Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Memory Foam Mattress Yea or Nay

I had very little furniture when I moved in and a local church who had closed down a care home they ran kindly gave me some items.
The bed has now given up the ghost (literally, I don't know how many could have died in this thing) so while looking at beds at the cheaper end of the market I'm seeing many advertise memory foam mattresses. Are they any good or are sprung mattresses better
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Re: Memory Foam Mattress Yea or Nay

Memory foam is very warm, very very warm ( says a woman of an age where flushes are a problem ). Also not all memory foam is equal, some brands are better then others. Same as all mattresses

I have a high end sprung mattress with a memory foam top, something I wished I hadn't bothered with and just stuck with the sprung mattress.

Best thing is to go to the bed shops and try them out. Really try them out , lie as you usually sleep and lie a while. Don't let sales people talk you into buying, take your time. Take notes of the mattresses you like and then check out prices online to get the best price. You can even haggle with shops to get a better price. Don't forget you spend a third of your life in bed, get the mattress that suits you. Think I spent three days finding our mattress
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Hi Missy, thanks for that lucky you told me as I'm always too warm in bed anyway. I think I will go for the spring mattress instead in fact I'm thinking of just getting a single bed rather than a double as it would give me more room in the bedroom to put a table or desk.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Purchased 2 single dormeo memory foam mattresses last month, for Mrs Rehab and myself, (we have adjustable beds) They replaced two memory foam mattresses that had come to the end of their lives.
I must admit they are wonderful, very comfortable. They are a bit thicker than the previous models, a medium firm type.
If you suffer from arthritis or joint pain maybe these might help, Dreams the suppliers will allow you 60 days of sleeping on them, hope this helps
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 02:05 PM

Memory foam is too warm and sticky making for me. I prefer an orthopaedic mattress.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Memory foam mattresses are a waste of money because within a few months they absolutely WILL suffer from fatigue and will lose their springiness. What started as a flat mattress will simply then be a big indent where your body has been and that will become uncomfortable very quickly.

It is not economic to buy cheap when it comes to mattresses. It is a false economy. Pay upwards of £1000 for a good sprung mattress from the outset and then add to that a "Topper" to protect it.

A Topper is vital. It's a very thin item, usually 5 inches to 7 inches in depth but it absorbs most of your body shape whilst the main mattress beneath provides all of its support from the many springs.

The topper, like a plain mattress will over time suffer fatigue and become uncomfortable. When it does, you then just replace the topper rather than replace the main mattress.

This way your expensive mattress will last many years.

It IS definitely worth doing your research here. Jumping for the big mattress brands would be a mistake imo. They are poorly made, have low grade materials inside and won't last.

This website has a wealth of info and helped me buy my mattress and topper.

I've set the link up to provide question and answers on the topic of spring matresses vs foam mattresses.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/ask-a...spring+vs+foam

Have a good read.

I ended up buying one of their Origin Reflex Beds with 2000 springs. Here's the version with 1500 springs:

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/produ...e_pa_size=king

I bought a topper from a different company. The topper was 7 inch memory foam.

It I were to give you 2 pieces of key advice it would be these:

1. Go for a proper sprung main mattress not memory foam

2. Ensure that the mattress is completely double sided so you can rotate it regularly in all directions (vital for long life)

Don't buy a single sided mattress. It will wear into your body shape too quickly.

Summary:

Double sided sprung main mattress made of good materials
plus
Topper mattress of whatever material suits you.

Good luck
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 03:07 PM

We are on holiday and the beds are memory foam. OH says its remembered the fat so &so who was here before us..

I feel as if I'm sleeping in a ditch !
Mondays child
United Kingdom

17-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
We are on holiday and the beds are memory foam. OH says its remembered the fat so &so who was here before us..

I feel as if I'm sleeping in a ditch !
😁😁😁
I think that confirms it spring mattress does sound better at the moment
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Precisely the problem. Foam mattresses will just not last. It's totally impossible for them to last. They are over-priced crap.

By all means, get a memory foam topper. I enjoy the moulded shape and support that memory foam provides but I know it won't last so buying a cheap topper is fine.

Defo sprung mattress beneath though
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 03:34 PM

Memory foam.
Got one that's now 10 years old, maybe 11, and it's only now showing signs of dipping and lumpiness. It was expensive at the time if I remember right.
It took me a year or two to break it in. It was that firm I felt like I was lying on top of a sacrificial altar. Didn't find it that comfy cos of that.
Otherwise, very very warm as has been already said ... and I wouldn't have another one.

Combi Traditional Sprung Mattress with Memory Foam in the Coils.
This seems to be a hybrid type that's emerged since I got my memory mattress. Can recommend it.
Feels like a traditional mattress with added support and is warm but not too warm.
It was from Argos, a cheapy compared to some, and I bought it in a bag, all rolled up and factory compressed, took it home and left it to 'grow' to full size on the floor.
It's amazingly lightweight and if I fling it around when spring cleaning I have to watch I don't knock the ceiling lightshades , as I did the first time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top