluff the cat. Was it only us who had those books? Surely not?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:56 PM

Re: First reading book at school

I can't remember having any special reading books at school .... definitely not Janet and John or the others mentioned
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I can't remember having any special reading books at school .... definitely not Janet and John or the others mentioned
Mags I started primary school in 1962. Don't know if that makes any difference
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:05 PM

I remember Peter and Jane Books , were they for myself or my Children i m not sure now ,
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Mags I started primary school in 1962. Don't know if that makes any difference
Definitely does!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:08 PM

The only one that I can remember is Aesop's Fables.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Was Janet and John for me but my husband remembers Dick and Dora books. So may just be different schools using different books. He started school in 1965 in Farnham and I started in 1966 in Woking.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:11 PM

I don't remember Janet and John books either, not sure what we had...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:49 PM

I faintly remember a book called Henny Penny and the Seven Little Chicks, of course the chicks in those days were the ones that hatched out of eggs. Henny got into all sorts of situations with her chicks, but she always managed to get them all home safely into the henhouse at the end of the day, great the way everything ended up safe and happy, pity we all had to go out into the real world and spoil it all.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

14-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I faintly remember a book called Henny Penny and the Seven Little Chicks, of course the chicks in those days were the ones that hatched out of eggs. Henny got into all sorts of situations with her chicks, but she always managed to get them all home safely into the henhouse at the end of the day, great the way everything ended up safe and happy, pity we all had to go out into the real world and spoil it all.
Jem, that reminds me of the Ladybird books I used to read to my children when they were small ...... Henny Penny, Turkey Lurkey, Goosey Loosey ...... there were quite a few and I think I must have bought the whole set, they were well illustrated in bright colours and my children never tired of listening to the same stories over and over again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top