Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Home insurance

I got my renewal papers from Saga a few days ago and noticed they want another couple of pounds a month from me.

So I went onto comparison websites first, then onto Saga website to check for a new policy.

If I drop out the Legal Expenses portion, reduce the amount to cover, and pay all upfront, instead of monthly, and cancel the existing policy to take out a new one (they add £20 renewal fee), I could save nearly £77 by staying with the same company!!

I only need contents cover as building is included in my rent/service charge.

Might phone them tomorrow to say that I'm not prepared to pay such a high sum, what will they offer me?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Re: Home insurance

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I got my renewal papers from Saga a few days ago and noticed they want another couple of pounds a month from me.

So I went onto comparison websites first, then onto Saga website to check for a new policy.

If I drop out the Legal Expenses portion, reduce the amount to cover, and pay all upfront, instead of monthly, and cancel the existing policy to take out a new one (they add £20 renewal fee), I could save nearly £77 by staying with the same company!!

I only need contents cover as building is included in my rent/service charge.

Might phone them tomorrow to say that I'm not prepared to pay such a high sum, what will they offer me?
I put mine away every week Jazzi and then pay it for the whole year. The first year it might be hard to stump up the full amount, but once you've paid it it's worth it.

Check for similar cover on the comparison websites and then contact Saga and hit them with the cheaper quote, most companies will concede and knock some off Jazzi.
If they don't, give em a swerve and go for a different company, being loyal to one company means nothing these days. Good luck.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Thanks OGF. I don't have a problem paying it off. I have a good monthly income, and I have savings. I just don't see why I should pay a highly inflated price, when it could be obtained - through the same company - cheaper.

Shall phone tomorrow.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 06:22 PM

I have found SAGA to be quite expensive compared to other insurance company's so I shop around on the comparison sites. It might be worth looking. It could save you a good few pounds
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Try your bank.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Well done for investigating Jazzi, hope you sort it out in your favour a.s.a.p. Good on yer gal.

I get a nervous twitch when I think of anything to do with house insurance because I have had a running battle with my lot since late 2010. You've perhaps seen bits I've posted over the years.
Still not sorted, even though the the Ombudsman ruled in my favour. Now am waiting for the building instpector to get back to me.
It has been absolutely draining, seriously.
Can't get shot of them either, not while this claim is still ongoing.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 08:41 PM

I have fond SAGA to be very expensive, its good to look around and mention this to them that yo feel its getting too expensive. Cover should go down if you are not claiming.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Shop around, girl.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Never stick with he same insurance year in year out, you are hooked and now they reel in the money
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

13-02-2017, 02:38 PM

I only have a one bedroom flat but do like my gadgets, so should probably sit down one day and calculate the cost of renewal. The premiums usually offer cover for like £40,000, or £75,000.

Well, I shouldn't think my belonging are close to any of those figures, but suppose I may be surprised. I don't have jewellery, but do have books, records and CDs which are priceless, and collections that would be impossible to reproduce.

Never made a claim.

Yes, will continue to have a careful look at what's on offer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top