Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 09:14 AM

Preferred carrier

Following on from elsewhere and criticism's of some carriers, who are you preferred choice.Long haul to America we have always gone with Virgin,only done a couple of short ones to Europe cattle class I'm afraid and the last time we went to Egypt was cramped with Thomsons.The MIL travelled a fair but only once with British Airways and stated she would never do it again,so choices?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Re: Preferred carrier

We have been travelling with Jet2 they are very polite and helpful, we have our bags checked in online and at the some of their hotels they take them to the airport for you as well so you just have to carry your hand luggage with you. I cannot bear to be cramped and have lots of people in front, behind and to the side of me so we usually go for extra leg room at the front which makes for a better flying experience.

I don't want to jinx it but we are flying short hall with them in a couple of weeks will let you know if anything changes.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Definitely Virgin when travelling to America. Extremely comfortable, more leg room, better meals on board, nothing too much trouble for the Cabin Crew.

We would never travel by Easy Jet, Mr Mags calls them cattle wagons
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Most short haul are the same although we have flown Ryanair once....and once was enough.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:58 PM

UAE, Swiss Air, KLM were all really good....not sure what they're like now.

Easy Jet and Jet2 have always delivered what they are there to do.

Speaking of budget airlines.....as a kid I was always excited when we stepped aboard a DC-10 belonging to the pioneer of budget airlines....Freddie Laker..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 11:27 PM

Malaysian Airlines for me; because they had a couple of mishaps you get a full service airline at budget carrier prices. as I visit Malaysia a lot it is also convenient to get my luggage carried through to my domestic flight (to Alor Star)

Any of the Asian airlines have been good to me, Singapore and Thai in particular seem very good but they are not as economic as they used to be.

I have used Air Asia they are very reasonable for short flights but I don't like them for longer flights (say over a couple of hours) - by the time you pay for your bags and food I don't think they are that cheap.

QANTAS used to be really good if expensive but since it has been privatised it is not a patch on the airline it used to be, I wouldn't fly with them now in spite of them still being the safest airline in the world.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 06:39 AM

Hi

Long Haul, it is Singapore, Emirates or Etihad for me.

BA Business Class is ace, even for Short Haul, but rarely go on them now.

I am stuck with Ryanair, it is horrible, but cheap and convenient to get to Lodz.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 07:15 AM

Longhaul it has to be Emirates. Their Dreamliner is fantastic.

I used to enjoy Virgin, but all their planes are now a bit dated and noisy and my last trip with them to/from Cuba in March, was really uncomfortable.

I went to Goa on Oman Air in January........never again - would pay extra to avoid them!

Shorthaul has to be Monarch. No need to pay for extra leg room - they are as comfortable as they need to be for short hops.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Longhaul it has to be Emirates. Their Dreamliner is fantastic.
I flew to the UK on Emirates and they were very good and well priced but now they are partners with QANTAS their prices are not so good and you might end up on a QANTAS flight anyway.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 09:14 AM

Most definitely Emirates or Virgin if going to the States. Worst ones are BA, Monarch, United Airlines, plus an internal carrier in China. I think the pilot must have said "There's the runway" and we were down, with several bounces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top