Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Re: Sat Navs or knowledge?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Blimey Primus, when I first read this I thought you meant it warns you of MINES.......I hadn't come across those on the motorway before....

I can see what you mean foxy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rehab44 ->
it was produced in afghanistan
Nice one Rehab...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Blimey Primus, when I first read this I thought you meant it warns you of MINES.......I hadn't come across those on the motorway before....
They're called fixed camera's, just as deadly
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
They're called fixed camera's, just as deadly
They are worse Primus, because they hurt you where no one can see the bruises....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 10:03 AM

I haven't got a satnav but don't drive far these days. I wouldn't want one either much preferring to use a map.

When returning home from a day out in the Forest of Dean in my sons car with 3 tired and grumpy little ones the satnave took up miles down a narrow road which eventually turned out to be closed and resulted in our journey being made twice as long.
Had we used my tried and tested route there would't have been a problem.

I plan routs with a map and write down (or these days print out) key points of the journey. It has always worked well for me .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Hi

Local knowledge is important.

Do Not go on the A53/A41 junction on Sunday evenings, a total nightmare as hundreds of Lorries leave to fill up the Supermarkets with pies and yoghurts.

Do not go North on the A49/A41 on Tuesday , the lorries are going to the NI Ferries.

Do not go to Stoke on Trent before 10 on a Saturday or Sunday, it is the link to the M6, full of lorries transporting stuff to the Supermarket Warehouses, it will be 20 minutes quicker if you leave at 10am.

Friday nights in Summer, avoid the A5, the Birmingham Armada are on their way to the Coast.

Apart from that, a traffic jam is two tractors at the crossroads.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I haven't got a satnav but don't drive far these days. I wouldn't want one either much preferring to use a map.

When returning home from a day out in the Forest of Dean in my sons car with 3 tired and grumpy little ones the satnave took up miles down a narrow road which eventually turned out to be closed and resulted in our journey being made twice as long.
Had we used my tried and tested route there would't have been a problem.

I plan routs with a map and write down (or these days print out) key points of the journey. It has always worked well for me

That's exactly what I do Meg. I make a note of the towns or villages I ought to be passing through and stick my bit of paper where I can see it.

Now then Swimmy, care to hazard a guess how much time we should allow to get from Wellingborough to Solihull next Tuesday, to arrive for a 1 pm appointment?

On Monday I shall also put out a reminder to you good people that I may be missing without leave for a few days, whilst we bumble about the countryside looking for the roads we are supposed to be on.

If I text in a panic, my chivalrous Dongles has kindly offered to track me and guide me back home. What a star.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's exactly what I do Meg. I make a note of the towns or villages I ought to be passing through and stick my bit of paper where I can see it.

Now then Swimmy, care to hazard a guess how much time we should allow to get from Wellingborough to Solihull next Tuesday, to arrive for a 1 pm appointment?

On Monday I shall also put out a reminder to you good people that I may be missing without leave for a few days, whilst we bumble about the countryside looking for the roads we are supposed to be on.

If I text in a panic, my chivalrous Dongles has kindly offered to track me and guide me back home. What a star.
Hi

Easy Peasy trip, A14, M6, an hour and a half max.

You then have parking in Solihull, which is a nightmare, so allow 2 hours.

You will need a big ball of wool to tie to your car and find your way back to it if you are going into the centre.

Fantastic shopping though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Thank you Swims.

I hope you will miss me a little, if I'm gone for a very long time.
Can I leave you in charge of my dogs in my absence please? Be patient with the two young 'uns won't you, and don't forget to keep emptying Gertie's shopping bag as she adds to her collection.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 06:06 PM

I do the same as Meg and Mups.

Use sat nav, road map, written instructions, and road signs.

Though I have been let down by Garmin Nuvi before on occasions and had to stop somewhere and consult the road map.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top