Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I just don't get the need to fill a kitchen full of gadgets I can make perfect soup in a large saucepan .
Does a soup maker chop and sweat off the vegetables, if not what is the benefit of one.

The best aid to making soup is the freshest vegetables organic if possible.

Likewise bread makers, do they make bread sticks and bread rolls as well as square loaves if not what is the point of them cluttering up the kitchen .
yep a saucepan, peeler , knife.

Bread . ingredients , trays , oven
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 07:44 PM

I tried the soup maker today and l’m really disappointed with it.
It wouldn’t work and E133 kept coming up on the display.
I took a little of the liquid out and it then worked but the soup was horrible. The vegetables were still raw and the soup tasteless! I had to finish cooking it in a saucepan!
I’m going to take the soup maker back and go back to a saucepan and Bamix!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 08:05 PM

Sorry it’s not worked out for you as I know you really wanted one

I still don’t think you can beat the saucepan and stick blender method though. You have complete control over your final product
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 08:30 PM

Sorry to hear that, very dissapointing.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 10:51 PM

Hmmmm, glad I didn't bother. I too prefer the saucepan and blender method.

Sis made celery and potato soup recently but had over salted it! Not heard of that combo.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 11:09 PM

I use my pressure cooker for soups, so quick and easy. Slow cooker can also be used but haven’t tried soups in that yet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 12:16 AM

Thank you for all your replies.

Jazzi, l once read, if you put too much salt in stews, soups etc, to put slices of bread in and it absorbs the salt! I once tried it and it worked.

Val, l usually do turkey or chicken soup with the carcasses in my pressure cooker. It only takes 20 minutes and is really tasty. You couldn’t put bones or carcass in a soup maker!!

Missy and Julie, Thank You for your commiserations!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I use my pressure cooker for soups, so quick and easy. Slow cooker can also be used but haven’t tried soups in that yet.
It's really nice when you just want to toss everything together and let it cook itself all day. Especially nice when you just don't have time to 'babysit' the soup and give it stirs now and again, etc. If I'm making vegetable soup, I cook it on low for about 8-9 hours so the veggies get nice and tender and all the flavors blend. But if you want it sooner, you can cook it on high, although I don't know how long it would take because I've never cooked soup on high before.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank you for all your replies.

Jazzi, l once read, if you put too much salt in stews, soups etc, to put slices of bread in and it absorbs the salt! I once tried it and it worked.

Val, l usually do turkey or chicken soup with the carcasses in my pressure cooker. It only takes 20 minutes and is really tasty. You couldn’t put bones or carcass in a soup maker!!

Missy and Julie, Thank You for your commiserations!
You can also toss in a peeled raw potato. The potato absorbs the excess sodium.

Thanks for the review on the soup maker. It definitely gives perspective, does it not? It's best to cook it the old fashioned way. Niiiiiiiiiiice and slowwwwwwwwwww.

I felt that way (very disappointed) when I bought a juicer. It took tons of produce just to yield a tiny little amount. That's one kitchen appliance that no longer graces the presence of the rest of them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Juicer in use daily here, Nathan's not a fruit fan but will drink juice and smoothies so we have both gadgets.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 04:11 PM

That's good you use it. Fresh juice is the best. I love carrot juice. But I decided my juicer was more hassle than it was worth.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top