Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Blue bells

We inherited with our caravan a big tub of blue bells they were growing so well they had spilled out of the tub into the grass and were half way across the lawn.

We dug up the ones in the lawn and dried them out and took some out of the tub and planted them in a bigger area.

Just getting out the bulbs I wondered do we plant them same time as the daffs ? Or have we killed them drying them out, it wasn't deliberate, we just forgot to replant them
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Re: Blue bells

I always thought you leave them in the ground and like with Snowdrops if you move them its when they have some green on them.

But then buying them for the first time they would be dormant and in a dried state , I can only say trial and error , if they come up you have struck it lucky .
I do know they can be invasive thats why you see woodlands covered in them , beautiful sight though .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Yes they certainly got out of their tub and took over the lawn so invasive seems a good word for them. I think we'll stick them in and see if they come up. We've got a hedge about 15 foot tall we are hoping to put them under. The original pot came from under there so it seems a good place to put them back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I always thought you leave them in the ground and like with Snowdrops if you move them its when they have some green on them.

But then buying them for the first time they would be dormant and in a dried state , I can only say trial and error , if they come up you have struck it lucky .
I do know they can be invasive thats why you see woodlands covered in them , beautiful sight though .

Julie, I agree with Eliza, I would have replanted them straightaway.
Oh well, you'll soon find out if they've survived or not.

p.s. keep them away from the dogs, as most bulbs are poisonous to them, but I expect you already know that.

Some really useful info here for you about planting Julie:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blo...ing-bluebells/
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Are you sure that they are English bluebells? The one's that have flowers on a thicker stem with the flowers all around it are foreigners, very invasive and a devil of a job to control as the bulbs get bigger each year and go really deep down in the soil. English bluebells are much more delicate looking and only flower on one side of the stem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-09-2017, 04:03 PM

They look like type you find in woods so I think they are English, and we are planting them in the front and down the hedge at the side of the van where the dogs aren't ever allowed. They have their play area round the back where we only grow things safe for them because Betty boo boo chihuahua is a dreadful plant chewer ! She must be related to a cow she virtually grazes in the garden
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 04:05 PM

I saw some Bluebells Bulbs Julie in a dried state in Wilcos. So i think you will be alright with Yours..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Thanks Eliza we will plant them they have two chances live or die.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top